0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Love old school Helloween until they shit the bed with Pink Bubbles Go Ape, but I've always had a soft spot for Rage. 

It used to be one of my favourite message board baiting topics: name your favourite Rage album. Then you'd get young ones coming back with "the first one" or "Evil Empire", and "Tom Morello is such a good guitar player". Then I would come back with "Secrets In A Weird World" or "End Of Days" and "Tom Morello didn't play on those ones, which is why they are so good". 

I know, very childish, and someone my age should know better, but if I managed to direct even one clown trousered nu-metal fool in the right direction, then I've made the world a better place.

RATM isn't nu-metal, but I do agree that Morello's guitar solos can be really annoying. Tongue

Edited by Unitron - 16 Jul 2015 at 1:27pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:13am
I know RATM isn't nu-metal, but it seemed to aapeal to a lot of nu-metal fans.

One of the the best quotes I ever read on the Kerrang! message board was "Have any of you guys heard of RATM? They sound just like Rage Against The Machine!"LOL
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:16am

One of the the best quotes I ever read on the Kerrang! message board was "Have any of you guys heard of RATM? They sound just like Rage Against The Machine!"LOL

Wow, I really hope they were joking, if not then that's pretty dense. LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:19am
Um, no. No joke... I used to moderate there. K! magazine changed a lot and attracted of pop fans. I haven't read it in quite a few years, so I don't know if it's still like that or not.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:24am
^Wow...that's a new low. I think my IQ dropped just by knowing that someone actually legitimately said that. Shocked 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 8:17am
As a teenager I used to occasionally buy Kerrang! It was always a little high on the glossy pictures of good looking bands, but also had some good writers too. My son bought it recently, and it's certainly geared towards a younger pop-punk audience these days. 

My reading of Kerrang was prior to the internet and on-line streaming, and K! was a good way of picking up on new bands and some more obscure stuff. In fact along with Sounds and the BBC Friday Rock Show, it was the only way!
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:31pm
Kerrang?

I think you mean Kerrapp!
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:38pm
For context, when I was a teenager, cassette tapes were exciting technology. And home PCs had 16k of RAM. A lot has changed save then, including Kerrang or whatever you call it

Edited by Bosh66 - 16 Jul 2015 at 2:38pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:51pm
I had a few issues of Kerrang in my time, but I used to subscribe to Metal Hammer. It wasn't perfect for my taste all the time, but I did find more bands than I would have done before we had the Internet in my house. Stopped having t after a while because the Internet had replaced my need for it. I also used to watch the Scuzz TV station, but got bored of that. It seemed really good at first but gradually it just seemed to be the same videos all the time. I sometimes put it on for a look and always seem to get something that I was seeing almost a decade ago. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 4:31pm
Kerrang was good in the 80's and i used to get every copy - still have the first 100 or so stashed away. It seemed to turn crap around the time all this so called nu-metal came along and is definitely more aimed at kids these days, in fact has been for a long time.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 1:34am
When I first started reading metal mags Glam was still big, and thrash was just starting to decline. Death metal was pretty much underground and black metal was unheard of. 

K! used to cover perhaps one heavy band per issue, and the rest of the mag was full of glam and adult oriented rock (AOR). The reviews was the place to go to find new bands. The mag really went to shit when grunge came along, and all of a sudden hairspray and spandex was replaced with greasy hair and flannel.

Metal Hammer was a bit better, and was fortnightly then. They also used to do periodical thrash metal specials, and band bio issues, which were brilliant.

Metal Maniacs was the best mag round at the time for the heavy end of the market. It was a bit cheap and shoddy, but the bands and writing were good.

The first metal mag I read was an Aussie one called Hot Metal. It covered the entire metal spectrum better than any other magazine then or since. It also alerted me to the brilliant Aussie scene, as well as sourcing a few interviews and articles from K!

There was another mag called Thrash and Burn, which was more to my liking (i.e. no glam or grunge!), but it folded and turned into Xtreme Noize, which lasted only a few issues, and then reappeared as Terrorizer. I deliberately didn't buy the first issue because of the unreliability of the previous two publications. More fool me...

And that is how it used to be in the days before the internet.
Alex View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:19am
Voted for the mighty Blind Guardian.
Alex View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:19am

clown trousered nu-metal fool

Love this description.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic