Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 3:57pm
Got Deus Ex but I haven't started it yet. Soon, probably. I'm quite involved with a Fallout 4 settlement build right now that I'm pretty proud of. My previous settlements have tended to get a bit stupid, stuff that would probably fall down in real life, so I'm quite happy with a more realistic Sanctuary build I've got going. Demolished a few of the existing houses and sealed off the rest and have built various lean-to's and converted the under cover car parking spaces into small shelters, along with a few modest new buildings. I am taking some liberties with the game lore by using mods to add new living trees to the area, so it now looks like a makeshift village in a forest. 

I also got the Rise of the Tomb Raider season pass yesterday. I was kinda hoping it would go below 50% off by now but decided to get it anyway. I got the base game for free anyway, so I think of it as £5 for each. So far I'm not regretting it, having played Baba Yaga and Croft Manor today.

Baba Yaga integrated with the main game and provided a decent new mission although I figured out the plot twist almost straight away since it was a bit cliche. Croft Manor was also good but was a slow paced mission with no combat, though I enjoyed it for all the backstory it added to the game. I can see why it wasn't integrated into it properly though as it would have really slowed the pace for ages right at the start, which probably would have pissed most players off. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 11:34am
For me, all the DLC came with my copy automatically. I guess that's the one advantage of getting screwed over with timed exclusivity: At least when I finally get the game I get the full version without having to pay for DLC Wink

I liked Baba Yaga quite a bit, because it had a certain atmosphere to it that was different from the main game, so I thought that was pretty cool, and the boss fight was fun. Blood Ties was the best of the bunch, though, just for all the backstory and yeah, it definitely worked best on its own, because it's basically  that game's version of Gone Home, so it wouldn't have fit in with the main game at all. I also got one called Lara's Nightmare, which also takes place in the manor,  though it was just a horde mode. It was kinda fun, though it had very little plot, so it wasn't really my thing.

Right now I'm using the PS4's Playstation Now streaming service to play The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, as well as its sequel. They're turn0based JRPGs, which is already my thing, but they also have a heavy social sim element, which reminds me of Persona, one of my favorite franchises, except it has more areas to explore than those games, while still having great dialogue and fun combat, so it's pretty much been exactly what I would have hoped for. It doesn't have a main plot yet, mostly just small self-contained chapters with signs of a bigger plot going on in the background, but so far I'm been loving it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 4:06pm
Took a gamble of buying this Stardew Valley game people have been raving about.

Got to admit, I'm hooked already to the point that Deus Ex isn't even getting a look in. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 12:46pm
I beat Resident Evil 7 a couple nights ago. It was really cool overall, surprisingly so. There were parts in the first half where it had some of that hide and seek style gameplay I'm not so fond of, like in Outlast and Amnesia, but it wasn't done too terribly. More importantly, though, the overall game felt very much like classic RE except in first-person, and while games like the first Amnesia and SOMA are probably better games overall, I'd go as far as to say of all horror games I've played since Silent Hill 3, this one comes the closest to the kind of classic survivor horror gameplay I want from the genre, which is awesome.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 12:52pm
Welp, it looks like the ongoing Deus Ex series may be done, according to reports. Apparently Mankind Divided flopped badly and so the developer is moving on to the new Tomb Raider (apparently called Shadow of the Tomb Raider) and some Guardians of the Galaxy game. That sucks big time, because I liked the past two games and without going into spoilers, Mankind Divided left a ton of room for a sequel, to say the least.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 1:04pm
I haven't got past the first mission in Mankind Divided yet so I can't really judge the game too much other than to say there's something about it that feels oddly clunkly to me compared to Human Revolution. I say oddly because so far the game has performance smoothly, but something feels off in the controls to me. I haven't been able to get into it. 

I can't say I'm shocked to hear that though as I know a lot of players felt done over by the game in various ways, including some claiming it was only half a story (can't confirm or deny that yet). And then of course there were those micro transactions, which was out of line for a single player title. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 12:01am
Just playing some AC:NL. Kind of wanna try Stardew Valley though!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:02pm
I'm finally starting to get some real hype going for the new Mass Effect. 

The price to pre-order is really putting me off though. I could get it £10 cheaper on Amazon by buying the 'code in a box' option but the actual base price is £49.99. £54.99 if I want the bulk of the Deluxe edition extras (which Amazon seems to only sell for the Xbox). I guess that's becoming the standard as that was technically Witcher 3's base price too except CD Project gave a pre-order discount plus extra loyalty discount which took it down to £34.99 for me. Can't see EA ever doing that. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 1:57am
I'm both hyped and extremely nervous about it. The actual gameplay looks great, but I've heard it has barren, empty spaces like the last Dragon Age had, so that makes me nervous about it being fully open world, and also preview builds were apparently really glitchy, so that's never a good sign. I hope it turns out well, though, because I spent $90 on it, even though I won't be started it until mid/late April due to other releases coming up in that time.

I started Horizon: Zero Dawn tonight, and it reminds me a lot of the two recent Tomb Raider games so far, except it's more combat heavy. Aside from that, though, it's absolutely gorgeous and the combat seems really intense and strategic, so it's looking like a massively hyped up game that may actually deliver.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 3:49am
Alex and I agreed that we'd wait to make sure its launch isn't botched like most major games before buying it. I am eager to give it a go though.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:22pm
Just got my new gaming laptop my brother ordered me, so I'm going to be messing around with it for a while. My main games for now will be Grim Dawn, a solid looking Diablo style game and Hollow Knight, a Metroidvania type game, which looks really good. I tried Ryse: Son of Rome as a performance test, and while I deleted the immediately because I hated the gameplay, it was running fairly well, so at least on that front it was a success.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Just got my new gaming laptop my brother ordered me, so I'm going to be messing around with it for a while. My main games for now will be Grim Dawn, a solid looking Diablo style game and Hollow Knight, a Metroidvania type game, which looks really good. I tried Ryse: Son of Rome as a performance test, and while I deleted the immediately because I hated the gameplay, it was running fairly well, so at least on that front it was a success.

Nice one mate, what sort of spec has it got?
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:37pm
i7-7700, 2.80 GHZ, 8 GB RAM and it has a built in Nvidia 1050 TI.

I'll mostly be using it for PC exclusives, RPGs and indies, though my brother said it probably could run some AAA games at mid settings if I wanted to, which I probably won't because my PS4 is my main system. For what I want to use a PC for, though, this should be perfect.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:05am
Man, I'm really itching to play the new Mass Effect now, because players on Xbox and PC have the option to play it for 10 hours this week. Really makes me wish I had the same option on PS4, but Sony rejected that plan a couple years back, which really pisses me off, because I want to play through the game in one go without rushing, but I have so much coming out in the next while, that it may not be possible. I'm hearing funny things about facial animations, but aside from that the game itself looks cool, and my brother has it and said the combat feels like Mass Effect except better than usual, and the writing seems good so far. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 17 Mar 2017 at 11:05am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:42pm
I kinda both really want to play it and also am really apprehensive about it. Some of the early reports I've looked at haven't exactly been glowing with mentions of bugs (especially in animations, not just facial ones) but I've also seen the game's systems described as lacking and even boring.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:54pm
Yeah, I've been laughing at a youtube video that shows a bunch of animation oddities, glitches and just weird shit happening. It's the kind of thing where it does look like a rush job, but it's more hilarious than anything and I doubt it'll really effect my enjoyment. The funniest part is when it shows one of the characters shooting while clearly holding their gun backwards, lol!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 3:18am
I stand to make a fair amount of money from ebay sales this week, so I'm seriously considering taking the plunge on it but I may still wait a few extra weeks and hopefully then any teething problems will have been worked out. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:19am
It's been getting hammered pretty hard on the reviews, but I played it for about 4 hours last night, and honestly: It's a Bioware game. So if you've liked their past work, there's really no reason you should like Andromeda, at least on what I've played so far. Some complain about the writing, but I think it's been perfectly fine so far, and the setting and characters have been interesting as always. Combat also seems really cool so far, a lot more active than in past ME games. 

The facial animations are bad, though, but that and their insistence on throwing multiplayer options into singleplayer are my only issues so far (it can be completely avoided, obviously, but I still would have rather had them focused on other areas instead of that.) Funniest scene so far: One character says "Sorry, my face is tired", and sure enough, her face does look insanely tired, lol.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:43pm
The only review I've (briefly) looked at is PC Gamer's. They gave it 80/100.

Between some other games I've been reworking my way through ME1 (with the intent to do the whole trilogy again) and I'm reminded all the time of how much I loved the original series, so I expect I will be picking Andromeda up sooner rather than later. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:03pm
So, just found out that Dream Theater has a video game.

Just got it in a bundle. Given my dislike of the album I'm not too interested in it, but I may have a look at some point. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 94>
  Share Topic