Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:42pm
Ass Creed II
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 2:26am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I'm completely hooked on Fallout: New Vegas at the moment. It feels a bit more like an expansion pack for Fallout 3 than an entirely new entry, but I'm still blown away - lack of innovation aside, I think this game is certainly up to par with its predecessor thus far.

I think the reason for that is that it uses the same engine and a lot of the graphics are re-used from F3. It isn't made by the same team, Bethesda just licensed Obsidian to make it using the GECK and F3 resources. In some ways it could be considered like Nehrim is for Oblivion, only you have to pay for it.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 9:41am
I have a big decision in New Vegas at the moment... should I side with Yes Man/Legion and kill Mr. House, or side with Mr. House and the NCR?

Right now both organizations seem corrupt and full of shit, but Mr. House seems less full of shit so I've started to side with him. I love games where decisions can really alter the outcome - without any spoilers, what did you guys do in this part of the main quest? Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 9:47am
I've done all four choices. Note that you can ALWAYS switch to Yes Man no matter what else you do, but you will reach points where the other factions will refuse your help. 

There is no right or wrong choice as such. Although the Legion choice is the clear evil character choice, there isn't a truly good choice in the game. They are as you say, corrupt as they come. 

GG2U

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 10:02am
Caesar struck me as a pretty evil fellow. The tons of enslaved people in Legion territory also rubbed me the wrong way. Dead
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 10:07am
Funnily enough he has neutral karma, but karma means nothing in New Vegas compared to F3. They may as well have removed it from the game. 

During my NCR playthrough I actually gathered all the companions and stormed his fort and took him out. But I played through his questline with another character just to 'finish' the game as such. Slight spoiler but siding with him is the only way you'll get a largely different main quest. Siding with him has the major downside of turning the whole of NCR hostile and cutting off a ton of side quests though.
GG2U

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

I found New Vegas to be extremely sub-par to Fallout 3. But with this being said it's still pretty good.

I liked it more than Fallout 3 because in 3 the sidequests had dick-all to do with each other.  Entire game felt like arbitrarily wandering around helping and/or slaughtering wussies.  That being said, New Vegas has nothing that compares to blowing up Megaton Cool

Thats the reason I like F3 more than New Vegas, more wandering and freedom. In New Vegas you can't just immediately go off and do what you want, because you get destroyed easily. I also hate how the map boundaries extend beyond what the game allows you to go which absolutely pisses me off.

I managed to do nearly every side quest in Oblivion before even giving the medallion to jaufrey (or however it's spelt). Same with F3. I actually ended up skipping the first half of the main mission because I wandered upon that city in the boat and talked that doctor. Completely bypassed the GNR part. I was trying NOT to do any mission.

I also absolutely fucking hate with a burning passion that in Fallout, when you beat the main mission the game goes, 'NOPE, FUCK YOU, start the goddamn game over from the beginning, even though there is still tons of shit to do, and stuff you will probably miss going through again, even though this is a rpg, we are still going to end the game, even though any good rpg like Oblivion or Morrwind didn't fucking end once you beat the main mission.' That defeats part of the fecking purpose of an rpg, there isn't supposed to be CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored ending.

Finishing the campaign the first playthrough in F3 really pissed me off, obviously.Tongue. Thankful Bethesda came to their senses and released that add-on that let you keep playing after you finish the main mission in F3.

Anyway now that I have gotten that all out. I beat Borderlands again (ANOTHER DAMN "RPG" THAT REALLY ISN'T AN RPG). But it's amazing playing with friends, and fair amount of freedom to screw around.

Edited by Sheavy - 17 Aug 2012 at 8:19pm
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 8:24pm
Any good rpg should also allow mods to be done also, which basically means the game truly is never ending. I've done so many addons in oblivion it's not even funny, still not done with all of them I want to try out.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 1:53am
There's a mod for New Vegas that teleports you back to the Lucky 38 after the main quest. I tried it out and it did what it said on the tin, however my game started experiencing lots of weird issues after that which I can't say were or were not the cause of the mod.

I read somewhere that the NV developers were considering playing after the main quest but abandoned it as too much work considering all the changes that would have to be made. It may seem a lazy excuse but given the time it takes to make a high quality game they probably had no choice otherwise they's miss their deadlines. The decision still sucks but there's nothing we can do about it now. I intend to pretty much ignore the main quest when I return to New Vegas after the confrontation with Benny in the Tops.

About Borderlands, I had a trial of that recently. Definitely picking it up sometime. It's not meant to be considered an RPG though, but an FPS that has some RPG elements. 
GG2U

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 2:48am
Well when I saw it advertised it was marketed as the the first true cross between an fps and rpg. Which wasn't really accurate.Unhappy
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 3:14am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

It may seem a lazy excuse but given the time it takes to make a high quality game they probably had no choice otherwise they's miss their deadlines.

Bethesda is better than EA and Activision. Better customer support.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Well when I saw it advertised it was marketed as the the first true cross between an fps and rpg. Which wasn't really accurate.Unhappy

Was it? The game somehow escaped my notice when it was first released. 

It seems a decent game regardless of genre.
GG2U

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 3:25pm
^yeah places like gamespot tote it as an rpg. http://www.gamespot.com/borderlands/
But you should definantly get it. It's a good game solo, but it is ten times more fun with friends, especially when fighting boss characters.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 8:12pm
I beat Fallout: New Vegas earlier today. I sided with Mr. House through the entire game, and I think I'm happy with the outcome. I really didn't like the Legion (or NCR for that matter), and I think putting Vegas in the hands of House probably wasn't a horrible thing.

That being said, some of the things he forced you to do were morally questionable. Especially blowing up the Brotherhood of Steel. Dead By the time Mr. House had asked me to perform that task, I'd already joined the Brotherhood and really taken a liking to some of their leaders. I felt like a douche while I was stealing the keycards to blow the place up, but I guess it was for the greater good. LOL

Anyway, this was an incredibly deep game, and I had a total blast. I think I slightly prefer Fallout 3, but both were undoubtedly excellent. Thumbs Up
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 9:00am
Also, I found this game for $10 and started playing it yesterday:

L.A. Noire (2011)

I'm really digging it so far. Thumbs Up The gameplay is really unique and different from anything I've ever played before, but it still maintains a really nice open-world feel that Rockstar is known far. The graphics are also some of the best I've seen. Overall, I'm very impressed after spending about two hours with the game.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 9:30am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I beat Fallout: New Vegas earlier today. I sided with Mr. House through the entire game, and I think I'm happy with the outcome. I really didn't like the Legion (or NCR for that matter), and I think putting Vegas in the hands of House probably wasn't a horrible thing.

That being said, some of the things he forced you to do were morally questionable. Especially blowing up the Brotherhood of Steel. Dead By the time Mr. House had asked me to perform that task, I'd already joined the Brotherhood and really taken a liking to some of their leaders. I felt like a douche while I was stealing the keycards to blow the place up, but I guess it was for the greater good. LOL

Anyway, this was an incredibly deep game, and I had a total blast. I think I slightly prefer Fallout 3, but both were undoubtedly excellent. Thumbs Up

House is probably the second most evil choice after the Legion to be honest. I obviously had to take the brotherhood out when I did both their faction quests, but next time I play a full game I won't side with either of them again. I like the brotherhood (that might come from playing F3 so much) and SPOILER they only have to die in two faction's quests. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 1:15pm
Saints Row III is my favourite Rockstar game

wait what
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Saints Row III is my favourite Rockstar gamewait what

I still need to get that, I'll wait for a steam sale or something though

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 5:47pm
Hooked up the NES and SNES for the first time on my 40" HD set.  I thought the picture would look more pixelated for some reason (I played a PS1 game on it a few weeks ago and it looked a bit off).  Well it looked fine.

My brother (who owns the SNES) played 2 games he picked up today: Starfox and Mario Kart

As I own the NES, I grabbed Dream Master:

I got it at a store in my area that I thought closed down.  Turns out it moved across the street. LOL

Decent prices, but they didn't have many classic titles and the store was a mess.  I was thinking of grabbing something for PS1 or Dreamcast, but they were all stacked messily and in a dark corner of the store.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 3:15pm
Had a Steam trial of Saints Row The Third this weekend. Not my usual sort of game but I got pretty hooked on it and will definitely be buying a copy sometime. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 94>
  Share Topic