Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Yeah, still playing The Long Dark on and off. My run is up to I think 42 days now. It nearly came to an end this week though because I got over confident and decided to pick a fight with a bear. I'd already killed one bear last week without a problem. Shot it and it started running. I cursed that it had got away but then saw the blood trail, so I tracked and eventually found it and finished it. 

The second time though went a bit different. Shot the bear again, but this time instead of running away this one charged me and started to maul. For some reason it didn't kill me. My character struggled up, health down from 100% to 8% after the attack. My clothing was ripped to shreds and its freezing cold. I'm bleeding and getting warnings about risk of infection. My character mutters resignedly 'think this might be the end'. I hobble into a nearby fishing hut, thankful I am carrying medical supplies to clean the wounds and stop the bleeding. Once that's down I make a fire and huddle up in my bedroll as a blizzard has rolled in and my clothing is no longer up to scratch. I'm also a whole region away from my base where all my repair supplies are. 

I have to stay there the night because of the weather. Come morning I've healed a bit. The weather has cleared but it's still below freezing. I decide to make a run for it back to base. As I leave my meager shelter I noticed this dark lump in the distance. It's the bear that nearly killed me. It's dead. Somehow I emerged the victor in our struggle. I take it's pelt for crafting then leg it back to base. 

Haven't gone far from my base after this incident. It really quite rattled me. I highly recommend the game if you're interested in it. I took a chance on it since it was Early Access but I don't regret it one bit (unlike DreadOut for example, which I paid much less for). 

I will probably get it next time it's on sale.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 2:11am
I'm back playing Borderlands The Pre Sequel now. I don't think that overall the game is as good as Borderlands 2 but I think it does some things better. Though I ended up rage quitting last night over the mission Lab 19. It's obvious they didn't design that mission with a solo player in mind. There's just not enough to wait for the code to change, run across the level to where you've got to input it and then shoot the dials into the correct position before it changes again. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 2:37am
^Yeah, I remember that quest being an absolute pain in the ass. Wasted at least an hour on it, I think, but I did eventually get it. I liked the game a lot overall, though I'm disappointed that most of the DLC has been minor stuff, and they only did one actual plot DLC, which I plan on trying soon.
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 12:01pm
I don't like Borderlands. The setting and premise is cool but I find the gameplay to hold the series back and I think the main reason is what has just be touched on: none of it is really designed for a single player to have an easy time of. It's squad based FPS; you need at least one other player to watch your back all the fucking time because of the insane amount of enemies even when only one player is playing. You're always surrounded (making cover pretty useless) and it always seems that just when you're about to clear an area and get a breather, more arseholes spawn. A lot of guns seem to reload painfully slow too.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 12:14pm
I don't remember ever needing teammates in Borderlands 2, depends how you play I guess.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 12:41pm
I've completed both the original and Borderlands 2 solo, including all story DLC's. I do tend to get killed in this series a lot more than other games though, and end up in fight for your life mode probably three times as much. I don't recall ever feeling seriously overwhelmed in the first two games, but I must admit I am finding that happening a bit in the Pre-Sequel at the moment. Fire damage seems insanely powerful in the Pre-Sequel that it seems a guaranteed Fight for Your Life situation unless you can get into a vacuum, which is impossible in certain areas that have a permanent atmosphere. I also am not finding my Action Skill (playing as Athena) to be of much use. I'm actually thinking of going to Concordia and paying for a re-spec to see if a different side of the skill tree makes a difference. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 4:17pm
Oddly  enough, I think I actually had an easier time doing the Pre-Sequel solo than I did the first two. The second game especially had points where it seemed I'd die, respawn, kill maybe 3-5 enemies, than die once again, and it would keep repeating itself over and over, where aside from one annoying mission, I usually tended to live much longer in the Pre-Sequel. I used Claptrap, though, and his action skill was both hilarious, and generally quite useful, though you have to be constantly alert when using it, just because you never know what will come up each time you use it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 2:50am
I was thinking that at first with the Pre-Sequel but now I'm in the level 20 - 25 range things seem to have changed. I'm not finding drastically better gear and ended up buying an SMG from Marcus (which ate up almost all of my money), which has improved things a bit. 

I guess I'm near the end of the main quest now as I just shut down the laser and got betrayed by a certain trio of familiar characters. I actually beat the boss of that last mission I did pretty easily; first stage in one try and second stage in two, though I only needed two because while trying to dodge attacks I accidentally walked backwards off the platform and fell off into space. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 6:19pm
I completed the main quest of Borderlands the Pre-Sequel this evening.

That final boss really takes the piss though.

Depletes the shield.
Boss becomes invincible and gets 100% shields back.
Repeat.
And then repeat again.
Boss finally stops recharging to 100% shields when they reach 0.
Boss 'dies'.
Loot!
Sudden second form appears while looting.
Depletes both shield and health.
Boss regenerates the lot.
Repeat.
And repeat again.
Boss finally dies for good.

This was not a good boss fight IMO. It wasn't exactly overly challenging (did both forms with no deaths and only a few second wind's needed), just time consuming and ultimately too much of a pain in the arse. The fun was sucked right out of it come the end. It took so long my hands were cramped up by the time it was over. I am used to regenerating and multi-phase enemies in this series, but I think this one finally took it too far and my opinion of the game overall has suffered for it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 3:24pm
Playing through the Claptrap DLC for Borderlands the Pre-Sequel now. Been a lot of fun so far however for the first time in this series I'm hitting bugs, frame rate lag (didn't happen anywhere in the base game) and I currently have an active side mission which is proving impossible to complete. I'm above the recommended level, so shouldn't a problem, but this enemy, a thresher, is proving impossible to kill because of it's powerful shield, which fully regenerates every time it goes back underground, and sometimes it doesn't stay up for more than a couple of seconds before burrowing again. Going to leave it and try again after beating the DLC's main quest, but right now it's yet another ridiculous enemy. 
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 3:48pm
I have not been playing too much lately, mostly indie titles for relax (Dustforce - a precicion platformer about sweeping up leaves, dust and all kinds of filth; FTL - I got my win on normal difficulty a couple of weeks ago)

BUT, I've been learning Swedish like a madman most of the time, on duolingo (check this out). Awesome site, and it's a little bit like a game - you get XP points for acquiring and practicing your language skills, earn lingots etc.

Swedish is awesome and in many ways it's much more similar to Polish than English. I mean English is completely different from Polish. Sweden invaded Poland a few centuries ago and it shows ;d
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 5:41pm

Playing through the Claptrap DLC for Borderlands the Pre-Sequel now. Been a lot of fun so far however for the first time in this series I'm hitting bugs, frame rate lag (didn't happen anywhere in the base game) and I currently have an active side mission which is proving impossible to complete. I'm above the recommended level, so shouldn't a problem, but this enemy, a thresher, is proving impossible to kill because of it's powerful shield, which fully regenerates every time it goes back underground, and sometimes it doesn't stay up for more than a couple of seconds before burrowing again. Going to leave it and try again after beating the DLC's main quest, but right now it's yet another ridiculous enemy. 

Okay, if The Pre-Sequel is anything to go by I think I might just be done with this series. I'm come to the conclusion that the devs now have nothing better to do than to troll players, create stupidly over-powered enemies (not just bosses). They've pulled the exact same stunt at the end of the Claptrap DLC as with the main game's final boss (sudden second form) and to make matters worse they even let you go to turn in the supposed final mission before springing it on you and well, I cannot make a fucking dent on it. Just died for probably the tenth time and am not only close to rage quitting but uninstalling the whole damn series (and I fucking love Borderlands 2, so that's how much the Pre-Sequel is now pissing me off). 

The final Claptrap boss is capable of very nearly one shot killing me, the fight area floor sets fire to you (fire is ridiculously overpowered, like a single hit is a death sentence, especially if from a laser weapon) and like any enemy in Borderlands it gets full health back every time you die.  The first fight was enough and even that pushed on too long to be fun. 
GG2U

vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:44pm
I just bought killzone 3 off Amazon
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 12:17am

Okay, if The Pre-Sequel is anything to go by I think I might just be done with this series. I'm come to the conclusion that the devs now have nothing better to do than to troll players, create stupidly over-powered enemies (not just bosses). They've pulled the exact same stunt at the end of the Claptrap DLC as with the main game's final boss (sudden second form) and to make matters worse they even let you go to turn in the supposed final mission before springing it on you and well, I cannot make a fucking dent on it. Just died for probably the tenth time and am not only close to rage quitting but uninstalling the whole damn series (and I fucking love Borderlands 2, so that's how much the Pre-Sequel is now pissing me off). 

The final Claptrap boss is capable of very nearly one shot killing me, the fight area floor sets fire to you (fire is ridiculously overpowered, like a single hit is a death sentence, especially if from a laser weapon) and like any enemy in Borderlands it gets full health back every time you die.  The first fight was enough and even that pushed on too long to be fun. 

That sounds brutal. I'm actually nervous about trying the Claptrap DLC now, because that isn't the first I've heard about the last boss of it being insanely hard (one review I read said something like "try soloing at your own risk", so it sounds like I may have a rough time with it. Which sucks, because now that I don't have any planned PS4 purchases for at least a whole month, I hooked my 360 up again specifically to play that, as well as all y Devil May Cry games. At least the latter part of my plan has worked out so far, but I'm really not so sure about that DLC now, though I have to try it, I guess, since I did already buy it.

One thing you said, I disagree with though: Don't give up on the series just because you didn't like The Pre-Sequel. That game wasn't by the same developer as the first two, who are currently working on some new multiplayer game called Battleborn. I think they'll be back to work on a proper Borderlands sequel sometime after that, so the next one should turn out fine (though I like The Pre-Sequel a lot, anyway.)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 4:40am
I was just pretty pissed off last night and venting, don't worry. I know the game was made by a different team, though the publisher is the same and they must have ultimately sanctioned these fights. 

I looked it up and apparently most players have trouble with this boss. It's level is I think 37 but some players said they couldn't beat it even at 50 or above. Some sources say it has more health and shields than the base game's raid boss. 

I ended up getting so pissed at it last night I ended up loading my hacked profile than I use to make raid bosses killable by a solo player and even then it killed me pretty easy. I eventually got it, but only after a lot of frustration. 

Of course killing it leads to its third form. Angry A replica of Helios station that requires long range weapons to hit and recharges its shields to 100% if you manage to do a chunk of damage to it. Manged it with the hacked profile, but only just.

I always hack Borderlands (well this one and 2, don't know that it can be done on the original) to solo raid bosses as I despise the concept of content being effectively sealed off from solo players (I hate relying on other players to complete games) but this boss was stupid. It's as if they don't want players to actually be able to complete their game. The DLC was mostly good up until that point but IMO they did everything they could to ruin it at the end. 

The end cutscene sets up the start of Borderlands 2 though, but if anything that makes the situation with the final boss even worse since most players probably won't get to see it unless they do what I did a hack the game to balance the fight. 
GG2U

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:35am
And therein lies yet more reasons why I don't like Borderlands.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:38am
Also, a mate of mine told me this morning that the Witcher 3 was patched to 1.07 yesterday and that it broke more than it fixed. Think I'll wait to pick it up when the price has gone down somewhat. Maybe it'll have stabilised by them.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:57am
The game has been perfectly playable since day 1. Most of the things they fix in the patches have been things I haven't personally encountered, and a lot of changes have been improvements rather than fixes, such as in 1.07 the inventory got an upgrade so books have their own tab, you can tell what you've read and what you haven't and you can pin crafting diagrams so you can see what items merchants sell that you're looking for without having to flit between tabs all the time. So far it also looks like 1.07 has actually fixed the NPC pop-in. 

I have read on the Steam forums that 1.07 broke Steam achievements though I can't confirm that, as I already have them all. Broke more than it fixed is probably an exaggeration though. 

Mind you Geralt still puts away his swords of his own accord, even right in the middle of a fight when I was having a look after downloading the patch yesterday. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 1:56pm
I haven't tested the patch yet on PS4, but I saw a video from a group that does framerate tests for new releases, and now it looks like both console versions have even lower frame rates with this patch in place than they did previously. The PS4 version was falling down to 19 FPS in the swamp area, lol! That's absolutely unacceptable. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 2:51pm
Yeah to be honest it does seem noticeably worse for me even on my PC, in Novigrad at least (which has always been the most frame rate intensive area). 

I spent some time trying out the alternative movement response setting today and well, I honestly don't notice a single difference. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 94>
  Share Topic