Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

It's a never ending quest discovering new music and there's far too much choice out there to know it all. I always used to buy full discographies of bands I liked, even albums that were weak just for completeness, but these days I'm more selective and don't automatically buy every new album apart from a handful of bands. Despite having a collection of around 4000 albums, a lot of it extreme metal, I'm still always discovering new stuff and find Spotify and Youtube useful to hear before I buy. If i like something I add it my Amazon wishlist which grows faster than I can afford to buy. I prioritise and there's stuff on there that's been on for years that I'll never probably buy as there's always something i want more. A lottery win would be helpful.

I'm not up to 4,000 yet (somewhere around 2,000) but what you wrote is basically what I could have written. I hear you about once having been a completionist but now being more selective. But I have found that since taking up reviewing seriously, I want to give a band a chance, even if I don't like the first album I bring home. I'm willing to give them a chance by checking out another album in their growth period. 

A lottery win would be devastating. I wouldn't be rolling in cash. I'd be rolling in CDs!

Btw, your icon is in my shopping cart!
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'm only approaching the 800 mark and people already tell me I have too much. This is something someone who isn't a serious music fan can never understand. 

Oh, for sure. When people say, "Why don't you just download?" or "I use Spotify" I just shake my head. They wouldn't understand.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Music stores in general are a dying breed in the US as well but here in the SF Bay Area where money is plentiful from the tech boom there are still lots of small indy stores and with the recent revival of vinyl in previous years has meant some are doing quite well. We also have two chains called Amoeba and Rasputin scattered about. They are great because they have tons of used. The metal sections are quite large and turnover is quick. If i dare even step foot in one i cannot refrain from dropping 100USD$ at least. Of course it's never been easiier to shop online which is even more dangerous!!!

I try to avoid used CDs. They have to be pristine because my collection must be pristine. OCD? Nah... just O. I hate to get a cracked or scratched jewel case, wrinkled or wavy printed material, and a CD with abrasions. It doesn't sit well with me.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

The times where you were out of touch with extreme metal were the times when I was discovering it. Magazines were the go for discovering new stuff back then.

We had a magazine in Canada in the 80's called Metallion. It was great because it covered homegrown bands, famous bands, thrash and extreme metal, and featured a "Roots of Metal" page that I loved. If magazines were the only way for me now, I'd probably have saved lots of money. YouTube is like a whole universe opening up. The other day I found 46 different bands covering "Dethroned Emperor" by Celtic Frost and I only knew the names of a few of them!

And compilations. Here's a few I found really useful.

I removed the list from my reply for saving space but I will be checking them all out. I keep finding lists on YouTube and I keep wanting to listen to them.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by voila_la_scorie voila_la_scorie wrote:

Music stores in general are a dying breed in the US as well but here in the SF Bay Area where money is plentiful from the tech boom there are still lots of small indy stores and with the recent revival of vinyl in previous years has meant some are doing quite well. We also have two chains called Amoeba and Rasputin scattered about. They are great because they have tons of used. The metal sections are quite large and turnover is quick. If i dare even step foot in one i cannot refrain from dropping 100USD$ at least. Of course it's never been easiier to shop online which is even more dangerous!!!

I try to avoid used CDs. They have to be pristine because my collection must be pristine. OCD? Nah... just O. I hate to get a cracked or scratched jewel case, wrinkled or wavy printed material, and a CD with abrasions. It doesn't sit well with me.

Most of the used CDs i get are in mint condition but i will lower my standards for thrift store cheapies which i have gotten some extremely excellent music. I understand the option of scantily used CDs in mint condition isn't available in too many places but i save a crap load of $$$ this way ;)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:10am

Most of the used CDs i get are in mint condition but i will lower my standards for thrift store cheapies which i have gotten some extremely excellent music. I understand the option of scantily used CDs in mint condition isn't available in too many places but i save a crap load of $$$ this way ;)

Oh, I totally understand that. If I would go for used that wasn't totally perfect and pay half the price or less, I'd be running out of space in my house. I guess paying more for new does keep a check on my expenditures. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by voila_la_scorie voila_la_scorie wrote:

I removed the list from my reply for saving space but I will be checking them all out. I keep finding lists on YouTube and I keep wanting to listen to them.

Those can be very variable, just like any compilation. Sometimes you have to wade through seas of crap to find a few gems.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:17am

Those can be very variable, just like any compilation. Sometimes you have to wade through seas of crap to find a few gems.

That's exactly what I love doing. There's a lot of similar sounding stuff but in between there are songs that really catch my attention. I looked over those compilations and recognized some names. My list is growing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic