Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 4:00pm
I was using NMC's texture pack but I took it off again. Had to let a few mods go when I merged New Vegas with Fallout 3. I think it can be added again so long as installed properly with Fallout 3's version, but I never bothered. Graphics are no doubt dated by now, but I'm fine with how they look and it does help the overall performance to not use texture packs. New Vegas I have to warn you isn't the most stable game, especially once you get a few mods on it (so make use of that quick save key when you play!). 

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43135/?

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 7:59am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

One final purchase this sale for me: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. 

Played and completed this one 100% somewhere between the 3 - 4 hour marks. 

Over hyped IMO. Far too short and the plot isn't the most engaging, mostly due to the way it's presented. The game looks beautiful and I can see me putting it back on just to look around a bit more but invisible walls limit exploration to pre-defined routes. Should have waited for a -75%, maybe even a base price drop first. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 1:23pm
That's always unfortunate.  Talos Principle took me 15 hours to 100% (all endings, not all achievements) which is a decent length for what it cost.   Seems most games these days are very short though, unless they are open world
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 2:02pm
I've no problem with short games so long as they're worth the money. Have a good plot and replay value and no problem. My problem with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is that it seems that most of the time it would have taken to make went into graphics rather than gameplay and plot. It's style is effective once you learn what is actually happening, I'll say that much in its defense, but several of it's puzzles need to be solved with exactly the same method so once you figure one out it doesn't take much to do the rest. Other puzzles are more unique but range from being so easy that they don't even deserve to be called a puzzle (one I just wandered into when I wasn't sure where to go next and 'solved' it just by carrying on walking) to annoying, such as the one place where you suddenly have to deal with a hostile enemy, the only one in the whole game, who can kill you if you even look at him for too long (just warps straight into your face). Actually that one wasn't so hard once I learned how to know when the enemy was coming, but the game's reliance on autosave forces you to restart any uncompleted puzzle as far as I could tell. That was at least the case with the secret puzzle/achievement, which actually bugged out on me right at the end. Reloaded my last save and had to backtrack right to the start and do the first couple of steps again. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 3:10pm
Well, yeah.  As long as they are worth the money.  When I pay <$5 for some 200MB indie game, I don't have a problem with finishing it in 2-4 hours, especially if it's well put together and has a good story.  When I pay $60 for a brand new AAA game, it had damn well better not be over in 8 hours, especially since the story and game mechanics are bound to be generic.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 12:47am
Playing through Assassins Creed, really enjoying it so far. Haven't played a whole lot, but the combat is incredibly satisfying and the story is pretty engaging. The combination of stealth and open-world exploring works very well also.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 3:44am
Tried some of the Alien: isolation DLC I got in the sale last night.

Last Survivor proved pretty easy though I did hit a bug where a door right near the end just would not open properly and I couldn't get through it even by crouching.

Crew Expendable was also pretty standard up until a point when it became impossible for me to complete and I ended up rage quitting. There was this section where you have to lead the Alien through a vent system in the complete dark. Couldn't get past more than a corner or two without it catching me due to its much faster speed, the inability to see it coming and even torching it with the flamethrower did not work in there. The base game has some pretty challenging sections to avoid it through but nothing like that. 

Other than that I've played a fair bit of The Long Dark both last night and this morning. Don't regret waiting for a bigger sale on this one. I'm currently lost though and trying desperately to find my way back to where I set up base: last night I explore this old dam and found an alternate exit. I kept following the new path and eventually found a cave which led me to a whole new map. Unfortunately there is no in game map and I later got turned around in bad weather so I don't have a clue where I am now. Currently following a road and hoping for the best. 

It's a great game because it's like you make up the story in your own head as you play. Apparently there will be a proper story mode one day but it's really good as it is already just with sandbox mode. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:24am
Took my first look at Call of Juarez Gunslinger today and so far it seems great. I like the narrative style, but duels seem quite clunky to pull off.
GG2U

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Playing through Assassins Creed, really enjoying it so far. Haven't played a whole lot, but the combat is incredibly satisfying and the story is pretty engaging. The combination of stealth and open-world exploring works very well also.
Assassin's Creed is a franchise that got way better as games went on then after Revelations it got steadily worse.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:26pm
I have the first AC game but could never get into it. Played a few hours then quit and never went back. I did reinstall it when I loaded my Steam library onto an external hard drive, but still haven't given it another look. 
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 4:34pm

Took my first look at Call of Juarez Gunslinger today and so far it seems great. I like the narrative style, but duels seem quite clunky to pull off.

I think the duel system is actually pretty good even though I really didn't like it that much at first. The learning curve is quite steep but once you get the hang of it, it's great and more responsive than it seems. 

Still, the story and its feel is what makes this game stand out. Glad you like it so far Smile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 4:37pm

I have the first AC game but could never get into it. Played a few hours then quit and never went back. I did reinstall it when I loaded my Steam library onto an external hard drive, but still haven't given it another look. 

I have AC 1 for PC and Xbox, honestly I've always enjoyed the Xbox versions, usually more than the PC versions.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I have AC 1 for PC and Xbox, honestly I've always enjoyed the Xbox versions, usually more than the PC versions.

Yeah, one thing I have noticed is that it seems like it would be much easier to get used to on a console.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 6:20pm
It all depends on if you're more comfortable with a controller as opposed to a keyboard. I'm equally skilled with both, but with FPSs it's easier on console.

Edited by aglasshouse - 25 Jun 2015 at 6:20pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 10:23pm
Nothing stopping you from plugging a controller into a PC... I use a gamecube controller + adapter for mine
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Nothing stopping you from plugging a controller into a PC... I use a gamecube controller + adapter for mine

Yeah, I should probably find a cheap Xbox controller that I can use. I only have SNES and PS2 controllers. Would it be cheaper to get an adapter so I could use a PS2 controller?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 10:46pm
Depends if anybody makes a good one, really.  Things like that can be hit-and-miss.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 2:23am
I have an Xbox 360 controller for Windows. I use it for several games where keyboard & mouse either just feels completely clunky (Remember Me always seemed terrible using K&M while Alien: Isolation is doable but uncomfortable after a while) or I find I simply prefer the controller (Witcher 2 & 3, Dishonored for example). There are probably more games where the controller is the clunky one though, nearly always FPS (I found Bioshock Infinite unplayable with a controller). 
GG2U

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 6:58am
Dishonored and most stealth games I've found work better on K&M for me. It gives me more exact movements when necessary.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 11:44am
Any FPS or RTS game, a mouse is unparalleled IMO.  Controllers are nice for platformers, isometric games, etc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 94>
  Share Topic