Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 1:27pm
CD Projekt Red released the gameplay reveal for Cyberpunk 2077 today, and aside from the graphics not looking next gen as gaming journalists were saying, the game looks pretty amazing, as expected:

I'd say, unless you want to avoid spoilers completely, the last 10 minutes or so are worth watching, just to see some of the crazy stuff you can do later in the game. The gameplay actually looks much better than I would have expected, and of course the setting is incredibly detailed. Definitely one of my most anticipated games for the next few years.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:44am
I'll definitely give that a watch when I get the chance. Highly likely to be an early purchase for me, if not pre-order.

Currently starting the final stages (meaning Blood and Wine) of my current Witcher 3 playthrough. I've also been playing a bit of The Long Dark again, exploring a newly added region. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 1:08am
News in yesterday, Superman actor Henry Cavill has been cast as Geralt in the Witcher Netflix series. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 4:24am
I have a giftable copy of the game Minion Masters that popped up in my Steam inventory. I've no use for it. If anyone wants it let me know. I can either send it via email (PM me) or directly through Steam if you're on my friend list.

GG2U

ColdReverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColdReverie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 3:30am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

News in yesterday, Superman actor Henry Cavill has been cast as Geralt in the Witcher Netflix series. 

Oh, so it's actually official? Thought it was just a rumour. Don't know what to expect really, but I hope he gets Geralt's grating tone right.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 3:36am
Yeah it's official. Not sure what to expect to be honest as I don't know him as an actor at all. Never bothered to watch any of the current DC films since as far as I can tell the only one that seems worth a damn is Wonder Woman. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 10:40am
I've liked him in some shows before, but I saw him in Man of Steel and thought he was terrible. Then again, everything about it was terrible, so I can't really fault him (and this was well before my superhero burnout, btw.) I'm also hearing rumors that Ciri will be played by a black actress, which would be kinda strange, imo.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I'm also hearing rumors that Ciri will be played by a black actress, which would be kinda strange, imo.

I think this would be a huge mistake. AFAIK in the lore of the Witcher world black people are native to lands such as Ofir and Zerrikania. Ciri is from Cintra. And if the games are anything to go by, people from different lands being generally well travelled is rare (you see Avar Javed in the first game and a few ofirri characters in Wild Hunt and that's pretty much it). I don't think this will be a series where fans will tolerate such blatant stomping on the established lore. 

I smell the Political Correctness Brigade at work here, if true. If Ciri was supposed to be black to begin with and they put out a casting call for a white actress there would be hell to pay. There shouldn't be a double standard, when it comes to casting characters correctly. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:40am
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 1:24pm
Yeah, I don't understand The Witcher lore all that well, but basically what I do understand is, it's based heavily on middle age Europe (CDPR even used that argument to fend off people complaining about a lack of racial diversity within The Witcher 3) and it sounds like Netflix is trying to Americanize it, which is pretty stupid, imo. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 2:17pm
Even if you ignore the game depictions (which should be, as this series is based on the novels), this is how young Ciri is depicted on the artwork of a UK print:

I played the first two games before I was able to read the books, due to the general unavailability of English translations beyond the first one and one of the short story collections, but nothing in the books made me think the game depictions were off the mark. This is actually a belief that was reinforced by Ciri, one of the few characters I read about before seeing them in game, along with Yen (who I disliked in the books and grew to hate even more in the game). My biggest thought with all this race changing business is that if a game can get it right why can't a TV series? 

Edited by adg211288 - 09 Sep 2018 at 10:13am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 1:44pm
Well the release of Shadow of the Tomb Raider has crept right up on me. Hearing good things about it so far. Still highly tempted to buy early. Shouldn't as I've had to fork out for a new screen for my PC recently, but highly tempted. Moreso due to nearly being at the end of the current Witcher 3 run. Just got the final bit of Blood and Wine to play. And maybe run around the maps revealing all those last ? icons (which I've never done in full on the Skellige map).
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 11:48pm
I preordered a physical copy for PS4, and should get it Wednesday, but I won't be playing it until at least next weekend, because I'm still playing Dragon Quest XI. That game is looking to last me close to 100 hours, as I'm almost 40 hours in and apparently well under halfway through the game. It's been quite fun, though, so I certainly can't complain. 

It's weird, though, even if they're completely different styles of games, that Square Enix would release the two that close together. I mean, there probably isn't much crossover, but at least in my case the hype for Tomb Raider isn't quite there right now, simply because I know Dragon Quest will have me distracted for a long time yet. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:44am
I actually did start Shadow of the Tomb Raider right away, since Dragon Quest is nowhere near being finished, and putting Tomb Raider off for long would have made me restless, I think. It's basically Rise 2.0, except with less combat, and it has the slowest start of the three modern games, which is saying something, considering they all have pretty slow starts. Otherwise, all gameplay elements are there and as good as ever, the story seems good as usual, and the combat picks up big time in the second half, with the implementation of stealth being possibly my favorite in any game I've played, as I usually hate forced stealth, but this game handles it really well, with some of the things you can do. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:48am
94% positive reviews on Steam so far as well. I have decided to hold off though and see what kind of deal I can get on this around Christmas time. I still have games dating back to Steam sales a year or more ago that I haven't touched yet as well as a few major titles that I've picked up over the years but never got around to. Now that my most recent Wild Hunt run is done, I'm thinking of looking at:

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 (started it but drifted away - I should at least try to finish it)
Saints Row Gat Out of Hell (also started it but didn't go very far for some reason)
The Walking Dead A New Frontier (I guess I'll restart this from scratch after all this time)
Mad Max (owned it for ages - never even started it up)

Or I may play some shorter and more casual indie games for a while - the kind I don't usually go back to once done - just to clear them from the backlog. My gaming guilty pleasure is actually Hidden Object Games and I have a ton I haven't played yet. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:52am
Well someone was bound to do it:

GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 10:07pm
It looks like Telltale is officially done: https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09/21/narrative-adventure-studio-telltale-games-essentially-closes-down

On the one hand, I feel terrible for the over 200 employees suddenly losing their jobs, as that has to be incredibly stressful, and they're probably desperately scrambling to find work now, which is terrible.

On the other hand, though, I'm a bit upset, because I paid $27 for the final season of The Walking Dead, which was supposed to be four episodes, but it looks like it's ending after two episodes. If true, I feel like I've been robbed of $13.5 dollars, for the two episodes I'll never get, but even more than that, not getting to see the ending to a story I've followed for close to 5 years now, would be absolutely heartbreaking. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 21 Sep 2018 at 10:14pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 1:04am
This is very sad. Some of the best games of recent years I've played have been made by them and I know I'm not the only one to feel that way given how well received a lot of them have been. Maybe this is proof that the episodic release structure is not a good thing in the long run as a lot of people, like me, will not buy the titles until they are 100% released. Of maybe they just bit off more than they could chew with too many franchises going at once instead of focusing on the titles people most wanted - I know I'm not the only one who wanted a second Tales from the Borderlands - yet they opted to make more than one Minecraft game since then and that was one of their less well received titles. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:26am
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:40am
Still a shame there won't be a second Tales From the Borderlands now. I know it wasn't technically on the cards anyway, but I still had hope. I hate unresolved cliffhangers like that game had.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 94>
  Share Topic