Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:41pm
That, Starfield and Rage 2 were the only good things to come out of Bethesda's E3 conference, imo. Fallout 76 looks like it's exactly what I DON'T want from the series, just like Anthem is exactly what I DON'T want from Bioware. Multiplayer gaming is really taking over the AAA gaming industry in a bad way, and it makes me pretty depressed.

On the bright side, From Software's new game Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is multiplatform, Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks awesome and Metro: Exodus is confirmed to be out on February 22nd of next year.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 3:29am
Steam sale starts next week. For once I don't have any plans to buy anything, though I do have £10 built up in my Steam wallet just from selling the crap that drops from the Steam trading card badges in the last six months. I may let that roll over to the next sale though: Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be out by then and even if that's too early to get a discount I'll still have a chunk of it paid off basically by Valve themselves. I'm almost 25% of the way there already. Either that or it depends on what kind of discount Far Cry 5 gets at any point. I'm not expecting much of one in this sale though as it's still too new. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 11:51am
I'll have a look to see what's on offer but I'm also not planning on buying much, if anything. I easily dropped about £200 in the last one and haven't even touched some of the games I bought yet. Steam sales offer too much temptation to spend your savings. Maybe I should just ignore it. 

Small text: I'm under orders from my wife not to rack up such a huge bill this sale. Embarrassed
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 12:10pm
Well after Christmas's shocker that Steam worked on the first day of the sale, seems that Valve were unable to make it two in a row. Store has been pretty much unusable for the last 70 minutes, since the sale went live. I really don't know how they can finally fix whatever problem they had the one time then immediately go back to business as usual (which is to say, no business at all) the next. 

Edited by adg211288 - 21 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 12:34pm
Thankfully, I don't have any money right now, so I don't have to worry about trying to get purchases to go through. I am trying to scout out for next week, when I will money, though, and I can't even get my wishlist to load to see which games I have there are on sale, lol!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 12:42pm
I'm just trying to load up on as many free sale trading cards as I can then sell the crap they drop. Free money. I'm at £11.11 now just from selling that junk on the Steam market. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:41am
Having had a chance to look now I have to say that this sale doesn't actually look very good at all! I know that no Steam sale is ever going to be as good as your first one but it does seem to me as if the deals are nowhere near as good as they were when I first joined Steam. Titles that used to always get 75% knocked off without fail in the Summer/Winter sales now only go to 50%, such as the early Far Cry games (which have also had an increase in base price, in spite of their age). A lot of coveted titles don't go on sale as high as they do at random times during the year either, if they get a discount at all. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:13am
The only thing that is remotely tempting me in this sale is Far Cry 5, which has 25% off but with what money I have built up from selling trading card badge crap I would get down to around 50% off before I had to use my own money. The only thing holding me back right now is that some of the reviews are telling horror stories about the Uplay (or as legitimate players call it, UDon'tPlay) DRM. I do have this on Far Cry 3 of course, but I do recall it proved a real pain in the arse at times with that and other Ubisoft games that I'm loath to drop £25 on the game if it's just going to cause me stress before I can even get into it.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 2:09pm
Unexpectedly, Life is Strange 2 is beginning to look like it might not be a day one purchase for me, after I was initially excited to get more of the series. First of all, Dontnod really screwed up with Vampyr, the worst game I've played in years, and now they put out a free demo called The Awesome (more like "Mediocre") Adventures of Captain Spirit, meant to be a teaser for LiS 2, and I wasn't all that thrilled by it. Turns out, maybe I just loved Max and Chloe too much, and playing with other characters won't work for me. Either way, the game has good exploration, as usual, and I like the way it throws in imaginary super powers and worlds, but the actual writing seemed very forced and not at all up to the levels of season 1, though I think it may just be that I miss the original cast too much. 

Either way, though, between being disappointed by this and hating Vampyr, I think buying the game right away could be a risk. It also doesn't help that where the original was around $25-30 here, LiS 2 is seriously $50, which is way too much for that kind of game, imo. The final season of Telltale's The Walking Dead is $27, for comparisons sake, while I usually prefer LiS over Telltale games, that price difference is still pretty insane. I've definitely lost a lot of my hype for it, that's for sure.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 2:22pm
Having not played Vampyr I can't comment on that (I may pick it up one day if it gets cheap enough) but I haven't found myself with much hype for Life is Strange 2. I actually liked their first game Remember Me a lot more than most people seemed to, but they haven't earned early purchase from me. To be honest the only games on the horizon (fiances depending) that would earn that from me are Shadow the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus, and Cyberpunk 2077.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 6:55pm
Yeah, I plan on getting all those as well. I already have the Croft Edition of Tomb Raider preordered. The only concern for Cyberpunk is, people are describing the behind closed doors demo as being far ahead of current technology, so that has me feeling I might be buying a whole new console to play it, which would be expensive, obviously. And in your case, you'll most likely need a new PC for it, if it ends up being as demanding as it appears to be. Either that or it'll get seriously downgraded, which if anything would be more disappointing.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 1:26am
Yeah I do smell another Witcher 3 'downgrade' scandal coming. Like I thought last time when people lost their shit over that though, I'll just presume that they're okay to run the game at sub 10FPS so long as it looks before it's time. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:05am
The thing about Witcher 3, though, is even at release it still looked absolutely amazing, especially for such a big open world game, so that controversy never really made sense to me. It's like people wlll find any little thing to complain about. Though, seriously, I think that started from Watch Dogs, where it looked insanely good the first time Ubisoft showed it off, but then when it came out the game, both graphically and in the gameplay, wasn't anywhere even close to what was originally shown. I think people have been quick to call out devs on making downgrades ever since that debacle. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:42am
Witcher 3 looked great when it came out and still does. I actually recently started a completely fresh run on it. This game though, like many that came before it or since, will always suffer from the kind of people whose logic dictates to them: 'this is popular, time to take a shit on it'. My mind boggles at some of the complaints people levy at the game still. It's clear we're not playing title. Just a few examples I see regularly:

• The graphics were downgraded (still unclear on why this is worse than a game that doesn't run on current hardware)
  • The writing is bad (subjective, and I presume people confuse writing being bad with the story not appealing to them)
  • The combat is terrible (Actually, I think Witcher 3 has one of the smoothest combat systems I've ever experienced and this was even before the supposed 'alternate movement' patch (which I notice zero difference with). The only thing I will say against it as a PC player is that I find it really awkward using keyboard and mouse. I have to use a controller for Witcher 3. On Witcher 2 I've completed the game with both no problem (though do tend to favour the controller of the two). I presume people who say the combat is bad are confusing a bad system with their poor skill at the game. Otherwise I'd love to know what games they're holding it up against, something that never seems to be forthcoming from people who criticise the combat)
  • It doesn't run well (Says everyone who ever tried to run a game at higher settings than their system will allow. To be fair again there are a few tweaks I employ to stabilise certain aspects of the game plus the Hairworks was and still somewhat is far too demanding on most GPU's to use and get 60FPS, but employing tweaks is par for the course with PC gaming, as everyone's system is different. Those that don't accept that need to return to consoles)
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

t's like people wlll find any little thing to complain about.

Too true, and applicable to pretty much everything these days. I genuinely think the world is getting madder by the day.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

t's like people wlll find any little thing to complain about.

Too true, and applicable to pretty much everything these days. I genuinely think the world is getting madder by the day.

This is my impression too. Everyone is so worried about what they say or do these days just in case they offend someone (especially a minority group) and I think the trend of calling out everyone on anything and everything has a lot to do with that. A lot of the ridiculous ones are isolated incidents that don't catch on, but the point is someone out there came up with the thought that 'we can't say that anymore we may offend __________')

Here's one word I heard recently that has come under fire (though the article I'm referring to is from 2008): brainstorming. When I was at school we often used the word and still did through college and university. Now I stumbled upon this article which says some council somewhere (I didn't read the details, just the headline) banned the word in case they offended epileptics. 

Another one I heard recently is that doctors aren't allowed to say 'pregnant woman' or 'expectant mother' anymore because it's offensive to transgender people. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Another one I heard recently is that doctors aren't allowed to say 'pregnant woman' or 'expectant mother' anymore because it's offensive to transgender people. 

Then I guess biology itself is offensive to them too! LOL

I've nothing against transgender people of course, it's all each to their own, but this is one of the most ridiculous things in the whole 'you can't say that anymore' trend that I've heard yet. It's in the very laws of nature that it's women who give birth, for fuck's sake.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 12:51pm
But we're getting off topic...though while we're on the subject I must admit I do dislike it that tagging video games with 'female protagonist' seems like a wholly necessary trend to me. Same with the way EM insists on using 'Vocals (female)' instead of just vocals.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 12:58pm
I do see your point about the female protagonist tag and I do agree that it should die out, but with the way that the gaming industry was and still somewhat is geared up to male player characters and as someone who tends to find a lot of those male characters to be generically designed (including the default Male Shepard in Mass Effect), as I player I do tend to find female lead characters a lot more interesting so in that respect the female protagonist tag (which is seen a lot on Steam) is useful. Of course not all the lead characters or the games themselves are interesting to me (you get a lot of anime stuff), but it's a good starting point and has led me to a gem every now and then. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 1:04pm
The one knock against Wither 3 I agree with is the not running well thing, though that's because I played on console. I imagine a PS4 Pro would run it better and if I had a powerful enough PC I could run it well, but on a normal PS4 it really does run poorly, even compared to some other open world games I have, though the ones I'm thinking of are exclusives that were designed specifically for PS4 hardware. Vampyr has since come along to challenge it for my worst running and most buggy game yet, but at the time I played it, I think it was easily my worst running game, and it probably still holds that title.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 94>
  Share Topic