Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Johnson sacked?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brian Johnson sacked?
    Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 12:10pm
http://www.xsmanchester.co.uk/music/news/was-brian-johnson-sacked/#Ar8kLmO6coHvwG4S.97
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 6:27pm
Can't see them sacking him myself. Whilst not an original member he's been around far longer than Bon was and an integral part of the band sound. With so few members from their golden years they're losing credibility that they can't afford to lose if they want to continue. I for one wouldn't pay the sort of money they'll be asking to see a band with 2 original memebers and a bunch of hired hands despite Angus being the main attraction.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 12:01am
AC/DC need to retire right now, before they wreck their good name Black Sabbath/Kiss/Deep Purple style.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 12:41am
I thought they were planning on retiring after touring for their last album, but I guess not.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

AC/DC need to retire right now, before they wreck their good name Black Sabbath/Kiss/Deep Purple style.

I agree on AC/DC, but how did Deep Purple wreck their good name? Or Black Sabbath for that matter? (BS are retiring anyway)
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 12:31am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

I agree on AC/DC, but how did Deep Purple wreck their good name? Or Black Sabbath for that matter? (BS are retiring anyway)

Black Sabbath and Deep Purple weren't well respected through the 80s and into the early 90s, although Deep Purple did break up for a good while. And you have to be a very dedicated fan to actually like some of the dreadful albums those bands produced at various times.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 2:30am

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Black Sabbath and Deep Purple weren't well respected through the 80s and into the early 90s, although Deep Purple did break up for a good while. And you have to be a very dedicated fan to actually like some of the dreadful albums those bands produced at various times.

I do not call anything these two bands did as "dreadful", even at their least inspired.

Actually Deep Purple did quite good in the 80s, Perfect Strangers (1984) was well received and is one of their best. Their following album The House of  Blue Light was marred by new frictions between Blackmore and Gillan, still a good effort though.
After Slaves & Masters (sounded like a mix of JLT era Rainbow and Foreigner), The Battle Rages On was quite successful as far as I remember. Also the first 2 albums with Steve Morse were a pleasant surprise for most people, especially Purpendicular (1996). So I don't agree they've ruined their good name or anything.

As for Black Sabbath, poor Tony did what he could considering his label screwed him twice in the 80s. Born Again was not supposed to be a BS album, the label convinced Tony to release the album under the Black Sabbath name. As for the next album, the cover art says "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi" which is one of the dumbest things ever. The collaboration with Glenn Hughes was great and Tony did 2 more albums with him.
The Tony Martin albums were quite good (Forbidden being the weakest) and Dehumanizer (the third one with Dio) was welcomed with open arms back in the day.
The Reunion tour and live album satisfied all fans of their 70s albums.

So musically (if you ask me), I don't see them ruining anything.

voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 4:47am
I think Deep Purple's Now What?! is the best thing they did since Perfect Strangers. They really got their schtuff together for that one.
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 7:12am
^ I'd agree, Now What?! is a great album.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:46am
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 10:26am
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 12:04pm
Well it's certainly not Brian.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:23pm
I´m sorry but I see it as a bit of a joke. Axl just don´t fit in AC/DC IMO, but I could be proven wrong, byt a couple of really great shows.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:32pm
Whether he fits or not is one thing, whether anyone should be there in Johnson's place is another. I'd rather they wrapped the band up or rebranded it under a different name.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 4:13pm
^Never gonna happen with such a valuable brand.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 12:26pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 12:34pm
^LOL...well he has actually worked out. He seems a bit more fit these days than he has looked for long. Doesn´t mean his a great choice for AC/DC.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 5:00pm
They're not done yet. There's still plenty of opportunity for the prima donna to come out...
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 5:33pm
I've heard a couple of live AC/DC songs with Axl on vocals. While it doesn't sound terrible, I still don't understand why they went with him. There are so many other singers out there who would be a much better fit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic