Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:38am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Question for the Skyrim players, is the environment in the game a lot less bland than in Oblivion?  I might pick up the game after the semester ends and go frolicking about as a female wood elf archer or male Ork Warrior if I can't do jack shit with a fragile unit like an elf and feel like going around with a large weapon going "WAAAGH!  DIS GAME NEEDZ MORE DAKKA!!"

Get it for PC-

Not happenin'.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 8:40am
Fine, but all the bugs will be unfixable without 3rd party support
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:51pm
I've heard people talk about bugs all the time in Skyrim, but I only encountered one minor glitch in the roughly 30 hours I spent with a character. Maybe I haven't played enough or maybe they've all been patched, but I really don't think that it's unplayable on consoles.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 5:38pm
Well it's been patched several times now, but bugs still abound. The official DLC just added more bugs. You can see just how much has been done since the game first shipped here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Patch

Even with the amount of bugs in the game, you'd be very unlucky to hit that many in one playthrough, bugs don't tend to always occur every time. My first character was completely cut off from the Companions questline however, so I'd call that pretty major. I don't recall seeing a fix for the issue I had yet either. That Radiant system has got a lot of holes in it still. Rule number 2 when it comes to TES games: save, save and save, and don't overwrite your old save straight away, you never know when a bug is going to cripple something for you.

That's rule number 2. Rule number 1 for the record is never buy the game for anything but the PC. Not only do you get unofficial patches which will fix the game up even more after Bethesda give up (which they will), but you get access to the huge modding community which will allow you to extend your game indefinitely, with content which is sometimes better than what the game had to begin with, especially in Oblivion's case. I can't play that game without installing all the Unique Landscapes mods, the vanilla terrain is just too bland. PC also allows you to use the ingame console which can fix glitches on the fly. Ever had to reload because you got stuck in the terrain? Not on PC, just type in a code and off you go again. But the main reason is the mods. Skyrim is a much better game unmodded than Oblivion was, and about equal to Morrowind, but unless you really can't afford the PC rig to run the game I'm not sure why anyone would knowingly alienate themselves from these features. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

...but unless you really can't afford the PC rig to run the game I'm not sure why anyone would knowingly alienate themselves from these features. 

I'd much rather play with a controller on a console using a TV. In the case of Skyrim, the game is large enough to keep me occupied for weeks and weeks with the official content alone - I don't have a huge amount of time to dedicate to gaming as it is, and I doubt I would even bother with user-created content if it were available to me.

I like being able to pop a game into a system, sit back on the couch, and enjoy playing it on a huge HDTV (while also communicating with friends of mine through Xbox Live). Some players like PC gaming (which is fine), but it's generally not for me apart from emulators that I use from time to time.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

...but unless you really can't afford the PC rig to run the game I'm not sure why anyone would knowingly alienate themselves from these features. 

I'd much rather play with a controller on a console using a TV. In the case of Skyrim, the game is large enough to keep me occupied for weeks and weeks with the official content alone - I don't have a huge amount of time to dedicate to gaming as it is, and I doubt I would even bother with user-created content if it were available to me.

I like being able to pop a game into a system, sit back on the couch, and enjoy playing it on a huge HDTV (while also communicating with friends of mine through Xbox Live). Some players like PC gaming (which is fine), but it's generally not for me apart from emulators that I use from time to time.

I got no time to be getting a gaming PC for myself so I can move away from the home shared computer.  I got 40k minitures to buy and build!

I too am a lot more at home with a controller in hand even though there are peripherals like that that are computer compatible.  I'm more in a single player mood for my console gaming as of late since my Ethernet wire seems to be messed up somehow and giving me gigantic amounts of lag and disconnects at random moments.  And this is where Skyrim and such is coming in.  Yahtzee shares my opinions for Oblivion almost word for word, so hopefully that means I'll like Skyrim more since he seems to think it's a massive improvement.

Also, if a developer can't dispose of large amounts of bugs or make interesting terrain features without the help of unpaid modders, fuck 'em.  On the other hand, if they can turn an Ork into a Loota with a Deffgun that actually operates like a 40k Deffgun, then I'm sold.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 4:07am
You can play PC Skyrim with a controller. I have an Xbox for PC controller for some games and Skyrim supports it. That said, you don't get half as much control over your character with it as with a keyboard and mouse, so I would never use it with the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising console players for their choices, I just know I would feel like I was getting only half the potential out of a TES (or Fallout) game if I wasn't using a PC.

Of course I don't happen to own either a 360 or PS3 but that's beside the point. Even if I did I'd still get a TES game for PC, thought that even since I got Morrowind. Wonders have been done with Morrowind in the ten years since it came out. For example.

Default MW graphics, note the fog which eliminates the distance views.

Now for Morrowind with 3rd party graphics enhancements:

GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 8:44pm
Graphic Textures still looks like mush, but you could blame that on the technology at the time.  If fact, that really seems to be all I'm concerned for, preferring not to have to walk around a mundane looking environment and something that is actually more visually pleasing.  Also, no staring contests with ugly NPCs that all had the same voice or that stupid conversation pie bullshit.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 12:28am

Also, no staring contests with ugly NPCs that all had the same voice.

Don't get Skyrim then. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 1:45am
Skyrim NPC's are way better than Oblivion's though, plus the dialogue system doesn't freeze the world so many NPC's are still getting on with stuff when you're in dialogue. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 10:28am
And in other Skyrim news, it seems patch 1.8 introduced a never-fail crash to the quest Waking Nightmare so if you save after a certain point (its okay if you leave the temple, but autosave must be off I think), it always crashes/freezes. Nice one Bethesda. Censored Wasn't amused this morning playing that quest and saving at the end of it without leaving the temple. 
GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 7:37pm

If this is any indicator, it looks like a visually pleasing game.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 3:34pm
Found some t-shirts 2 for $15 today, and I couldn't resist this one:

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 3:01pm
Got a system for my sister for Christmas that plays both NES and SNES games.  You can also buy an attachement for it that allows you to play Sega Genesis titles.

With it, she'll get the following games:
Castlevania II: Simons Quest (NES)
Star Tropics (NES)
Spanky's Quest (SNES)
Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)

As a bonus, she'll get a copy of Predator for the NES that I couldn't get working.  If it doesn't work she can throw it away. LOL
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 9:05am
been playing this 

sure the first 2 were hard as hell on hard but some parts in this game r twice harder then 1 and 2 combined on hard, for example i was on a boss battle for like 4 or 5 hours over 2 days before i finally beat it
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 6:24pm
Ultimately, I did pick up Skyrim for the PS3 and have spent the better part of yesterday and today playing it.  Went ahead with my female wood elf archer/assassin and joined the Dark Brotherhood.  Love some of these instant take down animations.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 11:34am
After finishing the Dark Brotherhood questline, I've given Skyrim a break.  Now, I've downloaded Mass Effect for the PS3 finally.  Story is solid, but the gameplay is easily the weakest of the three games.  Cover is wonky.  Weapon proficiency system is broken; the engineer class has a sniper rifle but I can't zoom in and the reticle stretches out to the entire screen, wtf?  And fuck the Mako entirely.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 11:13pm

After finishing the Dark Brotherhood questline, I've given Skyrim a break.  Now, I've downloaded Mass Effect for the PS3 finally.  Story is solid, but the gameplay is easily the weakest of the three games.  Cover is wonky.  Weapon proficiency system is broken; the engineer class has a sniper rifle but I can't zoom in and the reticle stretches out to the entire screen, wtf?  And fuck the Mako entirely.

wtf

The first Mass Effect is the only one with real gameplay.  Ducking from cover to cover and pausing every time you throw powers is Call of Duty bullshit
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

wtf

The first Mass Effect is the only one with real gameplay.  Ducking from cover to cover and pausing every time you throw powers is Call of Duty bullshit

Hipster.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 2:06am
No, I just like actual interesting, challenging gameplay.  Mass Effect 2 and 3 had none of that whatsoever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 94>
  Share Topic