Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Totally crap packaging from Amazon...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Totally crap packaging from Amazon...
    Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:31am
... or rather no packaging at all!!! Yes, my vinyl copy of the new Mastodon album arrived today with the delivery label stuck to shrinkwrap on the LP! Needless to say the cover was bent in a number of places, particularly bad in one corner. Haven't even bothered to remove the shrinkwrap as it's going straight back.

Must admit I'm very surprised as one thing you can normally say about Amazon is that if anything they're usually over the top with their packaging but to send out a vinyl album with no packaging is totally ridiculous. They're going to have a 99 % return rate if this is their new policy. What a bunch of dicks!

Curious to know if this has happened to anyone else?

Edited by Nightfly - 05 Apr 2017 at 8:32am
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:46am
I never use amazon anymore unless there's absolutely no other option.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:20am
I don't use Amazon either, I either go to local record stores or sites like Alibris and Discogs.

Are you sure it's Amazon though and not your postal service? I know here in the US the postal service can be terrible, and packages will come looking like they've been thrown across a room or beaten up. Or worse, the product itself being opened.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:24am
^ Oh yes, definitely Amazon. There was never any packaging on it in the first place as the delivery label was stuck to the shrinkwrap on the LP cover.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

^ Oh yes, definitely Amazon. There was never any packaging on it in the first place as the delivery label was stuck to the shrinkwrap on the LP cover.

I missed that, why would they just send the LP alone without any box or mail order case or anything? Confused

That's really awful service, if I were you I'd probably just stop ordering from them.

If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:51am
That's really unusual for Amazon. Anything I've ever purchased has come in their usual branded cardboard packaging at minimum. Did you take pictures of it to send to them? They should definitely send you another copy at their cost for this.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 12:13pm
I usually find that Amazon are if anything overkill on the packaging. Is it possible that the packaging was damaged in the post and the delivery service simply pulled the label off and stuck it on the item to finish the job? Confused
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 12:25pm
As an example of what I mean by overkill packaging, this is the gel rest I use in front of my keyboard to help prevent me from getting RSI's. It's sitting in the box Amazon sent it in. 

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I usually find that Amazon are if anything overkill on the packaging. Is it possible that the packaging was damaged in the post and the delivery service simply pulled the label off and stuck it on the item to finish the job? Confused

I doubt it, it looks like it's never been touched.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 3:32pm
^^ LOL

I've had similar with a few pairs of drumsticks.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

That's really unusual for Amazon. Anything I've ever purchased has come in their usual branded cardboard packaging at minimum. Did you take pictures of it to send to them? They should definitely send you another copy at their cost for this.

I did take a pic just in case but they're sending out a new copy even before I return the first one. I was tempted to return it with no packaging, the same way they sent it to me but I wrapped it up for them. Mind you, maybe I should have as they said to return in the original packaging.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 3:42pm
Here you go, my evidence...

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:41pm
That looks like it's been sitting at the back of a second hand hand record bin for several years.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 2:26am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I doubt it, it looks like it's never been touched.

It's pretty shocking either way, the item is totally exposed like this and a good target for opportunistic thieves. Not sure who was delivering it to you but I see Royal Mail posties leaving their bags unattended and out of sight in the streets around here all the time both in my own road and when out and about around the town. It really wouldn't take much to quickly dip a hand into a bag and grab a handful of post and be on your way without the postie being any the wiser. An exposed vinyl with no packaging would make a tempting target. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:53pm
It was delivered by an unmarked van, Amazon seem to use these self-employed couriers a lot these days and only seem to send the small stuff like CD's via Royal Mail. Not the delivery guys fault of course but I told him I was sending it straight back. Maybe I should have refused to accept it off him in the first place but at the time I never thought about it.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 11:36pm
It's probably best that you took it in and shipped it back. I don't know what Amazon's policy is but I've heard that with ebay sales if you refuse a package at the door you void all your buyer protection rights. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 8:57am
Yes, you're probably right. I'm informed the new copy is shipping today, hopefully wrapped up!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 3:38pm
Well, the replacement arrived and thankfully they packed it in one of their record mailers so it's fine. I'm still stunned they sent it out originally with no packaging and they could have saved themselves and me a lot of hassle if they had.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic