MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is up with King's X?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 7:52am
Yeah, I will concede that the vocal harmonies are not as "glorious" sounding as they once were. There are a couple reasons for this, IMO.

1 - dUg is 60 years old, the other guys over 50...as much as they tour, age can catch up with you
2 - they tune everything so low now, even the older songs, that even when they do harmonize (as opposed to just "sing together") it doesn't carry that soaring, layered vibe it used to

They're still one of the best live bands I've ever seen...thankfully, I got to see them on the Faith Hope Love and Dogman tours where the harmonies were REALLY on!! They were amazing on those tours...
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 1:45am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I only have one album and it never did much for me ( is it called Black Sunday or something like that?). I too have wondered why they have the "Classic" status stamped on them. A fan might be able to give us some recommendations to clear things up.

Man . . .
Its been awhile to be here, how did I miss this thread Confused?

Hey fellow Kings Xers Big smile

First, they got a little appreciation here Wink:
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=799&title=kings-x-appreciation-thread
So some here have made comments at that thread, hopefully we can spread the good word.
Ha! Seems I'm the LAST on to post there Cry I hope I'm not a "Thread Killer" here too Embarrassed!

The 3 guys seem like very likable people, so I would imagine anyone working with them-find them alot of
fun to play with (side projects etc.). So I would guess they have garnered a lot of respect from their peers.
I was amazed seeing Pearl Jam, for the 1st time when they were the musical guests on Saturday Night Live
(An American Comedy Skit Show) for the 1st time and the Bassist was wearing a "Faith Hope Love/Kings X"
shirt Big smile and Paul Schafers Band (The CBS Orchestra) on Late Night with David Letterman play the
difficult "We were Born to be Loved" on Commercial breaks on a regular basis!

"Black like Sunday", "Manic Moonlight" and "Welcome Home Mr. Bulbus" are the 3 I couldnt get into but
MM's "Believe" is super funky and got a great groove, WHMB gets a bit Avant Garde believe it or not-so its
a bit experimental for them Cool.  "Fishbowl man" is a bit wackey but quite good.
I need to give these 3 another chance.

If I had to recommend the "sequence" of Albums . . .
1. Out of the Silent Planet
2. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska
3. Faith Hope Love
4. Kings X (I have NEVER heard "Black Flag" on LA Radio . . . EVER! Tongue  I guess I'm glad because I love
that song).
5. Dogman
6. Ear Candy
7. Tape Head
9. Ogre Tones
10. XV
I think if you go by that sequence, you'll understand where they are going Wink.

. . . I say the rest of my 2� at the Appreciation Thread.  And a new "Jelly Jam" album is on its way Clap.
And I bought The Special Edition of "Live Love in London" DVD as a Christmas Gift for me Big smile.

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_X

". . . If you really do believe, then dont forget to pray for me!" Approve

"Its Love" on The Dennis Miller Show! (Circa 1990-91):

Can you name the "Beatles" song at the end? Big smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 27 Jan 2011 at 2:05am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 11:35am
I've got Dogman, which is some really cool prog grunge. I've heard Out of the Silent Planet is amazing though. I'll investigate it eventually LOL
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

I've got Dogman, which is some really cool prog grunge. I've heard Out of the Silent Planet is amazing though. I'll investigate it eventually LOL
You heard corectly...let me know what you think when you hear it...
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:54pm
I have almost thier entire catalogue and well as thier offshot projects. Ty Tabor has to be one of the most underrated guitarists. Gretchen is a classic. 10/10
Charcaroth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 10:04pm
King's X is pretty underrated, but then again, most of their middle era output is so bland, it probably works against them. From "Ear Candy" to "Manic Moonlight" is stuff you'll want to steer clear of until you've heard at least "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska", "Faith, Hope,Love", their self titled, and maybe, "XV".

Even at their most progressive, it wasn't in any classic sense, they were mostly just really eclectic, mixing a whole bunch of different sounds and doing it well. Great band. Ty Tabor is a sadly underrated guitarist.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 11:00pm
Hey! Ear Candy is a VERY Kings X album. imo theres not a bad cut on it Smile.

And this is how the album starts . . .

. . . "around the world"

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 15 Jun 2011 at 11:08pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Charcaroth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 3:49am
Oops, I meant that was the last one before the blandness set in. Even "Tapehead/Bulbous/Moonlight" have a few moments here and there, but those are the least essential to me."Ear Candy was good, but to me it was the first one to dip slightly. I find myself skipping a few tracks, anyway. Train is a great track. Mississippi Moon and Picture too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image