Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:58pm
Oh boy, if that's the case I may just skip it entirely, then. Honestly, episode 3 was so bad it killed my excitement for the series, so I may be better off waiting to see what the writers of the original do with the actual sequel (which is confirmed to be in the works) and hope it's way better. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 06 Mar 2018 at 12:58pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 1:17pm
I'll let you know what I think of it when I finish, but the first scene has already left me with mixed feelings due to derailing your first major choice so it doesn't play out. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 1:56pm
Spekaing of choices being derailed, I'm playing a seemingly low budget JRPG named The Longest Five Minutes (you can't actually call it a budget game because it's price is insane) and aside from the gameplay being repetitive and just kinda meh all around, I'm really frustrating, because it seemed like I had made a big choice that effect the story in a big way..... Only to immediately have it completely rendered pointless. I absolutely hate when games do that. it's basically the "Telltale Effect", lol!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 2:17pm
I just finished it (so yeah, it's short as hell). In the end the first derailment made sense but overall it was pretty depressing because if you pay attention it's clear what day this is set on right from the start so you know how it's going to end. 

Some of the Steam posts seem to be blowing things a bit out of proportion though. I'd got the impression that Max did something really, really bad to Chloe in this but in the end it just repeats something we've known all along since the original game - that they lost touch. 

My verdict overall is that this episode was a pretty pointless exercise. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 2:42pm
Just scrolling through the Steam forums for a second I think I know when the episode takes place, but that actually makes me more interested. I'll probably do it later tonight and hope I don't absolutely hate it like I did episode 3.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:26pm
I did the episode last night and actually really liked it. Definitely felt more like normal and not like whatever kind of messed up version of the game we got for episode 3. 

As for why Steam was upset: I can kind of get it. The fact that Max moved away literally right after William's funeral, is a pretty big jerk move, imo. I mean, I'm sure she could have at least convinced her family to put it off for a couple days so she could comfort Chloe a bit more before going. It basically went from being their last chance to have fun together to, total tragedy, and then bam! Max is gone immediately after. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 07 Mar 2018 at 11:27pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:17am
Yeah but let's not forget that Max is a child during those events and it isn't really her say when she leaves. Whether she could have convinced her parents or not, people laying the blame on her for leaving at that exact time are being a bit unreasonable. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 5:12pm
I'm getting back into Freedom Planet again. Sonic fans, take notice!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 12:26pm
Shadow of the Tomb Raider was just announced for September 14, and thankfully this time it won't be a timed exclusive. Obviously, I plan on getting it right away, since I loved the last two games.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 1:12pm
I did too, though I'm concerned about being able to run it as Rise of the Tomb Raider was so demanding that even my £1000+ PC has trouble in some areas in spite of being over the supposed spec for the game. Really kinda of dreading to see the requirements they come up with on this one. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 2:01pm
Yeah, PC requirements are getting pretty out of hand lately, lol! 

In strange news, Geralt of Rivia will be a guest character in the new Soul Calibur. Can't say I would have expected that, if I hadn't heard the rumors beforehand (I've been following that one, in case it has good enough single player for me to get it at launch. If not, it's one of two fighting games I like enough to eventually buy it cheap, just to mess around with it for a few hours.)

Edited by DippoMagoo - 15 Mar 2018 at 2:01pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 1:22pm
This has been a dry year for new games so far, with an indie game called Iconoclasts being the only new game I've been really impressed by. My brother preordered me a copy of Pillars of Eternity II, though, from "master programmers" Obsidian, so I decided to finally give the first game shot. For the most part, I'm liking everything outside of the combat, with the story being quite good, side quests being neat and the setting is very interesting. Even the actual dungeons at least look well designed. Sadly, the combat is very clunky and I'm constantly wrestling against the AI programming, as my characters keep blocking each other off or getting caught against doors and walls whenever I have to fight in a narrow space, which happens pretty often. It's fun when I'm in a wide enough space to be able to fully utilize the whole party, but in a tight space it becomes a total mess. Typical master Obsidian programming, at its finest! I at least haven't had any glitches, though, so that's a big step up for them, I guess.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 1:33pm
I have Pillars of Eternity. I tried it not that long ago but it wasn't grabbing me much. I will give it another go soonish. The problem for me was that I was finding it pretty directionless once you get to that first town (forget it's name), if you know what I mean? I had this goal listed and all but no idea of what I had to do to accomplish it aside from wandering around aimlessly and hoping to chance on the right place. That's one of my pet peeves in gaming. I like exploration in RPG's including the approach of Morrowind, but when I get to the point where I'm thinking 'okay, now what?' I lose interest fast. 

It didn't help with this one though that I'd become quite attached to my starting party already only to unavoidably lose them after the first cave. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 1:45pm
Hmm, I actually haven't really found it too confusing to figure out where to go. I figured out how to advance the plot from the first village early on, but kept doing a bunch of side stuff first, then eventually ended up with two possible directions to go in, went the optional way first and got destroyed, so then  turned back toward the main path and now I'm doing fine with it. Looks like I'll soon  be going back in the other direction. I enjoy just walking around talking to people and doing side stuff, though, so I'll never truly get lost in this kind of game.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 08 Apr 2018 at 1:45pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 2:47pm
I recently started Quantum Break but haven't played too much of it yet. I'm liking it but it's clearly a really bad PC port: the FPS counter seems to stay at 60 but the game really doesn't feel like it a lot of the time. It's very juddery. The actual gameplay and story seem okay but I'm not as quickly invested in it as I was with Alan Wake. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 3:35pm
I watched a playthrough of that while I was in the hospital, because at the time I didn't think I'd ever have a PC capable of running it (even now, it's doubtful my current laptop could run it well enough for it to be enjoyable. I'd probably get maybe 20-30 FPS on a lower setting, I think.) Anyway, based on what I saw the gameplay looks bland and boring, just like with Alan Wake, though probably less frustrating than the mess that was that game's combat, but the story was really interesting and I enjoyed the live action segments a lot. Sadly, the game didn't do too well and now that developer is working on multiplayer focused games, they said, which means I likely won't care about anything they do in the future.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:30am
Adam, if you think Pillars was having little direction early on, you definitely wouldn't like what happened to me earlier tonight: I got a sidequest that gave no indication as to being relevant to the late game, as it only mentioned areas I had already been to. I went to attempt it, got wiped out within 15 seconds on the lowest difficulty, and then when I asked my brother about it, he told me it was added in for the second DLC, lol! There was absolutely nothing in the game to indicate that was the case, as early parts of the quest had either no combat or optional combat, and you only do it in areas you've already been to, but then at the end you have to do this ridiculously hard fight. At least the other DLC quests I've seen so far specifically mention the DLC area, so I know to save them for later.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I watched a playthrough of that while I was in the hospital, because at the time I didn't think I'd ever have a PC capable of running it (even now, it's doubtful my current laptop could run it well enough for it to be enjoyable. I'd probably get maybe 20-30 FPS on a lower setting, I think.) Anyway, based on what I saw the gameplay looks bland and boring, just like with Alan Wake, though probably less frustrating than the mess that was that game's combat, but the story was really interesting and I enjoyed the live action segments a lot. Sadly, the game didn't do too well and now that developer is working on multiplayer focused games, they said, which means I likely won't care about anything they do in the future.

I haven't gone far with it but so far the combat is decent and the platforming sections in between are a bit bland. There is some collectable finding to do but I find this poorly handled so far as it's one of those games that closes off areas behind you pretty fast so if you don't know where you're going it's so easy to irreversibly miss documents and upgrades. The actual third person shooting/time manipulation powers combat is fine, though so far I haven't had to rely on much more than the pistol which has unlimited ammo. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:56pm
For the retro-gamers:

Billy Mitchell's scores have been removed by Twin Galaxies!

He came across as an unlikeable douche in The King of Kong, but a lot of people have accused the movie's makers of editing it like that on purpose. It looks like they were justified after all.

And all this not long after the outing of the biggest cheater of all time, Todd Rogers.

This might not mean a lot to some people, but it's rocked the foundations of my childhood. It's the equivalent of someone revealing Lemmy was lip syncing (which of course, didn't happen!).

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 5:39am
Started playing Sniper Ghost Warrior 3. The reception for this series has always been mixed but I've always enjoyed the games, including this one so far, which moves the series from linear missions to open world environments. I have a few gripes with it, including the inability to manually save (for me this is a must for any game but especially open world titles) and I do get the occasional stutter when playing on very high settings (I really shouldn't do since I exceed specs), but I'm having fun with this one, though I feel more like I'm playing Far Cry 3 again with it than either of the two previous games. 

Speaking of Far Cry I'm tentatively thinking of getting Far Cry 5 at some point even though I still haven't got around to picking up Far Cry 4 (I know they're all standalone stories so that doesn't matter). 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 94>
  Share Topic