0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYM's Top 2010s Metal Albums 9: Sludge
    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:28am
Poll 9, for sludge metal.

I have rated precisely 8 sludge releases in my time on MMA, none of which are here, so no vote from me this time.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:51am
Same, don't think I've heard a single one of these.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:55am
Mariner. A Dawn to Fear does have potential to top it with more listens, but for now Mariner without any doubt.

Cult of Luna is a great place to start you two, if you want to explore atmo sludge. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 1:16am
Better to start with an album that's just them or with the collaboration?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 1:21am
Either really. Mariner is very much a Cult of Luna album. My first was Vertikal, which I liked very much but it was only with Mariner that I became an actual fan of the band. A Dawn to Fear was almost my top album of 2019 before repeated listens to Opeth unseated it. Honestly any of those releases would be a good first taste, but if you want to go further back, many seem to hold up Somewhere Along the Highway as their best. I've heard it once I think and it made a good first impression, but I'm nowhere near as familiar with it. But I'm not sure you could go wrong with any of their albums. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 1:27am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Mariner. A Dawn to Fear does have potential to top it with more listens, but for now Mariner without any doubt.

Cult of Luna is a great place to start you two, if you want to explore atmo sludge. 

I listened to Somewhere Along the Highway years ago and wasn't a fan, but maybe I'd feel different about it now.

There's some really great sludge from the last decade, but ignored by RYM. Obake and Whores. are two excellent sludge bands, and Floor's 2014 album was great.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 8:16am
Mariner as well, but there's so much good sludge missing here.  It's kind of a fringe subgenre I guess so most of the popular stuff is Brooklyn Vegan/Fantano atmosludge
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Mariner as well, but there's so much good sludge missing here.  It's kind of a fringe subgenre I guess so most of the popular stuff is Brooklyn Vegan/Fantano atmosludge

Yeah, the only non atmosludge band that I recognize in this list is High on Fire, it seems like regular sludge metal is largely ignored.

RYM loves to claim that they aren't influenced by Fantano in their ratings and popular albums, but it's so obvious they are more often than not. LOL
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:48am
I don't know if this will be any more to your liking but as a little deviation from the standard pattern of the poll series, poll 9.5.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 3:36pm
Another one I'll have to abstain from due to lack of familiarity.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic