MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So the new Stratovarius...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So the new Stratovarius...
    Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:12pm
Even with a new guitarist, impressive musicianship and decent songs, I have the same problem with Stratovarius. Timo Kotipelto's vocals. When he heads up into his upper ranges, he just sounds like a cartoon character.

Way back in the mid-late 90s, I got into Stratovarius when I was getting into the Power Metal boom happening at the time. I had Destiny and some other album I can't remember...I know I had two. Anyway, there was some good music to be found and some enjoyable moments. But after a while Kotipelto's voice just began to get on my nerves. He's got power and range, and good delivery...but his tone is just annoying to me...especially the higher he goes.

I thought that a decade-plus break from them and perhaps a new guitarist might present me with a different perspective, so I requested the promo of Elysium to review...no such luck. Good music, good songs, impressive musicians...I do not like Kotipelto's voice.

I don't understand...I like high-pitched vocals...Halford, Midnight, James Rivera, John Cyriis, etc...but Kotipelto gets on my nerves...it's the same with Hammerfall for me...good music, hate the vocals.

Oh well...there's plenty of other Power Metal to satisfy my tastes, I suppose...

Edited by Pelata - 31 Jan 2011 at 12:13pm
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:18pm
the vocals are the weakest link in Stratovarius indeed. Not bad, but not great either. Ermm
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

the vocals are the weakest link in Stratovarius indeed. Not bad, but not great either. Ermm

Yeah, he has times where I think I can tolerate him...it's not like his melodies are not good...its just his tone, especially when he gets higher, is just repellant to me...
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:11pm

I had a power metal period in the late nineties/ early 00s where I listened a lot to Stratovarius, but they were never favorites of mine ( I loved Rhapsody ( yep that was before the Fire) and Sonata Arctica). Most of their material is too formulaic for my taste. They have a bad habit of having to structure their songs like regular pop/ rock songs. Vers/ chorus, Vers/ chorus, solo, vers/ chorus. By the time the solo is over I�m already tired of the song. Now! there are plenty of artists who use exactly the same formula where it works wonders ( hey I�m a giant Mot�rhead fanLOL), but somehow Stratovarius simply bore me. Their releases are always high quality products, but personally I�m not much of a fan.

The songs in their disco I do like are mostly the really fast-paced tracks. It�s especially the mid-paced heavy tracks and the epics that seem to drag on foreverErmm.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:27am
I too am one of the people who tried the band out but couldn't handle the vocals. They have some nice songs like Hunting High and Low and The Kiss of Judas, but the tone of Kotipelto's voice is just not for me. But I respect them immensely for continuing succesfully without Tolkki. The new guitarist is a regular on one Finnish music forum I've been at since 2003.

I also used to be work buddies with Kotipelto's cousin, though I can't remember any amusing anecdotes he might have told about him Tongue
<- Click on this!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:31am
They'd be better if they were Blind Guardian Tongue
arcane-beautiful View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcane-beautiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 8:43am
i think its hilarious sometimes, but to be honest, he is a great singer when he wants to be, but those high notes are very funny to listen to...

and I was a bit disapointed with Polaris, but apparently everyone is liking Elysium
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:55pm

I think that Timo Tolkki had a more pleasant voice than Timo Kotipelto. However, I have become accustomed to his high vocals although they might appear cold and steril. There are other singers who also have a good voice, but I don't like their tones such as the singer from Watchtower, Ray Alder, or Ralf Scheepers. I prefer Timo Kotipelto when he sings bass and baritone.

Sometimes, I like his high pitched vocals especially in songs like Father Time; however, I perfer songs such as Black Diamond and Land of Ice and Snow.

It also depends on the songwriter.

He does not sing as high on his solo albums or in songs from Warmen.

Edited by goskoski - 01 Feb 2011 at 2:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic