Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz
    Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 2:09pm
While we're all eagerly awaiting the launch of JazzArchives, let's have the next best thing, an MMA jazz thread. Beer A platform for all that jazz except the metal up your ass, share your jazz stories and jazz album recommendations (the word jazz is starting to blur and lose meaning after saying it five times in two sentences). 

Do you like jazz? 

I spent ages actively disliking the traditional jazz sound, but a year or so ago something snapped in my head, and I found myself thoroughly enjoying it. I'm still a total novice at jazz, only really familiar with the giants like Davis and Coltrane, and just now I've started to get to know Mingus. Most of the time I find it extremely hard to tell one composition from another, there are just a few exceptions, but jazz to me is an immensely enjoyable soundscape that rewards really listening. I've noticed that modern fusion is not really my thing, yet, I haven't particularly enjoyed any fusion beyond Miles' 70s albums, Mahavishnu and to a lesser extent Weather Report. But I did catch a show, last summer in Prague, by a fusion group called Petr Zeman Quintet, and they blew me away completely. Hopefully they'll release something at some point. Free jazz is something I'm very interested in at the moment, I love the chaotic free stuff I've heard from Coltrane, Ascension and Interstellar Space that is.

Right now I've got My Favourite Things going Clap
<- Click on this!
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 2:36pm
I first got into jazz as a young'en, LOL or two years ago, with Miles Davis and from there it went to just random jazz artists until I ended up with the greatest of them all, Frank Zappa.The first album I ever got of his was Apostrophe and then We're Only in it For The Money and Joe's Garage. So yes I do like jazz, and I also play some jazz sax to go along with it. 

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 4:06pm
I'm a big fan of jazz music.  I got into jazz through my discovery of fusion bands when I was around 19.  First came Weather Report, and then Return to Forever.  I remember hearing Bitches Brew around the same time, but I didn't like it then.  A few years later, I re-visited Miles Davis and his music, and began to really like what I heard.  Eventually, I got into his non-electric stuff, and I was officially into jazz.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 4:17pm
I'm more into fusion-y stuff (Zappa, Return to Forever, Billy Cobham, Herbie Hancock, Mahavishnu, Weather Report, etc.), but I do also adore some traditional jazz albums. Particularly Dave Brubeck's Time Out, John Coltrane's Blue Train, and Miles Davis' Kind of Blue (and most of his discography, actually). 

Edited by J-Man - 23 Feb 2011 at 4:18pm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 5:39pm
Of course I'm a fan of jazz music.One of my favorite artists is Esbjorn Svensson(together with the other two members of the trio).
Inexistence is the true normality.
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 8:03pm
My Dad is a jazz freak (like bookcases full of CDs and Vinyl), and he seemed to have rubbed off on me Big smile
My favorites are Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Art Blakey, Christian McBride, and various fusion acts as well.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 3:13pm
I love Jazz.

Sadly I know little of it. I have some of the big albums by big names, some stuff by Al di Meola (who I love and was the first jazz I've ever heard) and luckily we have a jazz station where I live. So I listen to that often.
But yeah, outside of the big names I can't have much of a convo...so I cant wait for Jazz Archives to start up!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 4:20pm
^Ah yes, I'm highly anticipating Jazz Archives too! Is there any word to when it's debuting?
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 7:47am
My mother is really into jazz, so I've been listening to Miles, Coltrane, Stańko and many other, less known jazzmen since early childhood. Free and ethno jazz are my biggest loves.

Fantastic Magic Malik Mezzadri and his Orchestra:

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 7:31am
Strangely enough, I also like jazz from a certain period until a certain era close, a bit like prog and heavy metal

Real jazz (read worthy , according to moi, of course) starts roughly in 1959 and ends in 1969 or 1970, when jazz-rock fusion came in and made the rest seem quite obsolete.. It seems that everything before 59 (KoB or Time Out as the real starting point) bores me to shreads... it's simply old-timers' music to my ears .... Don't dislike it... just does absolutely nothing for me.

Jazz's never really recovered form the 70's JR/F tsunami, and it's certainly not the 80's ECM or associated artistes that reversed that tendency.... and it's certainly not Marsalis who's "pioneering" backwards (groundbreaking certainly NOT)to the 50's that will change that, either.

I'm not sure whether I should include acid-jazz into jazz, though.

Edited by Sean Trane - 04 Apr 2011 at 7:35am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 2:39am
Fusion for me Big smile
Holdsworth, Corea, Mahavishnu, Weather Report, Jaco, Bruford etc.

I Love all kinds of Jazz from Ragtime, Be Bop, New Orleans, Chicago, NY and of every Instrument, but I need to
really sit down one day, get a list going and find it all on Vinyl, get a Turn-table and go nuts!
Just Draw and discover some of the Classics and discover the new stuff.

Expand my senses Big smile But I PROMISE I wont discard my Metal and Prog as many do LOL . . . . really, I promise!

I think I was into Jazz since a kid, just like Rock and Contemporary Vocalists of the time (1960's) because of my
parents and then just on my own, good music is good music, especially when it challenges, thats what gets me
going Smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 24 Apr 2011 at 2:42am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic