MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-punk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-punk
    Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 1:30pm
Any love for post-punk here? What are your favorite artists and albums?

I think my favorite album in the genre would depend on the day. To boot, I've recently discovered more and more 80s artists I never knew about like Modern Eon, Breathless, and And Also the Trees. There was something of a revival of the genre in the 00s with Interpol, the Strokes, the Editors and again now in the 10s with Savages, Iceage, Viet Cong, and Protomartyr. I think the one that's most recently been on repeat for me is Viet Cong's self-titled.

Edited by Polymorphia - 02 Apr 2015 at 5:13pm
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 2:06pm
It's a sub-genre I've dabbled in before but am still a bit of a newb. Too many other artists to check out atm! But I'll get around to it eventually.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 2:12pm
The post-punk bands that I like that come to mind are Interpol, The Creatures, and some of early Killing Joke (I prefer industrial metal-era Killing Joke though).

Some of my favorite post-punk albums:

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
The Creatures - Feast
The Creatures - Anima Animus
The Creatures - Hai!
Killing Joke - What's THIS For

Edited by Unitron - 02 Apr 2015 at 2:13pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 5:12pm
Turn on the Bright Lights is brilliant, pun intended. Killing Joke is great as well. I haven't really heard much outside their early era however.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 6:03pm
^If you have an interest in checking out Industrial metal, I highly recommend Killing Joke's later albums. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:27pm
^Cool. I imagine I'll probably find myself in an industrial metal phase sometime soon.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 11:08pm
Yeah, i've been getting into a lot of post punk and post hardcore. Although it's a large umbrella term for different far ranging experimental sounds that can overlap with other rock sub genres. I guess i really like The Cure, Minutemen, Nice Cave and Bad Seeds, Violent Femmes, The Chameleons, This Heat, Swans, Devo, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bauhaus, This Mortal Coil, Midnight Oil, Husker Du, Fugazi, NoMeansNo, Big Black, Sonic Youth. I have lots more but these are the ones who have albums that fall into this category that i seem to like the best. Also like industrial stuff but don't really consider it punk related
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 12:51am
^All great bands (I've not listened to Midnight Oil or NoMeansNo, though). Seeing Swans tomorrow actually.

You'd probably enjoy some of the bands on this list. Some surprisingly great and sometimes groundbreaking stuff. I found it by chance and have been checking out the bands listed this week.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 9:37pm

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 9:47pm
I know and dig Big Black, it was NoMeansNo I hadn't listened to. Unless you were posting those for everybody. Smile

Edited by Polymorphia - 04 Apr 2015 at 9:48pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 11:01pm
Ahhh, i'm a tired puppy. Everyone should hear that one! 
Try again

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 12:08pm
Nearly 15 years ago, I really dug post-punk and new wave acts, but it's been a while since I really feel like exploring this stuff.
Moreover, I'm surrounded by people sticking to a 1978-1983 period, and I'm a bit fed up with musicians trying to sound like "Suicide meet Siouxsie meet Pere Ubu meet Soft Cell".
But last time I went to a record library, I rented some records by  Siouxsie & the Banshees, the Monochrome Set and Cocteau Twins - that I still enjoy.
RRROOOAAARRR!!! - Vo�vod, II-1, 1986 B.C.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 2:47pm
^Well, I know what you mean. A lot of Chameleons-esque post-punk bands over here. Almost everyone where I live is trying to be a revivalist of something, though, so post-punk isn't really remarkable to me in that regard. I see far more groups in a psych or garage rock format. There are still some neat recent groups in all of these genres, though– a little more revisionist than some of the revivalists would be comfortable with.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 12:01pm
would you like early norwegian post punkt - Raga Rockers debute, such a underrated album
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 9:06pm
Here is a post-punk band people here might like
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic