MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who had more of an influence?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these bands had a bigger influence on progressive metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [93.33%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who had more of an influence?
    Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 8:35pm
These three bands have seemed to have a big influence on the development of progressive metal, who had the biggest influence in your opinion?

Rush is definitely my favorite of these bands, but I'm not sure if they had the biggest influence.

Opinions? 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 8:51pm
Rush. No doubt about it. They are the fathers of Prog Metal, at least in my opinion! Also, if you were to talk to the Prog Metal bands of the 80s, 90s and today they will undeniably tell you that Rush is of major importance and influence

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 26 Oct 2014 at 9:04pm
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 9:48pm
On prog metal?  Rush for sure
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 11:10pm
Yeah, I think I would have to agree that Rush did have the most influence. Bands like Queensryche, Dream Theater and other prog metal bands have all stated Rush as a big influence.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 4:51am
Writing an Essay on this very subject . . .

Mine is Rush, but King Crimson is a huge part of that too :). As well as Deep Purple/Uriah Heep imo.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 27 Oct 2014 at 4:52am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 5:05am
I don't know the answer Cry

That said, Rush's first not-particularly prog album came out in 1974 at the same time as Crimson released the heavy prog album Red. So Crimson possibly had an earlier impact on the development of progressively inclined hard rock and metal. They did of course go quiet until well after albums like 2012 in 1976, so I'd agree Rush did (much) more to push forward the evolution of progressive metal.

Uriah Heep are an interesting one. Albums like Salisbury, Look At Yourself and Demons & Wizards preceded all of them and they consistently released progressive and heavy albums. The music though was certainly in the hard / heavy prog mold rather than 2112 which has a much more metallic sound. But what a band they were in their heyday!
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 6:42am
Led Zeppelin Clown
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:32am
I think all of these bands had a huge effect on all genres of metal, but to compare it to prog metal is different.

Of course, if we're talking about prog metal, then we are talking about prog rock. There are numerous bands that influenced that genre, including Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd, Yes, etc. 

So to only give two choices on which bands influenced PROG metal, then it is hard for me to give an answer to.

It is true that some bands that are considered to be only prog rock (of course with other influences as well) are heavier than others. Rush is a great example of this, especially when looking at their later material. Uriah Heep did the same. King Crimson, while being highly influential on the prog rock scene, were not as huge of an impact on the metal part of the genre's area. 

So I can't give a real answer. Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Led Zeppelin Clown

Clap

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Writing an Essay on this very subject . . .

Mine is Rush, but King Crimson is a huge part of that too :). As well as Deep Purple/Uriah Heep imo.

Really?? Big smile LOL

Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 7:09am
I believe that Rush is the most influential band to progressive metal due to albums like Moving Pictures, Test For Echo, Counterparts and Vapor Trails, which are more "heavy" than others that have more traditional prog rock passages. Nerve battery Peart, the more furious under the Lee form the perfect kitchen for Lifeson raze and bands like Dream Theater has there its influence it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Gabimm Gabimm wrote:

I believe that Rush is the most influential band to progressive metal due to albums like Moving Pictures, Test For Echo, Counterparts and Vapor Trails, which are more "heavy" than others that have more traditional prog rock passages. Nerve battery Peart, the more furious under the Lee form the perfect kitchen for Lifeson raze and bands like Dream Theater has there its influence it.

Yup Approve

Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Rush. No doubt about it. They are the fathers of Prog Metal, at least in my opinion! Also, if you were to talk to the Prog Metal bands of the 80s, 90s and today they will undeniably tell you that Rush is of major importance and influence

Agree.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Gabimm Gabimm wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Agree.

Approve

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 11:17am
Rush out of these three

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 1:54pm
Rush more so than the others though KC's Red album in particular was a big influence on many bands I'm sure.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 2:02pm
Rush without a shred of doubt.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic