0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 4:35pm
III
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^I just think they are referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_Zeppelin

ok, I get it, funny band, haha. But it seems a talk on Led Zeppelin is not worth it or something. 

I'm not taking the piss personally when I recommended Dread Zeppelin. They were brilliantly funny back in the day, a reggae band playing Led Zep covers with an Elvis impersonator for a singer.

I also understand how influential Led Zep were, and how huge they were as a band. I can't say I ever warmed to them though. And I also can't understand why they are still worshipped and are still so popular now. I used to work in a shop which sold CDs, among everything else, and Led Zep used to go off the shelves at a reasonable rate (not like new releases, but still steady). Some of their music has aged terribly, and there have also been the revelations about how much of it was ripped off from old blues men. 

I'm quite open to listening to why they're still so big, 35 years after John Bonham died, but don't make me listen to the music!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 1:44am
Tie between I and Physical Graffiti, voted former as it had fewer votes
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

^I just think they are referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_Zeppelin

ok, I get it, funny band, haha. But it seems a talk on Led Zeppelin is not worth it or something. 

I'm not taking the piss personally when I recommended Dread Zeppelin. They were brilliantly funny back in the day, a reggae band playing Led Zep covers with an Elvis impersonator for a singer.

I also understand how influential Led Zep were, and how huge they were as a band. I can't say I ever warmed to them though. And I also can't understand why they are still worshipped and are still so popular now. I used to work in a shop which sold CDs, among everything else, and Led Zep used to go off the shelves at a reasonable rate (not like new releases, but still steady). Some of their music has aged terribly, and there have also been the revelations about how much of it was ripped off from old blues men. 

I'm quite open to listening to why they're still so big, 35 years after John Bonham died, but don't make me listen to the music!

Yeah, that's a little upsetting to say the least. Led Zeppelin shaped my music taste but I think most of their material, (especially on Presence, gosh this album sucked except for that amazing opening track, Achilles Last Stand) was filler ;p. Their best and least fillery are III and IV imo. With the III being my all time favourite.

As for the lasting appeal... I think it's mostly due to Plant's voice. He's a genius. And he's literally the only Zep that continues to deliver some truly great material on his solo records, like Mighty Rearranger, for example. Page on the other hand is overrated.

Edited by bartosso - 28 Aug 2015 at 4:40am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 2:56am
^ John Paul Jones has been involved with the most good music in the past few years

and Page has always been notable for his sheer gusto.  That man had balls, very bold playing for the time (especially guitar solos, listen to something like Heartbreaker)

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 27 Aug 2015 at 7:41pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 3:19am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

^ John Paul Jones has been involved with the most good music in the past few years

and Page has always been notable for his sheer gusto.  That man had balls, very bold playing for the time (especially guitar solos, listen to something like Heartbreaker
mmm...that Heartbreaker riff is yummiii
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:17am

I personally saw it as quite a harmless joke, and I´m sure none of them wanted to offend you.
that is what i was going for. a harmless joke. lol
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:23am
II is my favorite, though it's hard to go wrong with Physical Graffiti since you get twice the amount of music
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 2:56pm

and Page has always been notable for his sheer gusto.  That man had balls, very bold playing for the time (especially guitar solos, listen to something like Heartbreaker)

Okay, I got carried away a little, I admit. I just hate how they didn't give credit to those musicians they ripped off. But it's undeniable they came up with some timeless tunes and ideas by themselves, too. Like Kashmir I mean, this track is just... amazing. No Quarter ? Trippy. Stairway to Heaven? Timeless. 

I personally don't like their two first albums as much (notable exceptions: Whole Lotta Love). Okay, I gotta go before I start to drop f-bombs on some other brilliant musicians LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 3:03pm
I don't think they really "ripped off" anything.  The blues has always been a genre of music with standard chord progressions and riffs, if anything Zep were just honouring their influences.  Their later albums (III or IV and on) are rather original for the time.  Even Led Zeppelin I (other than You Shook Me & I Can't Quit You Baby, both of which are covers) sounds completely unlike anything else that was around in 68-69.  I mean communication breakdown?  Absolute crazy for back then.

sorry, I used to listen to a lot of LZ LOL
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 3:07pm
Bro, I apologized already, leave me be! LOL

Seriously now, there's some truth in your words regarding the rip-offs :) Still, some of those songs sound more like hard rock covers (I mean, almost exactly the same song structure, lyrics etc) than anything else, so I think the original authors should have been credited nonetheless. 

Edited by bartosso - 28 Aug 2015 at 3:07pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 3:36pm
Maybe it depends on the issue, but my CDs have the original composers credited
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 12:52pm
LED ZEP 3 for me
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 2:19am

When were they released? I'm wondering if they were told they had to credit the original composers.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

When were they released? I'm wondering if they were told they had to credit the original composers.

I believe I have the Atlantic issue from 1994, but I believe the first CD issue in Canada (1990) also had proper credits.  The 2014 re-issue also definitely does.

It's possible the original vinyl issues from 1969 did not have full credit to songwriters, but at least here in Canada every CD has.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic