Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 6:34pm
Yeah, to suddenly announce an exclusive deal with a store, two and a half weeks away from release, after already having preorders going on another store for months, is absolute bullshit. My brother may get screwed over because of this, because he preordered it through Humble Store, hoping to get it on Steam, but he wants nothing to do with Epic, so if he can't still get a Steam key, he loses out on the game, which would be terrible, because if anything, he's the one who got me into the series, and he probably wanted the new game more than I did.

I can still get the game as planned, because I'm on PS4, but for PC players hoping to get it on Steam, that's absolute bullshit, and I certainly hope something goes out of control to kill practices like this before they become a massive trend, but I sadly don't see that happening. It almost certainly will cost the game sales, though, and it may even kill the series, if if tanks badly enough. I'd only blame Deep Silver, though, and not 4A Games, because it usually is completely up to the publisher to make that kind of decision, I think.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 1:36am
Epic Games sniping of Metro Exodus has now been called a declaration of war on Steam

While the one year loss of one major title probably isn't going to hurt Steam too much (although it isn't only one, Epic also managed to get The Division 2), it's worrying that if too many major studios do this that Steam suddenly won't have even half of the major titles released in the future and that will undoubtedly affect them. What happens if, absolute worse case scenario, Epic actually manages to succeed in killing Steam? What happens to everyone's games? I can't see them providing a copy of every single game in the Steam library to everyone for free. Before this, no one has been worried about the possibility of Steam dying. It would literally take the whole world ending. Now there's actually a chance, however small, that it could happen. I don't think it will, but this move from Epic does undeniably put the possibility on the table. 

I know I could actually lose a lot of the shit in my Steam library that I've picked up from bundles and not lose any sleep (I have almost 2500 titles registered to my Steam account - it's ridiculous. I know I'll never play even a quarter of the them in my lifetime), but even with that aside I have a major library of games I do play and like, a few of which were bought early for the bigger prices tags. I have 57 titles filed under my 'Always Installed' tag in my Steam library (including Metro Redux 2033 and Last Light) plus a good number of games that although I may not keep them installed permanently, are not ones I'd like to lose should I decide to revisit them one day. Actually now that we have fibre internet at home I've always meant to remove a few titles from Always Installed to free up HDD space, since I can re-download them a lot faster now. That doesn't mean I regard those titles any less. 

The thing that gets me the most with this deal, is that they can surely see how much of a negative reaction it has had among their fanbase. Their until yesterday loyal fanbase. What good's a better deal on another store, if most people do like I did and rush to purchase the game on Steam before it's pulled or decide to boycott the game altogether? Sure, there's a few self-righteous pricks on Steam who are celebrating the move, but they clearly number in the minority. The few who don't mind if it's Steam or Epic won't add up to a majority either. 

And we all know that there's be some playing on Epic come the 15th that will come to Steam for help, because I don't think Epic has support forums yet (still). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 1:46am
A comparison of Steam and Epic Store features taken earlier this month. 

I admit I don't personally use all of these features, but they are there for those that do and are an important thing for a lot of PC gamers. The pay-off incentive must have been huge to get Deep Silver to back a clearly inferior platform with everything to prove. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 4:05am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Way to shoot themselves in the fucking foot. Both feet even.

More like putting Artyom's Shambler in their mouth and emptying every single one of it's six shells into them.

The next thing we'll hear is a couple of months after launch is that sales aren't as good as expected and that the series is on indefinite hold like too many other decent single player IP's.

Fucking twats.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 12:41pm
This is going to get review bombed to hell and back on Steam upon release now isn't it?
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:10am
^ Most likely, but it would be detrimental to the argument against pulling the game from Steam since one of Epic's selling points is the absence of a toxic user base. Reviewing bombing Exodus will only add validation to the removal. 

I think Valve is going to need to put something in their own contracts from now on that says if your game is released on Steam (to me, putting it up for pre-order counts as released regardless of what the actual release date is) then you can't turn around at the last minute and make it exclusive to another store. The second they start taking money for it it should be locked into that store unless that store decides not to carry the title (as Steam doesn't for developers that break their ToS). 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:45am
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:07am
^Yeah, I think that's bullshit, tbh. I fully agree that what Deep Silver did is also bullshit (to the point where I think I may wait for a sale even on console, just on principle of not wanting to give that company full price for the game,) but attacking the past games in the series for that, won't accomplish anything, except show that Steam fans can be toxic. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 31 Jan 2019 at 9:07am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:59am
It's a difficult decision on where the best place to make a stand is. Do we withhold our money completely until 2020 and the new Steam release or make a point by keeping pre-orders paid for and hope that sales are better on Steam than Epic?

I've decided to keep mine and see how I feel within the first two hours. I'm confident that the game will be good, but whether it is £50 remains to be seen. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:19am
And now someone from 4A games has apparently said something along the lines of "If people don't buy the game from Epic Games Store, we won't release the next one on PC at all." What a shit show this has turned into LOL (And yeah, it makes my decision to hold off on the game for a sale even easier, because now I don't think either the publisher or the dev deserve my money.)

Edited by DippoMagoo - 03 Feb 2019 at 9:20am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:27am
One step closer to cancelling my Steam pre-order thanks to this dev's comments. Really not sure why anyone should support publishers and devs who screw over their fanbase and then have the gall to basically say shit like 'if you don't like it you won't get metro 4 at all'.

Keep your fanbase happy. They make you and they can also break you.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 1:37pm
People are already showing up on the Steam forums asking for help with their Epic Store pre-orders for Exodus.

As you can imagine, they're being told to basically fuck off. 

Oh, the irony. This isn't going to pretty come release if there are problems. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 1:47am
Can't help but smile at this:

Metro Exodus will be available to pre-load for Steam customers who bought it before Epic snatched it away. That means Steam players will be able to play it the second the game goes live.

For Epic Store buyers, they'll only be able to start their 59GB download of the game when it goes live. 

Small karma, but karma all the same. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Can't help but smile at this:

Metro Exodus will be available to pre-load for Steam customers who bought it before Epic snatched it away. That means Steam players will be able to play it the second the game goes live.

For Epic Store buyers, they'll only be able to start their 59GB download of the game when it goes live. 

Small karma, but karma all the same. 

No longer smiling, the promised pre-load hasn't shown up in time for it to actually matter. I'll bet any money Epic stepped in and put a stop to it.

Also, apparently the game files have not even been received by Steam yet and it releases tomorrow. 

I've held onto my pre-order for this long, but if the game does not go live on Steam when it should they can kiss goodbye to my £50 - it'll be the final contemptuous action that Deep Silver could make to the Steam fanbase, and Epic Store can still go fuck itself. As can the game for at least a year. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 11:05am
Well it finally popped up in the last few hours since my post. Doesn't really make much difference to me, but the pre-load is far too late for those with poorer internet speed, the game goes live in 11 hours. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 11:23am
Ha, the irony. SureAI just released their Skyrim total conversion mod Enderal on Steam today of all days. It's been available for quite a while to install over Skyrim manually (since before SE came out) but when it first dropped it was a bit of a pain since you couldn't have it and regular Skyrim installed at the same time. Now it has its own page on Steam and downloads separate to Skyrim. So if Metro Exodus is a disaster and I refund within the first two hours, I know what I'll be playing next. 

This team also did the Nehrim total conversion for Oblivion which I've played through twice and for me is actually a better game than Oblivion, even if the audio is only available in German. That's coming to Steam as well, though not until next year. Still it's something to be hyped for IMO.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 11:24am
Yeah, that seems oddly late, but at least it still happened. All PS4 preorders let you preload 48 hours before the game out, which is plenty of time for anyone to get the game ready in time for release. I usually just set my games to download while I sleep, since 50 GB downloads take around 3-4 hours, for me.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:05am
Barely two hours since Exodus went live and the review bombing has already started.

But there are also some worrying real looking reviews that suggest it has some serious technical and performance problems. 

I'm still waiting for my pre-load files to decrypt, but I'll be forming my own opinion (and deciding on whether I keep it) soon enough. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:37am
Well this is not off to a good start. The decryption was moving along at a snail's pace so I decided to just re-load the normal files from scratch. Now the game seems to be refusing to download at all. Angry
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 3:57am
Okay, so I've played just over an hour and a half. The game play itself seems fine and for the most part s far the performance has been okay but with some sub-60 drops (on Ultra settings) and a few stutters, unfortunately some of them in very bad places, such as combat. I've tried dropping the quality preset to High. I honestly don't see much difference in how the game looks. I've had one freeze which did right itself within the options menu. No crashes, as yet. I'm pushing my limit on the possibility to refund now but so far it's looking like a keeper. There haven't been any really bad issues that make it completely unplayable to make me want to wait a year.

Also, major LOL at the fact that this game had launched with Steam only features like achievements and trading cards. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 94>
  Share Topic