Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 1:00am
It looks like it's basically only there to stop you having to backtrack to bonfires (thus causing enemy respawn) all the time. 

I expect I'll get used to the controls...then next time I play Witcher I'll suck at that. LOL

Speaking of Witcher, it's come to my attention that a lot of people didn't like the combat in the third game, yet I think that's one of the best (not to mention smoothest) combat systems I've used in a game of its type. Mind you, a lot of people said Remember Me's combat was bad too, and I thought that was well done as well. There are a lot of things that could be changed in Remember Me to unlock the full potential of the setting and lore, but I don't think the combat need be one of them. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 1:35pm
Haven't gone back to Dark Souls yet. Been mostly playing The Evil Within. Not sure what made me buy it, as I'd tried the demo twice before and found it rather lacking, but I'm actually glad that I did as for the most part I'm really enjoying the game. It has some horrendously frustrating parts though, such as literally every new enemy introduced over the last few chapters having a one hit kill move. One boss I even had to eventually just do the 'run away' method on as no matter how hard I tried she just wouldn't die, no matter how much ammo I unloaded into her. If I didn't run out of ammo completely I got caught by her one hit kill attack, which put the fight right back to square one each time. 

The game has other issues too such as its crappy stealth system, as it forces you out of stealth as part of events so much, and enemies often seem to know exactly where you are before you've even been detected (I've been seen through walls on more than one occasion too). I've also had one major bug in that after defeating a boss the character was literally stuck in the air mid animation, unable to move, which forced me to go through a tough fight all over again. Combat is usually quite fun, but there are times when I wish I could use stealth more, but it's really not an option in a lot of locations. 

I finished the first episode of Life is Strange now, and enjoyed that a lot. Thinking about getting the rest while it's still on sale. The discount isn't massive, but something tells me it will be worth it.

Another game I started today is Murdered: Soul Suspect, which has actually been really awesome so far. Controls for taking down a demon are pretty awkward on PC, but that's the only gripe so far. 

Also still returning to Fallout 4, mostly for settlement building. My Red Rocket settlement is huge now and growing with every session. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:22pm
I finished Murdered: Soul Suspect yesterday. I don't think this game will have a massive amount of replayability, but it was mostly pretty awesome all the way through. 

On episode 4 of Life is Strange now. The end of episode 3 kinda freaked me out though. 

Also been playing the Portal 2 mod Aperture Tag. I was skeptical of a paid mod but it's been mostly fun. A couple of quite frustrating chambers, but good. It replaces the portal gun with a gun that shoots the Blue and Orange gels. There's even a few chambers from the official games in there that you can solve with gel instead of portals. Overall it's not up to the standard of Portal Stories: Mel (which is free), but it is worth buying while there is 70% off. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 6:37pm
I liked Soul Suspect a lot as well, especially the exploration and investigative parts. I also enjoyed the ending and thought the big plot twist was pretty interesting. Even the actual stealth I was surprisingly good at and had a lot of fun with. My only complaint about it was that the QTE's to kill off demons were really awkward and I could never get them down properly, so there would be many times where I'd be nailing the stealth, getting behind an enemy with nothing else in sight, only to get screwed over because I messed up the QTE. Aside from that, though, I thought it was a very fun and very underrated game.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 3:24am
Yeah that was my only issue with it. It was easier once I switched to my controller instead of keyboard and mouse (where it was really quite awkward on the finger positions), but I found that it didn't really give you much time to react to what your button press was that time before the demon broke free. Sometimes as well it seemed a really long time before I was able to escape the demons again once alerted. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 2:52pm
Well I finished Life is Strange. Loved the game and will do another run sooner rather than later but man did my ending make me feel like a complete bastard. Got to give it credit though, I never saw the big reveal about the villain coming. 

I also finished The Evil Within. Despite a few gripes I do recommend this as a horror shooter. Going to do the DLC soon. 

Some of my other Steam sale purchases have been a disaster though. I've had two of them refunded and have just submitted a request on a third. 

Firstly there was Nether, which ran fucking atrociously despite my rig being more than good enough. I knew that the game had a mixed rep, so went in with a grain a salt, but the bad performance put me off playing it. 

Next there was Ether One which had a promising start but after the intro sequence dumped me into a relatively small area leaving little clue about what I was meant to actually be doing. I wandered around for about 15 minutes and found only dead ends and one note which didn't seem to be all that important. 

The most recent one has been the worst experience though because it had multiple issues. Consortium. Now this one when it was working looked to have quite a bit of potential. By current standards the graphics were pretty bad, but I can overlook that was a decent game. I played this one for nearly an hour in the end, but the issues kept adding up. Firstly it crashed on loading a couple of times (which the dev blames on the engine but other games that use don't crash like that). Then there was this weird blurring effect on the graphics which is there by design as part of the plot, only it got stuck on early on in my attempts to like this game, forcing a complete shut-down and reload to get rid of it again. The last straw was hitting a game breaking bug in an early main mission (the combat training mission for that matter), in that the objective didn't update properly as I looted a weapon and it's ammo from a downed enemy instead of the one that spawned for me to take. 

This is what the game got stuck looking like though:

I don't know how many refunds you can submit before Steam starts getting funny about them, but I'm starting to get concerned as this will be my third request this week. 

Edited by adg211288 - 03 Jan 2016 at 2:58pm
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 11:15am
I recently beat the game Undertale. I couldn't decide for a bit if I really wanted the game or not(mostly because of the hype train....that's had a habit of putting games off for me, as juvenile as it is). However I recently decided to bite the bullet and just get it! GLAAAADDDD I DIIID!!!! Very strong story, charming characters, was very hard not to tear up in places. Anyone who's into a good emotional story and whatnot should get this! WORTH EVERY DAMN PENNY!!Thumbs Up

Edited by Psydye - 06 Jan 2016 at 11:16am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

I recently beat the game Undertale. I couldn't decide for a bit if I really wanted the game or not(mostly because of the hype train....that's had a habit of putting games off for me, as juvenile as it is). However I recently decided to bite the bullet and just get it! GLAAAADDDD I DIIID!!!! Very strong story, charming characters, was very hard not to tear up in places. Anyone who's into a good emotional story and whatnot should get this! WORTH EVERY DAMN PENNY!!Thumbs Up

I have that same habit, when a game is over-hyped it makes me feel less inclined to play the game.

Recently I've been switching between playing Just Cause and Warframe on PC, then ATV: Offroad Fury 4 and Okami on PS2. I don't get the mixed reviews for Just Cause, it's dumb, but it's fun. Plays like a cheesy old action movie in game form.

The first ATV: Offroad Fury game is one of my favorite racing games, but playing through the 2nd and 3rd games made me wonder why they could not achieve the same great racing as the first. However, the 4th one is easily at least almost as good as the first. It feels like what the 3rd game should have been, as unlike the 3rd, you're not stuck to hill-abundant arenas instead getting the nice landscapes back. Also adding in bike and dune buggy racing was great, the biking is in fact my favorite part of the game. The only thing I'm not liking is that the soundtrack is really bad, the only good songs being Lamb of God's "Redneck" and Audioslave's "Original Fire".

Okami's been fun so far, has a unique art style and it's also very story-driven. There are some really obnoxious characters, such as Issnn or whatever that bug thing's name is, but still an enjoyable game.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 12:19pm
I just played through Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons today. I wasn't sure about getting this one as some posts on Steam implied it was a kid'a game, but the low price during the sale and overwhelming positive review average swayed me. I liked the game a lot. I wouldn't say it's a kid's game unless standards have really changed since I was a kid as it's quite dark in places (there's an attempted suicide in one section for example and another section has rivers of blood flowing from the wounds of dead giants, one of which you have to shoot in the head with a giant crossbow to propel it out of the path forward), though it's not the most strictly mature game either. 

The control system is different since you have to control two characters at the same time, one which each stick on the controller which did get disorientating at times, but overall it's a fairly easy game to complete. There's no actual dialogue as the characters speak a fictional language with no subtitles, with the plot conveyed by what's happening on the screen. 

This was definitely one of the better indie titles I've purchased. Though as much as I loved it, I wouldn't recommend buying at full price because it really is very, very short. I will play again to get missed achievements, but otherwise I'm not sold on the replay value. But if it goes to the 90% off price again, get it!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/225080/
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:25pm
Well the next Steam sale purchase disaster has been found in Magnetic: Closed Cage. This one had me rage quitting in the first 20 minutes due to some really touchy controls and the game's design so that a single mistake on a puzzle means that you have to completely start over from scratch. Got stuck on about the fifth room I think it was, trying to solve this really awkward jumping puzzle where you can to propel yourself about using a magnetic gun. Between either falling way too short, or flying right over the platforms or just plain getting zapped by the big electric thing in the center of the path. Not fun at all.

Gems like Brothers A Tale of Two Sons do restore my faith in indie games, but ones like this make me want to not touch indie stuff with a barge pole. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 4:48am
^Sounds like you've been having some amazing luck with steam sale games lately, lol! I find I've been playing way more indie games over the last couple years, in large part because most modern AAA games are either multiplayer focused or open world and while I like the latter, I need to take a break from them once in a while, so I don't just get overwhelmed with too much to do in every single game I play, so indie games can provide a nice change of pace.

Speaking of which, I got my first 2016 game already this week, called Cally's Caves 3. It's a fun 2D side scroller where you get many different gun types and a sword and you level the guns up by getting exp each time you hit an enemy, so that's pretty cool. It also has a decent amount of exploration in each level, though the game is linear overall.

It has its flaws, like a lack of enemy variety, some hit detection issues (I find the laser randomly goes through enemies instead of hitting them for no reason) and it's probably too easy for that kind of game, considering I rarely died and I suck at that kind of game, but overall I had a lot of fun with it, and easily got more than $6 worth on my first playthrough, with plans to check out New Game + to see some of the changes.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 5:56am
There are plenty of indie gems out there such as Brothers A Tale of Two Sons, Terraria, Limbo and The Long Dark (this one is even still in early access and it's already fantastic), but for every gem there's probably three that are pretty poor for one reason or another (bugs, feeling more like a demo, or just plain bad, etc).

I guess most if not all RPGMaker games count as indie too, and I have enjoyed what I've done of the Millenium series so far, though my interest in it dried up part way into the third part and I haven't finished it yet. Skyborn was awesome though. 

Currently the game I'm playing the most of is Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning, which so far has been an enjoyable, although not exactly original, RPG experience. I've had my eye on the title for quite a while but never bought it. Took a punt on the complete edition on Steam during the sale and haven't regretted it yet. 

Just found out yesterday that The Long Dark had a content update that I missed recently, which included a new region to explore, so I've had that on a bit again as well. 

I do keep going back to The Evil Within as well. I've done the main campaign and have started the first DLC, but I'm struggling with this one. The gameplay is changed to the can't defend yourself style of survival horror in this, so playing is pretty much a matter of trial and error figuring out how to navigate past each enemy.
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 12:07pm
I still need to pick up The Long Dark. It's sounded interesting for a while.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 12:13pm
It's addictive for certain. I've clocked almost another 20 hours in just the last few days. 

There's going to be an episodic story mode coming soon to it as well soon, in addition to the survival mode sandbox experience. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 12:20pm
What exactly do you actually have to do in The Long Dark? I've seen bits and pieces about it, usually praising it, but never looked into much detail. I know it's survival game but not much else.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 12:33pm
It depends on the difficultly in some respects but even playing on the easy mode you have to deal with finding shelter (The Long Dark is a cold and unforgiving place), food, water, keeping healthy and otherwise manages supplies (clothes, tools, firewood etc). On higher difficulties you also have hostile wildlife to contend with. Wolves are the biggest threat. Bears typically aren't hostile unless you mess with them first (I got overconfident once and took a pot shot at a bear and it mauled me near to death, ripping all my clothing to shreds and inflicting massive injuries and damage. I survived but only just - the bear didn't). It's up to you how you play, but I find that part of the fun is in exploring the world (there are five main regions now). You can also keep an in-game journal of your time in the game, or just use it to note the location of precious supplies that you couldn't take at that point. 

Oh and it uses permadeath, just to reinforce that its all about survival. When a run is over, it's over.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 4:57am
Started Echoes of Aetheria, an RPG Maker game and the latest from the developer of Skyborn. I had a bit of a rough start, as I tried playing on hard first chance I got but wasn't prepared for an early boss and took over an hour to get it. After restarting and setting my party up better, I went back to hard, smoked that boss in one go and have been cruising along since. It feels similar to Skyborn in most ways, though its battle system has potential to be better as it goes along. Otherwise, it has all the positive qualities as Skyborn so far and it definitely seems far above most other RPG Maker games, once again.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 5:27am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Started Echoes of Aetheria, an RPG Maker game and the latest from the developer of Skyborn. I had a bit of a rough start, as I tried playing on hard first chance I got but wasn't prepared for an early boss and took over an hour to get it. After restarting and setting my party up better, I went back to hard, smoked that boss in one go and have been cruising along since. It feels similar to Skyborn in most ways, though its battle system has potential to be better as it goes along. Otherwise, it has all the positive qualities as Skyborn so far and it definitely seems far above most other RPG Maker games, once again.

Nice. I didn't know they had a new game coming. I expect I'll pick this one up at some point.  
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 1:53am
So I've recently gone back to The Witcher 3 having made a new import save with the Witcher 2 to see how things change only to find that since I last completed Wild Hunt a patch has absolutely butchered the game:

Frame rate is now stuttering in places it never did before (previously only the FPS intense Novigrad did this and even then it was actually getting better per patch). 

It never stops raining in the game now, even if you go underground it's still pouring down in patches everywhere. 

During one of the horse races near Crows Perch I got accused of cheating after winning the race fair and square (the guy said I left the track which was a downright lie, in any case in the final race with Astrid she always seems to cut the corner without being considered a cheat).

I don't think even Bethesda has fucked up a game this bad with a patch. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 2:14am
^Lol! The sad thing is, as much I enjoyed the game on my playthrough and especially the Hearts of Stone DLC, I do find it pretty ridiculous how much Bethesda and other companies have been getting criticized for bugs and performance issues while this game is being widely praised as GOTY everywhere and everyone seems to be giving it a free pass, when I actually found it to be way bugger than anything I've played since probably New Vegas (not even by Bethesda, obviously) and Fallout 4 was actually more stable than I expected, considering I played on PS4 and only had a few very minor issues outside of one  crash. Like, Fallout 4 at launch ran wayyyyyy better for me than The Witcher 3 did the last I played it, which was right after Hearts of Stone came out. My opinion on the game has actually taken a hit entirely due to all the praise it gets, even though as I said, I had a great time with it. I find its fanbase to be extremely insufferable, though, kinda like how I actually got soured a bit on Undertale due to how insane its fanbase is (people apparently sent whispers to my brother on twitch calling him an idiot because he dared to make a couple criticisms against a game he liked..... Ugh!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 94>
  Share Topic