MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toto - traditional metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toto - traditional metal
    Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 6:03pm
not to stretch the definiton of metal or anything but Toto have contributed some stuff to the genre in terms of heavy riffs and arangements and have dipped their toes into the genre more then once (like one metalish/har rock/prog metal song on all albums) some albums also have a heavyer sound then others most clear metal influence is on Isolation and Kingdom of Desire but the tital track on Falling in Between, Daves Gone Skiing is also prog metal, so is Better World

the riff in Hold the line is one of the most famous in heavy rock/metal circusses, and Steve Lukather is very metal influenced. + Simon Phillips is also a metal legend (on drums),

even djent

Edited by Balthamel - 05 Mar 2011 at 6:02pm
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 6:06pm
one of the darkest songs preformed, just massive

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 6:15pm
more metal

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 6:35pm
Thanks Chris, that will be plenty of samples for the trad team to make an evaluation.  They should get back to you within a few days, I should think.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 11:38am
more metalish

this song is just brutal and mean, pure technical onslought of pure virtouse exuberance

Edited by Balthamel - 06 Mar 2011 at 11:48am
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 1:44pm
I don't like thier chances of making it, but maybe the trad metal team think differently.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 1:50pm
have you heard the links, Stooge, plenty of heavyness
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 2:24pm
Heaviness =/= metal
Classic =/= metal
Good music =/= metal
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 1:40am
Toto are a great AOR band, like Journey, Boston, Styx et al - but personally I wouldn't categorise them as Metal.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 2:08am

another metal song
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Toto are a great AOR band, like Journey, Boston, Styx et al - but personally I wouldn't categorise them as Metal.

they are by far the heavyest of the bands (maybe exept Styx), Toto is much more aggressive then the other bands, they are not 100% metal, nor are they 100 % rock, nor 100% prog, nor 100 % funk or jazz,

toto are 30 % rock, 10 % jazz, 20% funk/r&b, 20% fusion, 10% metal and 10 % prog  
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 3:23am
I would think that a band would need to be at least 50% metal to belong on a metal archives - or we'd end up trying to measure the specific metal quotients of bands and adding all kinds of stuff.

Surely 10% wouldn't qualify anyone, would it?

How did you arrive at the 10% figure?

Wink
zdunne View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 9:29pm
I have to give my opinion on this.  I could see Toto as a fiton Prog Archives(I do think they should be added there under either Crossover, Heavy Prog or Prog Related) but I am not so sure about this site because I this is the second time(Nugent has also been suggested twice and has yet to be added though in my opinion he is a better fit on this site than Toto is) they have been suggested though they did not get on earlier and I am not sure they would pass this site if they were suggested.  I like Toto but I am not sure whether they fit this site because I doubt they would pass among the majority of members of this site given as they have been seen more as an AOR band with Heavy Rock/Prog leanings than a clearly defined metal band among most listeners

Edited by zdunne - 07 Mar 2011 at 9:31pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 12:35am
The collabs seem to be leaning towards no also, although that's not 100% confirmed yet
IndianaJones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndianaJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 9:33am
Come on, Toto is an AOR/pop-band with many slight hints of almost everything, but mainly they're AOR. Don't get me wrong, they're a cool band with loads of great music, especially on their earlier records, but calling them metal is just ridiculous. What's next, The Eagles? Beatles? Michael Jackson? I had to state my opinion, even though it may not have any effect on the outcome, because this really feels way off course to me. I would guess that if you ask a random metal listener wheter Toto should be considered as metal, 99% would say no.

Well that's just my two cents on the matter.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

The collabs seem to be leaning towards no also, although that's not 100% confirmed yet

As of now, I'm the only collab from the traditional team who's chimed in on the subject, but I don't believe Toto belongs in traditional heavy metal. Traditional heavy metal is a full metal genre, and semi-metal/heavy rock bands don't belong in this sub IMO.

If a hard rock genre opens up on MMA (which I believe is in the works), I would support Toto's addition in that genre. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

As of now, I'm the only collab from the traditional team who's chimed in on the subject, but I don't believe Toto belongs in traditional heavy metal. Traditional heavy metal is a full metal genre, and semi-metal/heavy rock bands don't belong in this sub IMO.

If a hard rock genre opens up on MMA (which I believe is in the works), I would support Toto's addition in that genre. Smile

It's a no from me as well, though if a hard rock genre is implemented they could easily fit in there.

Edited by The Block - 08 Mar 2011 at 2:53pm

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:27pm
im fine with that, just a litle testing of the system here  Wink looking forward to the hard rock subg.

Edited by Balthamel - 08 Mar 2011 at 11:28pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 3:54pm
Toto has been formally Rejected by the traditional heavy metal team. When (if) a hard rock sub is implemented, we support an addition over there. (That will probably require admin approval, though). Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic