MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 94>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 12:48pm
'Been playing Night in the Woods, Cursed Castilla, Ori and the Blind Forest and The Darkside Detective lately. All excellent games!
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 12:07am
I finaly decided to start up Metro 2033: Redux tonight. Played about 90 minutes so far, and it looks cool. I love the tense atmosphere and weird visions going on already, and the shooting feels pretty good so far, certainly much better than the original version, in which I kept failing the sequence where you're riding in the mines right at the start of chapter 1, LOL! I'm already well into chapter 2 on this version and it's been really good so far, though I'm already falling for crazy tricks, like failing to notice random holes in a tunnel. That was pretty funny!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 12:15am
Yeah you have to keep a slow pace most of the time in that series or you might run into something nasty. LOL It's been ages since I played either game but I remember both fondly. The Redux of 2033 certainly makes a world of difference even though I did still enjoy the original version. Last Light the difference is negligible though. I'm not sure why they bothered to do anything to that one to be honest. I'm super hyped for the new game when it eventually comes out. I'll have to replay the first time before that I think. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 12:20am
Yeah, the Redux came shortly after the original release of Last Light, so it's not like they had much time to do anything with it. It's the only version on PS4, though, so that's why I got it. At least for 2033, they would have updated the graphics a lot, plus I heard they updated the gameplay to match Last Light, so that Redux was perfectly justified, from what I've read.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 12:27am
Yeah the gameplay in the 2033 Redux is smoother and takes advantage of improvements in Last Light. Actually the whole game engine is upgraded to Last Light's. Some levels have also been merged into one large level in the Redux, such as the Dead City. Mostly that means two levels become one but there are cases when three were merged. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 4:12pm
My playthrough may have just hit a snag: I reached a part a few hours in where I have to control a turret while being driven through a tunnel, and between the aiming feeling wonky and having to do so while the vehicle keeps moving, it's making me a bit sick, as well as simply being too hectic to keep up with. Hopefully I can pull through, because I'm loving the game otherwise. I really hate it, though, when games force that kind of on rails crap in, especially with a game like this where you can usually play stealthy and take things slow, instead of having to rely on reflexes, which I simply don't have.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:25pm
Oh yeah I remember that part. That gave me so much trouble the first time I originally played 2033 that the only way I eventually cleared it was to watch a YouTube playthrough to see exactly who/what to shoot at and in what order. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:15am
Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. Thankfully, I got past it, and haven't gotten stuck on any other part for quite that long, so far. There's actually an outside shot I'll finish it tonight, if not, then tomorrow for sure. It's definitely a great game, aside from a couple annoying parts here and there. 

I also find it really weird how Artyom speaks during the narrations in between chapters, but not during actual gameplay. It just seems a bit odd to me.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:17am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I also find it really weird how Artyom speaks during the narrations in between chapters, but not during actual gameplay. It just seems a bit odd to me.

Yeah I've always thought that. I hate silent protagonists in general but here it's really odd that he doesn't talk in the actual gameplay or cutscenes. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:08am
On the bright side with that trolley combat level, if I recall correctly in the Redux you only see the tank at the end. In the original 2033 you had to fight that too. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:22am
Yeah, I didn't have to fight any tanks, thankfully. By the end of that sequence, I was pretty much exhausted and wanted nothing to do with it. 

I did in fact finish it last night, and aside from that one sequence and the Artyom thing, I thought it was an excellent game overall, especially the atmosphere, story and how you could use stealth effectively in many of the human combat sequences. The actual gunplay was also fun, considering I generally suck at FPS games. And the ending sequence was suitably weird, crazy and got me hyped up for Last Light, so I'll start that one later today. I'm quite pumped for it, because I liked 2033 a lot, but I've heard even on the Redux Last Light is a much better game, so I can't wait to see how good it really is. The only downside is, after that I could be waiting a year or more for Exodus, though that one already looks great as well.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:16am
I'm now pretty far into Last Light, and loving it as expected. It's still been intense like 2033, but it hasn't had anything nearly as ridiculous as that trolley combat section. The Nazi prison sequence near the beginning was actually incredibly, and really set the bar high for the game, and for the most part, it keeps delivering.

My only annoyance so far has to do with the autosave system. I didn't like it much in the first game, either, but this time it actually screwed me over big time, to the point where I had to restart a chapter. Basically, I was running low on gas filters during a surface mission, found a place close to the objective, and the game autosaved once, which was fine, because at that point I had maybe 3-4 minutes left. Then, I went around in a circle, and the game autosaved again, this time with only 1 minute remaining. I eventually found out where to go, but by that point I was down to about 40 seconds, and had to fight a boss, which meant I was completely screwed. I wish the game would either allow manual saves, or at least let you select between a few different autosaves, to avoid a situation like that. Thankfully, I only lost about 5 minutes progress, but it was still annoying. If Exodus really is more open world, though, I really hope it has a different save system, because otherwise it could potentially be a deal breaker.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:34am
Was that The Swamps level? If so I think that happened to me when I first played Last Light since it's quite an open level above ground. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:12pm
I think it was just after the swamp. It was the mission where you have to get to the church, and I had an autosave a few seconds away from the church, with 40 seconds left on my last gas filter. By the time I got  in front of the church, I was down to about 25-30 seconds, and then there was a boss fight, so I was completely screwed. When I restarted the chapter, I got back there with about 3:30 left and passed it easily. Now, every time I have to use a gas mask I worry I'll get ripped off by a poorly timed autosave again. That's my only real issue with Last Light, though, aside from Artyom being quiet again. There haven't been any really annoying sequences, like in 2033.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:19pm
Just finished it. There was one really nasty section near the end, that would have likely gone better with a sniper rifle. Without one, it was pretty rough, and got me pretty salty for quite a while, until I finally got it. The rest of the game was awesome, though, aside from the issues I already mentioned. The plot never fully grabbed me as much as in 2033, but there were still a ton of great moments, and I think the overall game was slightly better, with a perfect mix between linear and more open sections. I hope Exodus can continue to have a perfect balance, even if it is a bit bigger and more open overall.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 1:45am
I ended up rage quitting Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 yesterday. I have been enjoying the game apart from some technical issues but then I got to this (main) mission where you have to complete it with zero enemy alerts and I just lost my patience with it. There is no manual save in the game so if you fail you have to start over every time from as good as the start of the whole mission and I really despise games that make you replay the same parts over and over because the checkpoints aren't in ideal places. 

It's not the first mission like this in the game but its the first one where the requirement felt really ridiculous because the mission area is an absolutely huge area that is packed with enemies not one of which is allowed to see you or wander into a body of anyone you do kill and the place you have to get to is guarded by two stationary guards and another patrolling nearby. To top that off if these series has taught me anything across two previous games it's that you take out enemies that have high vantage points first, but that strategy just doesn't seem to work here. I also failed twice because my shots just seemed to bounce off enemies instead of killing them. What really finished this game for me though was that when I eventually took out the enemies up high and started to make my way around to the next vantage point I inexplicably failed the mission again for no apparent reason, undoing about 10-15 minutes of carefully planned work. I don't know if that was a glitch or there was a patrolling enemy I just hadn't seen that walked into a corpse, but it sure was annoying given how long it took to wait for the shots to line up on everyone I had taken out, including a really risky double shot that I was forced to take about five minutes in where after scouting the area with the drone a helicopter lands in the mission area and drops even more enemies off, right where I was positioned.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 5:34am
You put me in the mood to revisit the Metro games. Just did Trolley Combat on 2033. Got through it in one but really touch and go. I hate this level too. 

In the library did you fall for this by the way? Nearly shit myself when I first played 2033. 

GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:29am
No, I never saw that one before LOL

I did get myself caught once in the library, when I didn't notice a thing hanging from the ceiling and it kept coming down and grabbing me.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 10:39am
I've been playing Vampyr, the latest from the developers of Remember Me and Life is Strange. It's a pretty interesting game, in that the dialogue and story has been pretty good, though not on the level of Life is Strange, and I like the idea of being a vampire and having the option to feed on people to gain more exp, or try going for a non violent run and risk making the game harder by being underlevelled. 

The game also has a cool system, where it's divided into multiple districts, and you have to try keeping everyone healed and the districts each have their own health, but certain choices you make can cause you to lose the districts completely. The way they execute this is a bit annoying, and one particular choice it felt like I was doing the right thing, yet it caused the situation to spiral out of control, though I definitely like the idea they're going for. This is definitely the opposite of a Telltale game, when it comes to choices. 

Sadly, though, the combat is an absolute shit fest. It's incredibly clunky, unresponsive and just not fluid to play at all. I pretty much had to cheese one boss with guns, because fighting any other way was a disaster, due to how bad dodging and parrying are in the game. I'd actually take it over the likes of The Technomancer and especially the literally unplayable Elex, but compared to anything even half decent, it falls terribly short.

It also has severe technical issues on PS4, with bad loading times, constant frame stuttering, occasional crashes, and I even got some weird audio issue last night, where the characters talked in slow motion and it sounded absolutely terrible. The game is a technical marvel, in that you can't help but marvel at how game that looks so underwhelming visually, can have such massive technical issues. 

I am having some fun with the game, but it's easily the worst and least polished Dontnod game to date, and I definitely think they're better off focusing on pure story driven games in the future, because this one proves they can't do action games right at all. Thankfully, their next game Twin Mirror, looks to be going back to what they're good at, though it will take something big to win me back, after how disappointing Vampyr is.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:58am
Elder Scrolls 6 has been announced.

https://www.pcgamer.com/elder-scrolls-6-what-we-know/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 94>
  Share Topic