MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's your philosophy on listening to new music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your philosophy on listening to new music?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your philosophy on listening to new music?
    Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 10:27pm
Being disappointing by music is extremely unpleasant to me. What mindset do you go into listening to new music with? For me it varies:

If it is something I haven't listened to before, as in a whole new band, I usually take it with an open heart. Especially if it's something I've seen that many other people like, I tend to feel like I'm playing it pretty safe by taking a gander. Even if it's not that well received, I do usually feel like listening to it is a good choice. 

When it is a new release by a band, especially one that hasn't released something for a while/gone through several changes or intra-band conflicts I go in with a negative mindset. My justification is this: if it is something that does really suck, then I won't be surprised because I'd have expected that. If it's something that is good, then it is both surprising and also pleasant. I know it may be pretty crude, but it usually improves my mental experience when it comes to listening to new music.

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 11:27pm
I usually listen to new stuff with an open mindset, unless it's a new release from a band that has disappointed me with their last release/s. I think Muse is a great example of that, I don't really like 'The Resistance' or 'The 2nd Law' save a few songs. 'Drones' ended up being a great surprise becoming my personal favorite Muse album.  
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 3:43am
I take evry album for what it has to offer, that's why I often like albums others don't (like Paradise Lost's Host or Helloween's Chameleon), I rarely compare new albums with the old ones, if I like what I hear, then great!
 I disliked for example Paradise Lost's new album, for me, they did not need a back to the death-doom days, it's not like it was needed in my humble opinion. Especially since I think Holmes has such a great clean vocals singing, his growling never did it for me, not on the band's first 2 albums, not now.

I'm still curious to explore new things and I sometimes discover something new - an example? Tribulation's new album was a very pleasant surprise.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic