Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 12:17am
I'm finally starting on the first Witcher, now that I have a laptop that can run it. Just did the intro section and a little bit afterward so far, but I'll likely continue it tomorrow or later in the week. I need to readjust to the combat style, which is completely different from the third game, but seems fine enough so far. Otherwise, it's cool seeing characters I recognize from the third game already, and I think if it goes well I'll likely give the second game one last shot (probably on PC as well) then if that goes well I may even do a re-play of The Wild Hunt, since I loved that game despite its annoying glitches.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 1:54am
Yeah the first Witcher game is pretty different in style to even the second game, but I love it and have played it many times over now. Do make sure you've playing a fully updated version on PC though: when I first got in (on disc, pre-Steam days) the game was pretty much unplayable straight out of the box due to crashes and save game erasures. 

Can't speak for console but I find Wild Hunt to be quite smooth on PC now so long can you use a few settings tweaks both in game and in Nvidia control panel. There are a few persistent glitches still (such as rain clipping through the ground in that cave under Byways and a few other places), but I haven't hit anything game breaking for a long time.

Can't say the same about Mass Effect Andromeda unfortunately. I have several quests I've 'done' that are still stuck in my journal at this point and a couple that have broken progress in the game and forced a reload:

After taking out the main Kett place on Voeld (the one on the main map, not the exultation place you fly to as part of the main quest) I took a wrong turn and ended up in a dead end, but the door locked behind me so I couldn't get back out. I ended up in a never ended fighting consisting of a single Kett spawning out of nowhere the second the last one was killed, making it impossible to even fast travel away.

During the mission'The Firefighters' when SAM gets infected with a virus it's possible to break the quest completely by activating the consoles to fix him too quickly. You have to wait until the visual aide he loads for you is shown activating each one, even though the button prompt appears beforehand. If you don't the visual aside just runs around in circles repeating the activation order, but no consoles can be operated by the player at that point. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:35am
Yeah, I remember I played a bit of it on my brother's old PC when it first came out, and about every 15-20 minutes I would get the message "The Witcher has stopped working" Angry. That was driving me crazy. I got it on GOG, because it and the second game were on sale for like $8 combined at the time, and so far I got back to the furthest point I had been at before, and haven't had any crashes or issues at all, so it seems to be fine. It is the "Enhanced Edition", btw.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 11:13am
Yeah that's how it was for me when I first got it on disc. Updating to the enhanced was free but it took a while for me to find the download and get it all working. I eventually replaced with a Steam copy when it went cheap to avoid future hassle. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 1:05pm
Bethesda has done it yet again: They released a demo for the new Prey on consoles, but didn't release it on PC for no apparent reason at all, which has people suspecting another poor optimization, which Dishonored 2 apparently had. In fact, they haven't even listed system requirements on Steam yet (though they have been revealed elsewhere and seem pretty steep.) 

The sad thing is, I was actually really hyped up for the game and even preordered it on PS4, because the early footage made it look a lot like Bioshock, which I love, but after actually playing the demo, I'm having some doubts. The exploration and atmosphere are great and the plot seems interesting, but the combat somehow feels even worse than the original Bioshock did: Using the wrench is extremely slow and awkward, compared to the enemies which can move really fast and are a pain to deal with, even on Easy, and the shooting is completely broken, because you don't even get a proper scope mode, just some weird view which lets you zoom in and out, but it moves so slow I can't possibly see it being a viable option. I still plan on playing the game when it's out, since I can't cancel my preorder at this point, but I'm definitely gearing myself up for a letdown. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 1:05am
The requirements don't seem too bad to me for current gen games to be honest...except that we all know that while it may say GTX 970 for recommended there's no chance in hell that actually means 60FPS max settings. Probably won't even get that with my 1070 (because I sure as hell don't on any other recent AAA titles, even ones that are a couple of years old now). Some of the requirements are a bit lower than Dishonored 2 by the way, especially for AMD cards. 

I am kinda of interested in Prey (not as an early purchase like Andromeda or Dishonored 2 though), but something does seem fishy about that demo situation. I think that Dishonored 2 was a brilliant game, in some ways perhaps even better than the first, but it did have a ton of performance issues at launch, some of which were still present the last time I played it, which was back in January after clocking 122 hours on it. And I don't feel like I'm done with it either, so ultimately it was worthwhile and a game I highly recommend to anyone, but having it at launch definitely wasn't a pleasant experience. Given that it's the same developer as well as publisher I'd be very sceptical that it's going to perform fine out of the box. No other recent AAA title I've played has. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:41am
I finished Mass Effect Andromeda yesterday, with 98% completion. I had a few of the 'task' quests left in my journal but several of those I'd actually done and they'd just bugged out and at least one was outright broken and couldn't be completed. 

I really enjoyed the game overall, performance issues aside. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:10am
Been playing Prey for about two hours, and just had my first freeze already! I'm really torn, because I think the atmosphere and exploration aspects of the game are amazing and the plot seems interesting, but the combat still feels busted like it did in the demo, and if that early freeze is a sign of things to come, I think the game may not have been ready for release. Like, it's disappointing, because it feels like I should be loving the game, but it seems to be doing everything in its power to prevent that from happening.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:56pm
Finished Prey earlier tonight. Despite a rough start and some glitches along the way (had one crash, one freeze, some serious slowdown and times where the interface stopped working and I had to reset the game to fix it) I actually ended up loving it. Combat took some getting used to and isn't as good as it could have been, but it gets better once you unlock powers, and the exploration is amazing, with a ton of fairly big areas to explore, tons of side quests to do and lots of neat backstory. It's also very tense and atmospheric, which I like, and it blends Sci-Fi and horror elements very well. The plot was good as well and had a nice twist, and I like how it handles endings, in that choices you make throughout the game do effect it, and at the end there are multiple choices, but without going into specifics, it's definitely much more involved than your average "pick an option from a conversation and enjoy the show" kind of ending.  Basically, though, if "Bioshock in space, with horror elements and a bit of Deus Ex mixed in" sounds appealing to you, I'd definitely recommend it. Though maybe wait on the PC version, because apparently there's some game breaking bugs they have to fix, where people are constantly getting crashes after around 20-30 hours, or getting broken save files. Thankfully, none of that happened to me on PS4, and the bugs I got were all annoying rather than game breaking.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:30pm
Damn it, just read the Mass Effect series is going on hold again, which really pisses me off, because I actually loved Andromeda, and there's definitely more they have done with a sequel (the ending practically hints at one, even.) I really hate when bad reviews and negative early feedback sinks a game like that, because I honestly liked it just as much as the first two ME games I'd say, and I honestly have no interest in the next Bioware game right now, as it's apparently an online action game. I was already upset about Deus Ex going on hold, but this news hit me much harder than that Angry
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 2:33am
That sucks. Andromeda had its technical issues (what new AAA title doesn't?) but as a game it was very, very solid and nowhere near as bad as gaming reviewers have been making it out to be. I thought it reinvented the series in an excellent way and I spent more time on a single playthrough of it than a run of the original trilogy combined. I was actually really sad when I eventually wrapped it up and I haven't been able to settle into a new game properly since. 

Which brings me to Deus Ex because despite repeated attempts I still haven't been able to get into Mankind Divided. I've got past the prologue now but that's about it. The game looks great and so far has performed perfectly, but the controls just feel so clunky this time around that I can't get any real flow going because I'm too busy worrying about pressing the wrong button due to the poor key mapping. The worst is 'enter cover' and 'grenade' because they're right next to each other and I keep accidentally dropping grenades at Jensen's feet instead of leaving cover. 

So right now I'm mostly working on my Fallout 4 settlements again. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:29am
Witcher TV series in development.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/05/17/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series

I'm tentatively excited, so long as they get the tone of the series right. Fantasy TV adaptations are so hit and miss. Game of Thrones got it right. Shannara did quite well in an intentionally bringing it up to date way but Sword of Truth really sucked. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:21pm
Yeah, that could be interesting, or it could be a total disaster. One problem, though, is how will it stand out from Game of Thrones, considering they both fall on the dark side of fantasy and can both be pretty harsh and brutal sometimes? Guess we'll have to see how it turns out.

Right now I'm playing The Surge, which is basically another developer trying to make "Sci-Fi Dark Souls". The actual combat is really good and being able to dismember different body parts for loot is cool, but the enemy placements have been really harsh in a not at all fun way that Souls games usually do a much better job with, and the game is already testing my patience, with how every aspect of it seems to be slightly stacked against you. I'm still having some fun with it, but compared to Dark Souls it definitely feels more like it's trying to be hard for the sake of it rather than being challenging in a fun way.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Yeah, that could be interesting, or it could be a total disaster. One problem, though, is how will it stand out from Game of Thrones, considering they both fall on the dark side of fantasy and can both be pretty harsh and brutal sometimes? Guess we'll have to see how it turns out.

Well, the Witcher saga has the whole elves and dwarves etc thing going on that GoT doesn't, so that's one major difference. There's also Ciri's world-hopping powers (The last book that I'm reading actually starts in our world, well at least one where Arthurian legend is real anyway, because she has a conversation with Sir Galahad), though those would only come into play later. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 1:12pm
I decided to jump back into Dishonored 2 again since it's been patched a couple more times since I last played, just to see if it was finally as fully smooth as the first game.

Would you believe that the game now runs worse for me? FPS drops that were previously fixed are back with a vengeance and I've had to knock all settings down to get close to a stable 60FPS again. I have checked and I am still opted into the beta patch, so this is pretty mind-boggling. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 1:52pm
^Lol! Unfortunately, I can believe that, though, because i saw footage from Digital Foundry for the latest Prey patch on consoles, and now the PS4 version randomly has screen tearing that wasn't there when I played at launch, and it now randomly stutters like crazy. In fact, the footage I saw made it look unplayable in its current state, where when I played it the game was smooth about 85% of the time, and then every once in a while it would start glitching. I never had massive stutters, though, so that seems like an entirely new problem for them to deal with. 

My main game right now is the Trails in the Sky series, which is a turn-based JRPG, though it's much more focused on plot and world building than on combat. It can have some challenging fights every once in a while, but the writing is its biggest strength. It's been awesome so far, about midway through the second game. I find I'm getting burned out of my Dark Souls style games lately, and there aren't any big new games out for a few months, so for the next while I'll be playing some old JRPGs as a nice change of pace, and also because that's my favorite genre of game, anyway. 

My next new game I'm interested in is Hellblade, though that looks like it could be really good or a total disaster, so I may wait for reviews on it. There's also Agents of Mayhem from the Saints Row developer, but between not being sold on the team based gameplay (still singleplayer, but you have to constantly switch between a group of 4 characters) and problems with the PS4 version of SRIV, I'm probably waiting for fan feedback on that one to see if it's worth a shot or not. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 2:09pm
I'm pretty sure the issue is the game because other games I've played recently are fine, including Witcher 3 (which I consider a much better looking game than Dishonored 2 - I've even managed to get rid of the initial load-up stutter now after 931 hours, lol) or at least only have their usual issues - Fallout 4 often microfreezes for a second or two for little reason, which I suspect may be a mod thing. 

I'm trying an uninstall and complete reinstall of Dishonored 2 without the beta patch to see if that makes a difference, but I've not got my hopes up. The weird thing is that several people on Steam are saying this latest patch fixed everything...yet it (or maybe even the last one I never tested) fucked it up for me. It's not unplayable (it never was for me) and my worse drop is actually in a cutscene (the skiff ride in mission 2), but it is really frustrating. I'm kind of dreading getting to A Crack in the Lab on this run because that mission was always the worst for frame drops, when using the Time Piece. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 7:14am
I forced Dishonored 2 off the beta patch and guess what? I'm running on near full ultra (shadows turned down) again with minimal drops (that skiff ride into mission 2 is still all over the place though). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:20am
http://www.pcgamer.com/daud-and-billie-lurk-return-for-dishonored-2-death-of-the-outsider/

This is pretty much where I expected the expansions to Dishonored 2 to go, though the stand-alone status is unexpected. 

Hope it performs better than the base game at launch. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 11:38am
^I wouldn't bet on it, knowing Arcane's recent track record with bugs, lol!

So far, the best thing to come out of E3 for me is that we're getting a Life is Strange prequel, in three parts, starting at the end of August. Also, apparently it's being done by a different team, and the sequel by the original team is still happening, but it's still a ways off, so this will be a nice treat to tide me over until then. 

Also very interested in Tacoma, which is by the Gone Home developer, and it looks similar to that, effect its in space. If anything, it almost looks like it'll be close to what the new Prey would be without any of the combat, which was my least favorite aspect of that game, so I'm very much looking forward to it. 

And of course, Metro: Exodus also looks cool. I still need to play the first two games in that series, now that I have the Redux versions on PS4. Apparently, the new one is going to be a mix of outdoor open world areas and the typical linear indoor areas found in previous games, so it sounds interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 94>
  Share Topic