Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Going to try updating my GPU drivers to see if that helps, but it seems like this is a common issue even for players with PC's well above spec. 

Well as I feared that didn't make the slightest bit of difference. I have to turn down the graphics to the lowest possible setting to ever get close to 60FPS in this area and even then it dips all the time. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:14am
And the performance of Shadow of the Tomb Raider just gets worse and worse. Sub-30FPS and crazy unplayable stutters now I've reached the Hidden City, especially in the higher area of the map. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:58pm
That sucks. I obviously couldn't have predicted that, since I played on PS4 and everything seemed to be a stable 30FPS there. It certainly wasn't dropping to 1FPS sometimes, like AC: Odyssey. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 1:32am
I think it's another case where it's just been terribly optimised on PC. I'm saying this because even turning down the settings to lowest doesn't even fully fix matters. And lowest looks really bad on this game. I can tolerate it when it's flitting down into the 50's and even the 40's but when it goes below 30 that's when it becomes hard to play. 

But as a game itself I'm enjoying it. The puzzles have made me have think sometimes and the combat when it is there actually seems a lot tougher compared to the last two games, though this does ram home a reliance on stealth and adds a pressure not to screw up in that regard or you'll get taken down quickly, so I guess I have some mixed feelings in that regard. I'm slightly reminded of the game I Am Alive that requires you to take the enemies in each encounter out in a certain way and even a certain order if you're to have any hope of progressing in the level. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 1:48am
People are really fucking sad. I just found out the real reason why Shadow of the Tomb Raider's approval rating on Steam dropped so much: review bombing. The reason? People are pissed that it's got a discount already. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 10:29am
It did get discounted very quickly, for that kind of game. The real concern is, that's probably a sign the game's sales bombed hard, so the series might be over, at least in this form. Which would suck, because I never got into the series before, but I've loved these past three games.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 11:28am
So have I. I was never much into the series in its earlier incarnations. I was never much good at the titles on PS1 (only really had access to IV though) and the only older game I've come close to completing is Anniversary (rage quit near the end over one jump that I just could not get right and never went back). I had some progress on Underworld but then my RSI flared up and I had to leave gaming off for quite a while and never picked it up again. TR2013 is what made me a fan of the series and it would be a real shame to see the franchise killed prematurely like too much others, including Mass Effect. 

The thing here is that PC gamers especially have been burned way too often by poorly optimised games that require patch after patch before they become even close to playable, so a lot of us are very wary now about buying any game early. And apparently those that do are the type to start throwing their toys out their prams when a discount gets offered and besmirch the game's rep on Steam over a few lost £$£$£. 

I would not have bought it yet if the sale price minus the trading card money I had built up hadn't worked the price of the complete edition down to about what I'd have been happy paying for it, but even so I do still feel a bit burned by it because even though the game itself is great the performance issues just get more and more horrendous. My all time low on FPS, using a GTX 1070 which is a better card that the recommend spec states, is now a measly 7 FPS and it's also now started stuttering even when the average frame rate is well above 60. This is why a game's sales often aren't up to the dev and publisher's expectations: they're releasing inferior products. It's not a dig at Shadow in particular, because Andromeda ran like shit in some locations at first including the Tempest, most of which were fixed by the time of my recent second playthrough. Same deal with Dishonored 2, which actually got worse again after some patches for me. It's a plague with anything that is supposed to be AAA it seems and that's why a lot of us won't pay top asking price or buy on day one now. We've learned the hard way that it's not worth it. I can honestly say that even though I am having fun with Shadow of the Tomb Raider that if I'd have realised that the problems were going to this severe that I'd have waited a bit longer and hoped much patches managed to stabilise the performance. It's not an issue with my rig, because even lowest settings, which look absolutely shit, can't managed a stable 60FPS in the Hidden City. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 1:17pm
Yeah, that does sound like it would be extremely annoying to deal with. Now that I have a laptop that can play reasonably high spec games, I've gone through some of that as well, where a game would be listed as having less demanding specs than games I can run flawlessly, but then I try it and get stuck with sub 30FPS, and have to play around with settings for sometimes up to an hour, to see if I can even get it to be salvageable or not. That's one reason I prefer console gaming: Less FPS overall, but at least it doesn't give you a headache trying to get games to work, sometimes. 

And while I complain about games like AC: Odyssey and Witcher 3 on PS4, those are generally exceptions, where most games tend to be fine, with maybe minor glitches, and certainly no massive performance drops like those games. Even the infamous Andromeda only had one bad glitch for me (I couldn't load my file if I had saved in the Nomad) and otherwise ran perfectly fine.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 22 Oct 2018 at 1:19pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 1:34pm
I'm honestly not sure how well Witcher 3 ran when I first had it as I hadn't discovered the FPS counter on Steam then, but it never seemed to stutter. Dialogue's were slower because of Hairworks (which still has some drops on my current PC - I just leave it off these days), but I have to admit that there was one patch where afterwards a lot of people said the game ran worse and I experienced it too and I've always had to apply certain GPU teaks and ini changes to get near flawless 60FPS now, but I do get that after applying them. I haven't found any tweaks that have made a significant different in Shadow of the Tomb Raider yet. I applied some this morning, but they haven't changed much that I can tell. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 5:52am
Just finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I have to say that in the end I have mixed feelings that lead me to conclude it the weakest game of this reboot series so far. Aside from technical issues I've already talked about, the combat was lacking. Not so much in amount but when it was there it felt really jarring to me. Almost half-arsed even. As the combat was good in the last two games I'm not sure what went wrong here, but it felt considerably more clunky to perform and I found that most encounters were a real pain in the arse, especially when the game tried to force stealth, such as one particular big encounter where the game decided it would be a good point to make you lose all your weapons just before except for your knife and climbing axe (rather useless as weapons go in the game, since by the time you kill anyone with it the rest of the enemies have located you and shot you while kill animated are playing). I despised that encounter as it absolutely forced you to complete it never breaking stealth which led to me dying maybe a dozen times before I managed to clear that area. Before you had weapons to fall back on, but there it was suddenly impossible. Given how few and far between encounters in the game are I have to conclude that as bad game design. If they'd been more enemies around and more chances to get used to stealth maybe it would have worked better, but it was really just a really annoying sequence. The boss fight at the end of the game was also really bad for the opposite reason, since the game put all this reliance on stealth which was of very, very limited use then, since even in the first phase of the fight before the boss even attacks it was very rare that you could get an enemy alone to take them out with alerting another. 

I liked the exploration side of the game and most of the levels were good, though I feel the game peaked in that regard early with the Peruvian Jungle. In truth I felt the game took a downturn along with its FPS as soon as it got to Kuwaq Yaku. 

Edited by adg211288 - 26 Oct 2018 at 11:04am
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 10:28am
I actually LOVED that extended stealth sequence, despite usually sucking at and hating stealth. I don't think I even got caught once, which is a total surprise for me. I love how it gradually built up, starting with just pure stealth, then slowing giving you more options, until you were able to start mind controlling enemies, and then eventually it turned into a huge shootout. That was actually my favorite sequence in the entire trilogy LOL 

The last boss was a bit disappointing, I agree with that. It's weird, because both the opening and ending were a tad disappointing for me, but I loved everything else.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 3:13am
I actually normally prefer stealth combat - I sneak everywhere I can in Skyrim and Fallout 4 for instance - I just don't think it was executed that well in Shadow. Like when you do a stealth kill Lara will sometimes drag the body into nearby cover, but not always and there being no option to manually do it. Puts enemies on alert to see a body lying around. Actually I also found that even when they were patrolling normally and I was fully in cover they had a habit of suddenly walking directly to where I was, even when it wasn't an obvious patrol path. And when they do that it's very hard to get away from them again without being seen. Those mind control arrows were something of a life saver actually. I should have remembered them in the final boss fight, but I was too boss trying to dodge everything and get a few shots in on the actual boss. 

Also in that stealth section one time when they spotted me I actually ran back to the previous section to wait for them to go off alert like they normally do and they never did in that section, they just camped out at the gap you squeeze through making it impossible to return to that area without immediately getting cut down. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 12:33pm
Trying to find a new game out of my Steam library to delve into next without falling back on one I've already completed like I usually do. Tried one called 2Dark yesterday but found it clunky right from the off, so that got uninstalled. Today I've been trying a horror one called Remothered: Tormented Fathers. It's Amnesia like although in 3rd person with some minimal defence options, but what started as promising has taken a downturn fast as soon as the first enemy appeared. Not only does he make no sense in terms of narrative (unless something gets revealed about him later), since he's presented as a sick old man yet he can continually catch you with no problem, being able to keep track of him is proving near impossible as he sounds so close all the time even when he is nowhere near your position. He also seems to be able to hear everything whether he is close or not as well. I can understand that behaviour in the alien in Alien Isolation, but even that had weaker hearing then this guy: if you run a single step he immediately runs straight to your position and if you hide (in the usual kind of options for these games), he always goes straight to that hiding place before any other. Whether he finds you there depends on a mini-game of sorts, which is pretty easy, but even after he walks away he locates you again so fast I'm finding it impossible to even find where my next objective is, let alone get there safely. 

I may give it another go yet, but seeing as this is the first enemy encounter I have a feeling this game may get more annoying than it is fun. 

Edited by adg211288 - 28 Oct 2018 at 12:36pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 6:52am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Trying to find a new game out of my Steam library to delve into next without falling back on one I've already completed like I usually do. Tried one called 2Dark yesterday but found it clunky right from the off, so that got uninstalled. Today I've been trying a horror one called Remothered: Tormented Fathers. It's Amnesia like although in 3rd person with some minimal defence options, but what started as promising has taken a downturn fast as soon as the first enemy appeared. Not only does he make no sense in terms of narrative (unless something gets revealed about him later), since he's presented as a sick old man yet he can continually catch you with no problem, being able to keep track of him is proving near impossible as he sounds so close all the time even when he is nowhere near your position. He also seems to be able to hear everything whether he is close or not as well. I can understand that behaviour in the alien in Alien Isolation, but even that had weaker hearing then this guy: if you run a single step he immediately runs straight to your position and if you hide (in the usual kind of options for these games), he always goes straight to that hiding place before any other. Whether he finds you there depends on a mini-game of sorts, which is pretty easy, but even after he walks away he locates you again so fast I'm finding it impossible to even find where my next objective is, let alone get there safely. 

I may give it another go yet, but seeing as this is the first enemy encounter I have a feeling this game may get more annoying than it is fun. 

I've given up on this one. I did get a little further but I'm finding it impossible tell which direction the enemy is going to come from and with save points few and far between I just find myself having to repeat the same tasks over and over again. Not fun at all. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 4:53pm
Gonna try out the DLC for Outlast for Halloween. It's been awhile since I played a good survival horror!Smile

Edited by Psydye - 30 Oct 2018 at 4:53pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Gonna try out the DLC for Outlast for Halloween. It's been awhile since I played a good survival horror!Smile

It's a good DLC. Disturbing, naturally, but good. I may play a bit of Outlast myself today. 

Have you played the second game yet? 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 2:02am
^I have not, but I intend to do so! Shame I don't have it for today though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 2:33am
^ It actually has 75% off on Steam right now.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 3:32pm
A little freebie for whoever gets it first (Steam). Already own it on my main and backup accounts. 

Overcast - Walden and the Werewolf: ZRA3F-XDQKV-9D39Z

GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 4:06pm
So, the maker of Undertale ( A really unique, funny RPG from a few years ago) made a mysterious new project, called Deltarune, which currently isn't on Steam (but I think it will be when it's officially unveiled.) It's only one chapter and about 3 hours so far, but it basically plays the same as Undertale, and has familiar faces, but in a whole different world, from what I can tell. Based on the first chapter, it looks amazing!

I also got Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption, which is basically what Dark Souls would be as a boss rush game. I heard people say it's "sadistic" and "way too hard" but I beat two bosses in about 30 minutes and only died 10 times, so it doesn't seem all that rough, unless I magically picked the two easiest bosses first. Seems pretty cool, though, it's only on Discord now, for some reason. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 94>
  Share Topic