Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Steam sale day and guess what? Yep, site doesn't work.

When will Valve realise that their system cannot cope with the demand at sale time and do something about it? I'm sure they make enough money to invest some in better/more servers. 

Seems worse than usual this time. Almost 4 hours now and still haven't managed to buy anything. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 4:37pm
Finally got my sale purchases to go through.

I mostly bought 75% off games but decided to also get Soma at just 50% off. Been itching to play that one for months now. 

I have actually started a couple of other games in the last couple of days:

35mm - a few negative feelings here so far, mostly due to the terrible save system which is autosave only with checkpoints too few and far between but I like the overall atmosphere of the game. It's a post-apocalyptic tale of two men travelling to an as yet unstated destination. They seem to have been thrown together by chance and don't really know each other, but there does seem to be a level of trust between them. A lot of the game has been just walking and exploring so far but it does it in such a way that parts of the game were actually quite nerve racking. Had one major fight scene so far where it briefly turned into an FPS. The gunplay was okay but not great. They did not provide enough bullets to kill every enemy even with perfect aim though, so I had to run from the fight. Maybe that was the intention. I need to pick it up again from the next but which I kept dying on due to triggering traps - because of the awful save system I obviously kept being put back to the start of the area.

I've also started an RPGMaker game called Ara Fell. I've completed the prologue and a couple of main quest missions and a few side missions so far and it seems solid. The combat threw me as it presents itself as turn-based but is partly in real time so you can't sit there looking through your menus to choose what to do as the enemies will keep attacking. As such I got killed on the very first tutorial fight. Getting used to it now though. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 4:40pm
^That sounds similar to the classic Active Time Battle system classic Final Fantasy games used, which happens to be one of my favorites. I've been eyeing that game for a while, but I'm low on money until next week, so I'll probably get it as well as maybe a couple other steam games then, since the sale will still be on. 

And 50% off SOMA is a steal. I hope you like that game, because I sure did.

I just finished Mighty No. 9, and while it certainly has some issues, I had a good time with it overall. It gets a lot of late because of how the publisher and developer handled the kickstarter process, but the game itself is basically a modernized Mega Man X, with extra emphasis on the dash mechanics.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 5:28pm
I also just picked up Shadow of Mordor for 75% off. It's been a while since I played a Lord of the Rings game (the last one tried was War in the North which was a complete mess IMO) but I've heard a lot of good things about this one. 

Going to attempt to cap my spending here though. I was thinking of maybe getting Firewatch but it only went to 33% off. I think I'll wait to see what it goes to next time. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 2:13am
I ended up having enough to get Ara Fell last night, so I played it for a little bit and it looks good. It does indeed use the ATB system, which is cool. So far, I advanced the story past the first town, then just explored all over the place, finding some good equipment and items, but also two fights my party has no chance of winning yet. It's really neat how open the game is even early on, though. Later today I'll finally advance the plot for the first time since leaving town.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:25am
Played a bit of Soma today. Not completely sure what's going on yet though I have a suspicion that everything is just happening in Simon's head given how the early scenes played out (which were completely different to what I was expecting). 

Liking the game so far. I did have trouble with the first enemy that came along though. I managed to avoid it the first time though it was chasing me at the end I did manage to make my escape. However it later reappeared in the next section and here it seemed that no matter where I tried to hide it always seemed to go straight to that area to look for me and I didn't find that the rooms had many options to avoid its gaze, such the ability to edge round the back of the shelves in a store room despite there being a visible gap there. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 12:36pm
Yeah, I found I was better off just running away from enemies altogether, instead of trying anything else. I tried hiding from some of the enemies, and that never worked, and I also tried throwing stuff, and if anything that just got me spotted much quicker. That's the one problem with that game: Enemy encounters more feel like annoying obstacles than fun challenges. It's a much more plot heavy game than their Amnesia game was.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 1:01pm
Yeah I can see that already what with the voiced protagonist (well Daniel in Amnesia did speak but mostly reading notes) and more plot interactions. Seems Amnesia did enemy avoidance much better though. I expect that Soma may still be their best game so far, but it's a pity they couldn't bring the better stealth of their previous titles to it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 1:04pm
I've just played through the first episode of Space Pilgrim. Unlike most RPGmaker games this isn't actually a RPG, but a point and click story driven game. The first episode was quite entertaining bit it was rather short: finished it in exactly 80 minutes. Technically speaking that means I'm still eligible for a Steam refund for it (I'm not that cheap though!). Mind you the whole series cost just £0.60. Just leaving it idle now to get its Steam cards. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:00pm
Ara Fell is picking up big time, and could become my favorite RPG Maker game ever (though I saw Echoes of Aetheria got some massive rebalancing, so I may re-play that at some point to see how it stacks up now.) Basically, I now have a full party and the ability to reach stuff I couldn't before, so I'm just wandering around doing sidequests, and it's been awesome. The main story has been quite good as well. 

Also, Adam, if you'd prefer to play it like a typical turn-based game, you can select the "Wait On" option in the menu, and that will allow you to take as much time as you want in battle. I figured that out from my experience with this battle system.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 24 Jun 2016 at 10:02pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:17am
Thanks I hadn't realised that. I was getting on okay with the battle system when I left it though. I've got several new games in rotation right now so I'm not sure how quickly I'l get through this one.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 3:58am
Finished episode 2 of Space Pilgrim this morning. It took me a little longer but that's mostly because I got stuck on the last bit looking for an item that for the life of me I just couldn't find for ages. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 9:57am
Just encountered a really annoying enemy in Soma which is really giving me a bad time with the game (the one you're not even allowed to so much look at if you want to live). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 12:42pm
This may be of interest Travis, quite a few RPGmaker style games here at extra cut price for buying in a bundle (I just picked it up). Not everything interested me but there were more than enough that looking promising to pick it up for such a massive discount. 

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/813/

As for Soma, loving it more and more with each session I play it and definitely not regretting take the plunge at just 50% off. I just got out of the Theta area.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 1:53pm
Thanks for pointing the bundle out. I got it as well. I had a few games already, but there were quite a few I didn't have that looked interesting. I now have so many RPGs on Steam, it would probably take at least a full year of concentrated play to get through all of them, lol!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:56am
I just finished the Space Pilgrim series. Pretty awesome really and recommended as well. Not really RPG's despite being made in RPGMaker, but entertaining. 

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/246/
GG2U

vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:41am
Had a bitch of q time getting a $0.50 garage sale xbox 360 game to work. First i toothpasted it like a zillion times and that didn't work. Then i took it to the video rental store and they buffed it twice in their disc buffer and got it home n it started up n i played it a but then it froze so i tried installing it to the hard drive n it didn't go past 15%. I was pissed n i do toothpaste method again for a good 30 mins while watching tv. Then i tried installing it again n finally it installed 100% n i played it for 2 hours. It looked like some kid owned it n never once put it in a case at all since owning it. It was just a loose disk.

Edited by vmoore - 27 Jun 2016 at 9:44am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:20am
Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

It looked like some kid owned it n never once put it in a case at all since owning it. It was just a loose disk.

I can't stand people who don't take care of their games. Don't understand them either. They cost enough when new. I had a friend when I was in school who was like this. Discs everywhere. Loose, in the wrong cases, manuals either damaged or missing, you name it. We actually had a fight once (meaning shouting, not fists) when I took a game round his house and he tried to treat mine in the same manner. 

Edited by adg211288 - 28 Jun 2016 at 1:28am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:26am
Well I've got stuck on Soma. I've just reached Tau. The game did an Amnesia and had an enemy waiting pretty much right behind a door and just can't seem to find a way past this one. The first time I was waiting in full view for said door to open and it saw me straight away. Ran and hid somewhere dark but it still found me. Next time I started to open it and then went and hid so it didn't see me right away but it still came out and started searching and found me as soon as I tried to move. I've tried several times this morning but it always gets me. I've only made it a couple of steps into the room it comes from so far. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:45am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Well I've got stuck on Soma. I've just reached Tau. The game did an Amnesia and had an enemy waiting pretty much right behind a door and just can't seem to find a way past this one. The first time I was waiting in full view for said door to open and it saw me straight away. Ran and hid somewhere dark but it still found me. Next time I started to open it and then went and hid so it didn't see me right away but it still came out and started searching and found me as soon as I tried to move. I've tried several times this morning but it always gets me. I've only made it a couple of steps into the room it comes from so far. 

Finally got past this but it was total luck and a lot of running in the end. I've finished the game now. That ending was bittersweet to say the least. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 94>
  Share Topic