Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Burnout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metal Burnout
    Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:51pm
Hey all. Smile Over the past year or so, I've been experiencing something a bit strange. My interest in discovering new metal bands/albums has all but disappeared. I just don't find myself itching for heavy music the way I used to, and I kinda feel like I've heard it all before to some extent. There are still new albums that I'll check out, and I still like revisiting old favorites from time to time, but the genre generally doesn't speak to me the way it used to. 

Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, what albums/bands/styles of music/etc. took metal's place during this period in your life? Why do you think this change in your taste occurred? When did you finally come back around to listening to a lot of metal?

I've been delving deep into the music of John Coltrane (particularly his free jazz works like Ascension) and Magma lately. Lots of Neil Young, The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, Cream, Kamasi Washington's The Epic, Fela Kuti, Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, as well as a steady diet of the classic seventies' Genesis records (among many others).

I think part of this is due to my desire to grow as a drummer and songwriter. I've been busy writing and jamming with a new band at university, and I've been learning quite a bit from closely listening to great drummers like Ginger Baker, Phil Collins, Christian Vander, and Elvin Jones and creative masterminds like Brian Wilson, John Coltrane, and Neil Young. I guess the bottom line is that I was itching to hear new sounds, and it was also necessary to inspire creativity in my view. 

I'm very curious to hear if anyone here has had similar experiences. 

PS - I wasn't quite sure where to put this post, so my apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum. And I hope I didn't ramble too much. Embarrassed

Cheers.

Edited by J-Man - 03 Jun 2016 at 12:52pm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 1:54pm
Not happened to me as yet. Guess it could, though I feel its unlikely. Though maybe you felt that way once?

I have though got burned out on certain sub-genres of metal at different times only to get back into them later. Prog most recently. Slowly finding an interest again. 

And I do know what you mean when you say you've heard it all before, I get that feeling with the sub-genres I listen to the most which has made my review grading of those artists harder than it once was. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 3:12pm
I got burned out on metal for a period in the late 90s/early 00s, which was around the time I was studying at university. I guess I met new people with different tastes in music, and I also felt a need to broaden my musical Horizon a bit (so my story is quite similar to yours). Before that period I had almost solely listened to metal, hard rock, punk, jazz rock/fusion and progressive rock (and a Little classical), but I got interested in Electronic oriented music (Especially Depeche Mode, Air, and Massive Attack), alternative/indie rock (this is when I discovered The Smiths/Morrisery and The Cure which are still some of my favorite artists), and goth rock in my university years and I almost never listened to metal in that period. When I dropped out of Uni and got a job as a mailman (which I held for four years), I started listening to metal Again. I guess I needed something aggressive to fascilitate my anger and frustration over my failed college education plan, while delivering the mail to mr. and mrs. Smith LOL.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 3:26pm
I had a bit of a burnout in the mid-90s, although I can't say I went on to anything eclectic like electronica or indie rock. I went through a punk period. At the time, grunge dominated, nu-metal was emerging, death and thrash were dying and retreating underground, and half of the black metal bands in Scandinavia were in prison for church burning or murder, or else dead because of said murders.

All of a sudden, Green Day and The Offspring popped up almost out of nowhere. I had a grounding in punk, having got into a bit of the old oi and hardcore through metal bands and what they liked to cover, but this was different because it was happening right at that moment and not back in the late 70s and into the 80s.

I soon got sick of Green Day, but The Offspring had more legs. From that starting point I discovered NOFX (to this day my favourite punk band), Rancid, Pennywise, Bad Religion, Guttermouth, The Vandals, and all that SoCal type stuff. I hadn't abandoned metal, it's just I was exploring elsewhere while metal woke it's ideas up. About 1998, I first got online and rediscovered metal, and have been mixing the genres ever since.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 3:31pm
I have been listening to Metal since I was 15-16, I'm 37 now and there is no slowing down.  I had my fill of non Metal bands before my obsession with Metal started and maybe that's why I am still a hardcore Metal head some 20 years later.
Be excellent to each other.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 3:46pm
I'll have moods where I'll be in the mood for other things, such as now I've really been in an electronic mood, but I'm pretty much always wanting at least some metal. While being in an electronic mood, at the same time I've been in a Manowar mood as well. 

Electronic music on the other hand, I actually did get burnt out on several years ago. I used to listen to dubstep, which I hate now, along with bands I still love and have been re-visiting (Deadmau5, Kraftwerk, Daft Punk, etc.). I also used to listen to a lot of the drum 'n' bass/electronic rock band Pendulum, and I'm not really much of a fan of them anymore. I still like a few songs, but I rarely listen to them anymore.

I also don't like much progressive metal anymore. I used to think it was so cool when I was younger, but I've realized that so much of it is dull and boring. Tool's still one of my favorite bands, and I still really like Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, and a few others but other than that it just doesn't interest me anymore.

Edited by Unitron - 03 Jun 2016 at 11:54pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Not happened to me as yet. Guess it could, though I feel its unlikely. Though maybe you felt that way once?

I have though got burned out on certain sub-genres of metal at different times only to get back into them later. Prog most recently. Slowly finding an interest again. 

And I do know what you mean when you say you've heard it all before, I get that feeling with the sub-genres I listen to the most which has made my review grading of those artists harder than it once was. 

I didn't anticipate listening to as little metal as I have been lately, but I definitely predicted getting tired of listening to so many similar bands (you know... the countless old school death metal throwbacks, generic power metal bands, etc.). That's a large part why I think I took a vacation from reviewing... hearing the 754th Morbid Angel clone just didn't seem that appealing anymore. LOL

The hiatus from metal also has a lot to do with my recent, deeper appreciation for jazz. Albums like Coltrane's A Love Supreme always impressed me, but I now feel like I really "get it" on some sort of transcendent level. It feels like a truly limitless genre to me, so of course this new realization means that I want to hear as much as possible. Big smile

So, who knows. You never know when something might come along and have a profound effect on your listening habits.

...and great avatar, by the way. Thumbs Up
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

So, who knows. You never know when something might come along and have a profound effect on your listening habits.

I've scratched the surface of a few other genres at times, notably neoclassical darkwave and ambient which came about because many black metal musicians have side projects in the styles. As irony would have it I've bought several albums now that are from side-projects such as Wongraven, Dargaard and Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, yet don't actually own anything from the respective metal bands the musicians are better known for. I've actually been feeling the itch to explore these styles some more recent so who knows, may end up listening to it a lot over the next month or so. 

As far as metal goes, I don't necessarily require something to be completely original in order to really like it so long as its very well done, so I still enjoy finding new bands in the styles I know well. I'm picker with some sub-genres than others. There are also still sub-genres out there that I don't know much about at all just ready and waiting to be explored when I feel the time is right. 

Honestly right now I'm finding black metal to be the most interesting and inventive sub-genre going. Can't get enough lately. This is one sub-genre that's really come a long way since the early Norwegian scene. My avatar since you mention it is one of my recent finds. It's Entropia's newest Ufonaut which combines black metal with sludge and prog ideas. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 5:01pm
^ Yep, I know (and love) and the album. One of the first great albums I heard this year. Smile
Vixen Erotica View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vixen Erotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 3:27pm
Yup--sometimes I get tired of metal and I am ALWAYS searching for something new....When I get this way I channel into a different genre for a short amount of time....I like all music except jazz and reggae..I go for country music or 60's music usually if I need a break from metal...Metal is my favorite though and I always come back to it....
moody metal maiden
keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 6:56am
90% of my CD collection is metal, hard rock, or punk but I do own a fair amount of classic '70s/'80s rock as well so every once in a while I'll get on a tear where I'll listen to, say, Boston or The Police or The Pretenders for a week straight.  
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 7:12am
I don't burn out on metal. I'ved loved it since i was a maggot but i have always been too eclectic to get sick of anything. My playlist will usually be something like Darkthrone and Iron Maiden followed by Tuvan Throat Singing, Paris Cafe Music, Indie Rock, Hip Hop, Sun Ra, eclectic prog and catchy pop and whatever else strikes me. I do burn out short term if all i play is metal but same is true for any other genre as well. Metal, prog and jazz are the genres that i listen to the most though with metal possibly coming in first :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic