Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:33pm
Made a list for my favorite video games: 

Hot Wheels: Velocity X is easy as shit now (Lego Rock Raiders to a lesser extent), but it's too nostalgic for me to not include.

Edited by Unitron - 03 May 2020 at 10:34pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:46am
Only 5. 

Seeing Lego Rock Raiders is making me super nostalgic. I sold my copy some time ago but sometimes wish I still had it for the memories. It was one of those things I either sold or gave to charity during my 'I've outgrown that' phase. These days I'm more of the time that even if something is technically aimed at kids I shouldn't just dismiss it. I replayed some of the Pokemon handhelds last year and I'd forgotten what excellent turn based RPG's they actually were. 

I have a few gaming List Challenges available myself:

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:35am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Only 5. 

Seeing Lego Rock Raiders is making me super nostalgic. I sold my copy some time ago but sometimes wish I still had it for the memories. It was one of those things I either sold or gave to charity during my 'I've outgrown that' phase. These days I'm more of the time that even if something is technically aimed at kids I shouldn't just dismiss it. I replayed some of the Pokemon handhelds last year and I'd forgotten what excellent turn based RPG's they actually were. 

I have a few gaming List Challenges available myself:

Yeah, despite being a kids game I still enjoy Rock Raiders every so often. It's still challenging later into the game. Definitely holds up better as an adult than all the other Lego games I played as a kid.

Only 1 on the 2019 list, 0 on the 20, and 2 on the favorites. Nice seeing The Third Age on there, I haven't played that in years. I should really pick it up sometime, only played it through the library probably a decade ago, remember it being really fun.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:37am
I also had Lego Racers and Lego Island 2 on the PS1, which still bring back good memories but I don't miss owning them the way I do Rock Raiders. That was actually a game I played at a mate's first and was one of the games that made me want to get a PS1 (which remains the only PlayStation console I've ever owned). 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:59am
I still have almost all of the original run of Lego games on PC (Pre-Lego Star Wars, when they started following the same base game for all future games) and also Lego Racers and Rock Raiders on the PS1. The Rock Raiders on my list is the PC version, which is a completely different game, a top-down strategy game that's kind of like Dungeon Keeper. I really like the PS1 version too though, only knock on that is that it only has password saves for some reason.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 1:06am
Well I never thought I'd see the day: EA games have begun returning to Steam. Shocked
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:29am
Ah, the Steam sale, or as I call it the six monthly Steam breakdown, has arrived.

To be fair they did a lot better on the reliability front I think last time around it was, but they're making up for it now with not being able to even log-in. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:32am
check out Deep Rock Galactic, excellent game
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 1:08pm
Anyone played Life is Strange 2? Any good? I enjoyed the first one/prequel but haven't been able to get excited for the second one. Not sure if it's because of the character/setting change or because the first was so good the second is probably going to pale in comparison. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:48am
Just finally picked up the final season of TellTale's The Walking Dead. I lost interest in New Frontier in big part to playing it later than everyone else and the final season buggering off to the hell's of Epic exclusivity, but it's since made a Steam reappearance.

And now I find that I lost my saves of the whole series in the great hard drive failure of last year, so I'm either going to have to restart New Frontier with pre-determined choices or play the whole series through again. Seriously, fuck games that don't make use of the Steam cloud. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 12:51pm
So, a TV show based on Fallout has been announced. With no details other than they're doing it. I'm not getting too excited because lord knows when they'll be able to film anything again. 

When they do this I hope they just do their own story and not try to adapt the games. The games are based too much on choice and I just know that if they tried to adapt Fallout 3 or 4 they wouldn't match my experience right from the character creation point (because we all know they'll inevitable canonise the protagonist as male, which Fallout 4 itself was pretty heavy handed with).
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 4:45am
Accidentally broke my 6 month old game controller last night. Ouch

Wouldn't think a short fall would fuck it up so easily.

And guess which brainbox thought accidental damage cover wasn't worth the money?
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 5:45am
Just finished playing Greedfall yesterday. Great fantasy RPG with a colonial theme. 

Forcing myself to keep games I've completed uninstalled so I actually play through my backlog, though there's a few that stay installed due to being a pain to reinstall (modded games mainly or ones that require tweaks to work properly). 

Undecided what to play next, but it will probably be between:

Life is Strange 2 (I played the free Captain Spirit short a little while back already after ignoring it for ages).

Man of Medan (I bought this in the sale before last after playing the demo but have never got around to playing the proper game).

The Wolf Among Us (I have actually started this, so I should go back to it before I forget the bits I've already done). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 3:54am
I've now played through the first episode of Life is Strange 2 and I found it much less compelling than the first season and I've found it slow going. Putting the player in control of the brother who doesn't have powers seems an odd choice for gameplay after being able to control time as Max in season 1. I expect I will start episode 2 sometime in the next week but so far I'm finding the sequel disappointing. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:24am
Just looked at the Cyberpunk 2077 requirements for PC and they look surprisingly reasonable for a 2020 game. The biggest concern for me is how heavily they're stressing the use of an SSD instead of an HDD, which I don't have and haven't been planning to have either. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:38am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I've now played through the first episode of Life is Strange 2 and I found it much less compelling than the first season and I've found it slow going. Putting the player in control of the brother who doesn't have powers seems an odd choice for gameplay after being able to control time as Max in season 1. I expect I will start episode 2 sometime in the next week but so far I'm finding the sequel disappointing. 

It's now been about a month since I even felt inclined to start up Life is Strange 2. I really should try to finish it, but this game has been a major letdown so far. They've since made episode 1 free and if it had been before I bought it I may not have even bothered. I just find the two main characters so uninteresting that I really couldn't give a damn if they make it at this point and I'm still annoyed by how for a game built up on choice they take what could have been a really meaningful choice away from the player in ep 2. The first game and prequel (which I've only played in full once) fill me with a lot of nostalgia for how good they were and I can keep thinking over theories to do with them even now - in fact I could happily reinstall the original and play it through again sooner than finish season 2. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:22pm
I watched a playthrough of episode 1, and it looked pretty bad, imo. It especially had one clearly blatant line about Donald Trump, where a white NPC said something along the lines of "Kids like you are the reason we need to build that great big wall", and I was just in disbelief at how unsubtle and on the nose that was. I mean, I have no problem with some political elements in games, and I do hate Trump, but that is just unbelievably blatant, LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:36pm
It really doesn't help that the younger brother has a real bad case of whiny little kid syndrome (A Plague Tale had the same problem but at least that game was fun up until the ending where it lost me due to abandoning all pretence of stealth and forcing combat) and it's obvious that they're expecting you to play the game like walking on eggshells to get a good ending. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 1:42pm
I just reinstalled the first Life is Strange and played through a few segments of the first episode of that, just to see if it really is the second game or if I'm just not in the right mood for this type of game right now...and I think it really is just that the second game isn't that interesting. The first one actually feels like fun to poke around the locations to see what details you can find (you can do that in 2, but you always have the little brother running around to keep an eye on) plus you actually, you know, have the special powers yourself in 1. To use a word Max would use, it's really lame that the second game is basically instead babysitting the one with powers instead of being able to use them yourself (the best you can do is tell the brother what to use them on and then a cutscene plays, which gets old really fast). I'm really confused why anyone at DONTNOD thought that was the right direction to go for gameplay.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 1:22pm
Finished episode 1 of the first game and yeah, it's definitely the second game just got working for me, not that I'm in the wrong mood to enjoy this kind of game right now. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 94>
  Share Topic