MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is PoS so unpopular? (Read first post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Air Loom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

I don't believe that Pain of salvation are so unpopular.Here in Greece are favorable.But ok,it's prog metal.Don't expect to be very famous.

I don't know so many people in Greece who have even heard of PoS, as is the case with most non-mainstream prog bands, though the last time I went shopping in Athens I picked up a copy of "BE" which I consider to be their best album.  It's hardly surprising that they aren't popular in the USA.  The album "Scarsick" in particular has very anti-USA lyrics which many Americans find offensive.  One should be free to express one's opinion, but of course this is going to affect sales in this country.
The other thing is that they seem to have moved away from metal to a more softer approach in their more recent album, taking on influences ironically from the USA music scene in the form of, among other things,  Gospel.  This is kind of a weird mixture which probably doesn't appeal to old-school types.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:43am
First,I suggested you a band in Folk-metal suggestions.Secondly,as I had said Pos are favorable here.Indeed,they are softer now.Because Gildenlow has influenced by musicals and pop music(like Spice girls(he said it in their last concert here)).
Inexistence is the true normality.
The Air Loom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Air Loom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:15am
^ Err, I'm not sure about Spice girls - that might be a slight exaggeration, but there does seem to be some Gospel and R&B creeping in
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:21am
Yeah!Sure.But he's influenced by Gospel too I think(I'm not sure about R & B).But as I said Daniel Gildenlow's voice is very influenced by Musicals.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Air Loom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:50am
^ Hmm, actually I think that R&B is influenced by gospel...  anyway, he's definitely taking inspiration from the current USA music scene.  Yes, the live performance of "BE" is something between a theatrical performance and a music concert.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:53am
Βe is just incredible.And yes I think you're right about R & B and Gospel. 
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 11:25am
I highly doubt anti-American lyrics would prevent record sales here. Cause, you know...

Anyway, I bet the embargo on touring America had something to do it. But do they embargo their albums to?
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Air Loom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 12:33pm
^ Ok, point taken!!!!
Since you did find a copy of Scarsick in the store, I suppose that their albums must be circulating...  I guess that definitely the embargo wouldn't go down well with the American public either, that would give them very negative publicity.  I saw that Scarsick has some particularly negative views on ProgArchives, particularly by American reviewers, so I thought that this might  have an effect on the band's popularity.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 12:40pm
Of course.It's logical.In Spitfall,Gildenlow makes fun of popular american rappers like Eminem and 50 cent.That's why he raps in it. 
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by The Air Loom The Air Loom wrote:

^ Ok, point taken!!!!
Since you did find a copy of Scarsick in the store, I suppose that their albums must be circulating...  I guess that definitely the embargo wouldn't go down well with the American public either, that would give them very negative publicity.  I saw that Scarsick has some particularly negative views on ProgArchives, particularly by American reviewers, so I thought that this might  have an effect on the band's popularity.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=252320

I'm from America. Wink
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 3:38pm
I guess he hasn't embargoed CDs coming to America, but I certainly think he has a smaller market here. The thing is there are plenty of bands who IMO seem more unknown than PoS, and I see plenty of those kinds of albums in my local record stores.

Maybe Gildenlow hasn't realized his potential appeal. Maybe if he sold a few more records in America he'd have a huge market, like DT and Opeth have.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

I guess he hasn't embargoed CDs coming to America, but I certainly think he has a smaller market here. The thing is there are plenty of bands who IMO seem more unknown than PoS, and I see plenty of those kinds of albums in my local record stores.

Maybe Gildenlow hasn't realized his potential appeal. Maybe if he sold a few more records in America he'd have a huge market, like DT and Opeth have.

As much as I want my favorite band to do well, I can't say I wholeheartedly agree with the second part. I hope they remain "somewhat" underground... I don't like the idea of them having a fanbase the size of DT's. As much as I love newer DT records, they have lost a bit of their creative spark over the years, probably due to their major-label signing and things like that. I don't want the same to happen to Pain of Salvation.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 12:26am
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

They better tour in America soon, they said they would a little while ago for a RS1 tour but they never did!Angry

What I understood-why that happened was their Visa's were not up to snuff (I believe their was a hightened
security alert here at that time), go figure . . . See! Daniel Jinxed it! LOL (Wasnt it for Prog Nation II?).

Well pOs and the fans that be . . .
When I worked for Tower Records in Santa Monica, I had made a Display for DT's "Six Degree's..." and I put
under it as many Prog and Prog Metal CD's as I could find, and we had ALL the pOs albums up to that time.

Years later, was amazed to find like-minded Fans at the Internet Station "Progged Radio" (now long gone)
and then its successor PrOgulus.com . . . we all were HUGE fans (well their were some that were annoyed
by Daniel's singing, just a few Wink). And we all had a thing to say about why pOs did not come to America
to tour (Hmmm, Daniel singing about topical subjects and hope for mankind, yet he "Boycots" us individual
FEW Americans who know who they actually are . . . shoots his own foot).

"One Hour by the Concrete Lake" was my 1st, and loved every album. "Scarsick" had to grow on me as the
stronger songs are really good.  "Road Salt I" the EP was like Queensryche going Grunge when grunge was
WAAAAY over Tongue.  But on the way to the last Iron Maiden show, my friend played for 4 of us "Road Salt II"
and we were all blown away-because he basically re-invented the band, but I do understand its not for
everyone.

I guess I am lucky that Los Angeles still has a few great Record Stores left and are well stocked with pOs
albums.  And I notice Tour Shirts at Metal and Prog shows here Big smile.

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

But on the way to the last Iron Maiden show, my friend played for 4 of us "Road Salt II"
and we were all blown away-because he basically re-invented the band, but I do understand its not for
everyone.

Road Salt II came out? Confused

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:33am
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

But on the way to the last Iron Maiden show, my friend played for 4 of us "Road Salt II" <<<<GOOFED
everyone.

Road Salt II came out? Confused

OOPS!

Meant "Road Salt ( I )" . . .
"Linoleum" EP is the one before it . . .  I goofed Embarrassed.
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Vobiscum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vobiscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 8:10pm
I went to a concert of them last year here in Brazil. The band is phenomenal, friendly, charismatic and well technicians. This year again and I intend to go for sure. The show was packed. Here the band is highly regarded.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image