Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:04pm
I played through a couple of 2D platformers called Shantae: Risky's Revenge, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. They were both fun little games, with light metroidvania elements, mostly for using your abilities you unlock through story areas to go back and explore areas and find health/magic upgrades, as well as items for side quests. They were both very good, and the new one coming next month looks great as well.

I also started another metroidvania style game called Dex. It has a cyberpunk setting, which is cool, and I like the world design and dialogue so far, but the combat is going to take some time to get used to, as it feels very clunky and button mashy. Hopefully I can get it to work, because so far it's been holding the game back for me.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 5:34am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

I liked Nehrim even though it was all in German. I'll be sure to try Enderal as well.

I just reinstalled Nehrim. I'm enjoying Enderal but I can't for the life of me remember much about what happened in Nehrim so I may even replay it it all before continuing with Enderal. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 7:57pm
Finally got around to playing The Old Blood. Wasn't nearly as good as New Order but they did have like a quarter of the development time so for what it is it was pretty good. 
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I played through a couple of 2D platformers called Shantae: Risky's Revenge, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. They were both fun little games, with light metroidvania elements, mostly for using your abilities you unlock through story areas to go back and explore areas and find health/magic upgrades, as well as items for side quests. They were both very good, and the new one coming next month looks great as well.
Shantae is fantastic! I did a speedrun on Pirate's Curse and I'll never forget how fun it was. I'm definitely on board for Half Genie Hero.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 9:32pm
I would never be able to speed run those games, one because I suck at the more complex platforming parts and fail them a lot, and also because I like to play slow and explore a lot. I took just under 11 hours to beat The Pirate's Curse, which is probably extremely slow, and about 8 hours for Risky's Revenge. 

I did end up playing all the way through Dex. Usually I'd have written a mini-review on my videogames list on RYM by now, but I really can't decide what to rate the thing. I never did get the hang of combat: It got a little better as I put skills into both melee and ranged, but even then it still felt awkward. It also has hacking sequences which turn it into an NES style space shooter, and while I like the idea, the execution is sometimes fun but sometimes terrible. But at the same time, I loved exploring the city, loved the story and lore, loved the sidequests, which often had their own story, and I certainly can't say I didn't have a great time overall. What makes it frustrating is it ticks so many boxes for things I love in games, and yet the execution is so off in certain areas, it's hard to really recommend. I sure enjoyed it, though. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:47am
Been playing this today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/482300/

Not bad, though a bit too much of a walking simulator. There's a presentation of threats in the form of enemies but encounters are totally scripted so there isn't ever any real danger. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:39am
So it seems the new Deus Ex runs absolutely terrible on PC if most of the Steam reviews coming in are to be believed, with not even the new GTX 1080's able to get good performance. 

I'm glad I never bit the bullet and bought it now. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:50am
That sucks. Hopefully they can get it patched and working better soon. I'll be able to give you an idea of how bad it is later tonight: My brother pre-ordered the game and will be starting it later tonight. His PC can run just about anything well, so if he tells me he's having serious problems running the game, we'll know something has gone seriously wrong with the Steam version.

The game also apparently has microtransactions, which is lame. At the very least they don't factor into the main game at all, but that's still disappointing to hear.

I started the game up last night, but only had enough time to do the tutorial mission, so I can't say much about it yet. The graphics seem better but a little less unique, and the controls feel better than in Human Revolution, but still a bit off. Other than that, there's not much to say so far.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 12:18pm
Well it would have been around Xmas time before I was even considering getting it anyway, so hopefully they do something before then. Though I did just see an article that said that the Very High and Ultra presets are more about future-proofing to keep the game looking great as technology improves (Rise of the Tomb Raider had a similar setting, though cards that could supposedly handle it did exist for it), so maybe people are reading the GTX 970 recommend GPU as being able to get 60FPS average on Ultra with one or better. Apparently the devs are only promising a 60FPS average on the high preset. Rise of the Tomb Raider was the same, though it still had areas that ran noticeably worse such as the Geothermal Valley. 

I expect I'll replay Human Revolution before I get Mankind Divided either way. 

Have to say though that out of the two it's Dishonoured 2 I've most hyped for. 

Edited by adg211288 - 23 Aug 2016 at 12:19pm
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:51am
My husband and I are waiting to see if Mankind Divided gets any sort of a discount in the Steam Christmas sale. It'll have been out a few months by then. Doubt Dishonored 2 will get a discount since it's not out until November (Fallout 4 did not last year if I recall correctly), but I expect we'll get that at the same time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:06am
You're right that Fallout 4 didn't. Deus Ex has a small chance but it obviously won't be a massive one. 25% at most if we are lucky (I've actually already seen some 25% offers though some places). 

Dishonored 2 I'm getting then regardless of whether or not it has a discount. I loved the first game so much that it's earned a full price purchase from me...plus I already kinda feel like I owe them money anyway. I got the complete version of the first game dirt cheap due to a Steam pricing glitch. £2.39 for the game and all DLC. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 11:57am
I think you were right to hold off on Mankind Divided, unfortunately: A streamer I watch sometimes apparently had an issue where the game would keep crashing while trying to load at the same part every time, so he can't advance the game and now has to wait for a patch. He's playing on Steam and he was told it's a common problem. It's pretty damn sad to see a full price AAA game get released in that state.

I played it for a bit and liked the world, interactions and the hacking, but the enemy encounters seem to be a bit too much for me so far. Hopefully I can get into the combat, though, because everything else seems great.

Right now I've been playing a beta demo for a game called Nioh, which is up for two weeks, so I want to try and finish it before committing fully to Mankind Divided. It basically plays like Dark Souls except that al the criticisms Souls games get for being unfairly difficult, which I find to be false as an experienced player who knows the games well, actually do apply a bit to this one. For example, every time you take a hit your stamina drops, which can quickly lead to you getting stunned, and enemies can kill you in 2-3 hits. Yeah, no0t exactly the most fair gameplay. I like it and probably will buy the game, if not at full price, but compared to the Souls games it does feel like they blatantly tried to make as hard a game as possible. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 27 Aug 2016 at 11:59am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 12:34pm
Can I be honest? I actually forgot about Deus Ex until about a week being it launched. I never intended to pre-order despite how much I like Human Revolution (which I've started replaying in between my current Witcher 3 run), due to finances, but my hype is pretty much completely taken up by Dishonored 2. Which I'm praying has a better launch than Mankind Divided seems to have had.

I'm afraid though that this is becoming an all too common story with AAA games:

Game is announced.
Game gets delayed.
Game still doesn't work properly at launch. 
Game still doesn't work properly even after the dev has 'finished' patching it.
GG2U

vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 12:59am
started plqying this game and am realy enjoying it. It is different from the run of the mill sonic game. there is 3 ways to play through the levels. 1 just run through the level as fast as possible or 2 do either the evil or good mission. If you choose the evil or good mission the game pace slows down some what because you are focusing on a specific goal like kill all of this type of enemy or whatever. Also you unlock specific levels based on what mission you do so you have to play through the game multiple times to play every level. And lastly you get guns and can sometimes drive a vehicle. Pretty different from other sonic games. Its very fun. This game is not for everyone that likes sonic games though. Oh there is multiple endings as well

Edited by vmoore - 30 Aug 2016 at 1:00am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 3:13am
I had a quick look at Fallout 4 Nuka World this morning though I haven't played beyond the early main mission. For some reason a little way into it several of my active Far Harbour quests failed meaning Far Harbour is now buggered up on my current save, which pissed me off enough to stop playing it. I've now had to revert to an old save to restore my game, losing several hours of progress. 

Edited by adg211288 - 30 Aug 2016 at 3:17am
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:25am
^That great Bethesda programming LOL

I'll be starting that after I finish Deus Ex. I finally figure out how to kinda, somewhat do stealth non terribly, and I'm starting to get a feel for the combat, so I've been having a lot of fun with it lately. Despite all the controversy surrounding it at the moment, the game itself is still excellent.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 12:12am
I haven't really been playing anything in particular lately...some Animal Crossing: New Leaf here and L4D there...not much else!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 7:07am
Appaently the Deus Ex crash glitch I mentioned has already been fixed (the guy I mentioned having problems said he tried again since the patch and was able to finish the game,) so that's good. The PS4 version apparently has the same issue and it hasn't been patched on that version yet, so hopefully I don't get screwed by it.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 9:54am
I've played a little bit of Nuka World so far but I haven't had much time for gaming this week. I did the first couple of missions and then walked a little way into the park but so far the only thing I've really done is bump into that crazy Nuka Cola lady from Fallout 3 again...who I'm sure we all knew was going to be in this DLC as soon as the name was revealed.

I think the first mission was okay but having certain perks (the ones that stop you setting off traps) makes it far too easy. I'm not sold on the plot of the DLC yet unless something really changes though, for the simple reason that a lot of a the good/bad roleplay freedom was dropped from Fallout 4. You're a good person who may or may not be a bit sarcastic with people and that's it. You're not a villain. But all of a sudden you're supposed to be the leader of a bunch of raiders? It makes no sense at all.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 3:35pm
I honestly can't say I'm all that impressed having played it for a while this evening:

I've had no less than six quests so far that send you back to the Commonwealth to complete rather than actually taking place in the DLC area and they all seem to be the old Minutemen infinite quest loop again. 

The main quest so far had been pretty boring. I have to claim the other areas of the park and give them to a raider gang. Did one this evening, though not in full and it's basically a load of shooting and a massive scavenger hunt for these things called Star Cores in order to fix a mainframe. Found 20 which is the minimum you need to complete that area but there are still 15 out there somewhere to truly finish with it. 

From what other people are saying about it later in the DLC main quest it forces you to attack your own settlements. What the fuck is that about?

Bethesda really messed this one up. At least that's what it looks like so far. It basically says: 'hey we're done with the game now, so let's fuck everything up!' and that's also the only attitude I think I'm going to be able to play this with: when I've exhausted the save of all decent content and would otherwise be thinking of starting anew. 

I think I'm going back to Wild Hunt now. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 94>
  Share Topic