Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTF is with censored metal albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTF is with censored metal albums?
    Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 6:53pm
I bought a Issues by Korn the other day and while I was listening to the song Trash, I noticed that the curses were removed. On my CD there was no indication of censorship, it just snuck it in. The same thing happened to me for my Good Apollo I Am Burning Star IV album. 

I mean seriously, who in their right mind would buy a Korn CD and want it to be censored? In Trash they don't even remove the word rape but f**k is censored.  I'm getting sick of getting slipped clean versions of metal albums and not knowing that they are in fact clean. It really grinds my gears.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 7:46pm
Clean edits are so stupid. If the parents don't want their kids listening to music with swearing or the like, then that should be up to the parents not the record companies. Like you said, more often then not, they won't tell you it's a clean edit. Nobody wants a clean edit.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 8:55pm
If it's been edited, censorship or otherwise, it should probably say so on the cover. 'Bit misleading, that!
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

If it's been edited, censorship or otherwise, it should probably say so on the cover. 'Bit misleading, that!

I think there should be a label on the album saying it's clean, just like it does when the album is explicit.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I think there should be a label on the album saying it's clean, just like it does when the album is explicit.

LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 1:38am
I remember there´s a censored version of Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold out there too. Pretty disgusting. Wolverine Blues by Entombed also exists in two different versions, but I´m sure that´s a copyright issue, as one of the versions feature movie samples (one from "Flatliners" among others) and the other don´t. After listening to the version with samples for years (which I believe is how it was intented to sound) it´s impossible to listen to the other version and not feel that it sounds a bit empty.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 6:56am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

it´s impossible to listen to the other version and not feel that it sounds a bit empty.

What the censors generally do is just erase the curses and leave blank spaces. It totally ruins the experience.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 7:26am
DeadUgh...that´s even worse
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 7:41am
The other kind is when they make the band replace them with other words. The worst I've seen and Khaliq will probably agree is the censoring they did for C&C's 'Welcome Home' when it was included on Rock Band in 2007. Wikipedia mentions it:

"In 2007, this song was included in the Harmonix music video game Rock Band, exposing Coheed and Cambria to a considerably wider audience. However, the words "whore and "fucking" were edited to "wolf" and "mucking" respectively."

Edited by aglasshouse - 26 Jun 2015 at 7:43am
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 8:14am
This used to happen all the time back in the day when people bought 7" singles by the bucket-load. Pretty much all of the punk bands had an album version different from a single version, where a phrase like "fuck-all" became "sod-all" or similar.

Even further back, bands got around censorship by pretending they hadn't used an inappropriate term. So the Beatles on Ticket To Ride sang "she's a prick teaser" but wrote the lyric as "big teaser". And the Kinks on Ape Man (a song unfortunately of its time with the accompanying salsa beat) sang about "the air pollution is-a-fucking up my eyes" but claimed in the lyrics to be singing "fogging up my eyes". :-)
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 9:31am
my Slave to the Grind cd does not have the song Get the Fuck Out, it's another song instead. LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 9:34am
^^Or maybe you´re just an old perverted bastard, who hears what he wants to hear LOL

Edited by UMUR - 26 Jun 2015 at 9:35am
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 10:38am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^^Or maybe you´re just an old perverted bastard, who hears what he wants to hear LOL

nope LOL
song is called Beggar's Day
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 12:33pm
In most if not all cases, censorship for metal removes any prior meaning the line had or loses the desired effect.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 12:33am
The remastered version of Megadeth's version of These Boots is so full of edits it's almost like a karaoke track. I removed it from my playlist and reinserted the old version. It was extra cut up because Dave Mustaine had changed the lyrics, so it's not all swearing which has been edited out.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

The remastered version of Megadeth's version of These Boots is so full of edits it's almost like a karaoke track. I removed it from my playlist and reinserted the old version. It was extra cut up because Dave Mustaine had changed the lyrics, so it's not all swearing which has been edited out.

I don't understand why a band would edit the lyrics for a remaster, I always thought a remaster was only to make the sound quality better and sometimes adding bonus tracks. They should have put the real song as a bonus track for those who don't want the edit.

Oh, welcome to the site btw! Clap
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:22am
It was edited for copyright reasons. You couldn't even get it on Killing Is My Business... for many years. Having read Dave Mustaine's biography, the guy who wrote the song sounds like a bit of a dick. He kept cashing the royalty checks for the cover, and then just out of the blue started complaining about the lyrical changes. Megadeth wasn't in a position to argue for a lot of years, so they just dropped the song. I was basically once they had a bit of commercial clout they managed to put the song back on, but had to cut the changed lyrics.

And thanks for the welcome. I noticed this site after posting over at the Terrorizer mag site, which is a bit quiet. Doesn't seem particularly busy here, but the people here seem reasonably smart, which is more important to me.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 7:09am

sometimes it says on the price tag edited and sometikes it doesn't
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

sometimes it says on the price tag edited and sometikes it doesn't
Depends on the store. Rarely price tags in places like retail stores will say so. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic