Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 9:43pm
I still haven't played it yet and may not at all, despite liking the first game, because I've heard the story is less interesting/much harder to make any sense out of at all, apparently, and I've heard that the hide and seek crap is much more annoying than in the first game, which really scares me off. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 3:37am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I still haven't played it yet and may not at all, despite liking the first game, because I've heard the story is less interesting/much harder to make any sense out of at all, apparently, and I've heard that the hide and seek crap is much more annoying than in the first game, which really scares me off. 

Well the bit I didn't understand the most was how all the school scenes were supposed to play into what was happening otherwise in the village. My best theory was it was something to do with the main character's sanity but I found it incredibly unclear what the purpose was even come the end of the game. If it weren't for those parts I'd rank the game as better I think. The first game was excellent but I found the atmosphere of this one to be better though the story was, to be fair, rather generic religious cult fare. 

I didn't find the hide and seek system as you put it to be any better or worse than the first game though there are more options for hiding such as long grass, barrels, water and wardrobes along with the returning beds and lockers. I think it's fair to say that enemies are a bit harder to escape as they continually patrol in most encounters but they do display behavioural patterns that you can watch and plan accordingly around. 

What bothers me in all games like this is the player character's inability to so much as try to push an assailant away or even kick at them if grabbed. I know they like to avoid actual combat in the genre but a few QTE's that allow even a couple of seconds to escape wouldn't go amiss. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 9:53am
Started Prey. Enjoying so far but finding the combat a tad clunky due to the absence of a proper aiming system which is odd in any first person game, especially a shooter. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 2:16am
Started Dishonored: Death of the Outsider as well now. Played the first mission last night. Very good so far but I haven't had a chance to play with Billie's powers yet since like with the main games you don't get them until after mission one. 

Picked up a few more titles in the sale as well having been given money over Xmas. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 1:38am
Haven't been back to Prey since Death of the Outsider hooked me in more. Partway through the final mission and should finish today. Very impressed so far and unlike Dishonored 2 I haven't experienced any major performance issues with this game. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
Death of the Outsider ended up being pretty awesome. 

Paused on Prey for now, but alternating between Life is Strange Before the Storm (two of three episodes completed but some achievements missed in Ep2) and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, which I took a gamble on despite only have a 25% discount in the Steam sale, which is pretty good so far. Had one really annoying bit I played through earlier where the game through up something that looks exactly like a type of puzzle you've already had to deal with a couple of times before only this one was with a timer (an enemy of some sort that I never got a real good look at due to running away in panic) and I died several times before I realised that instead of solving the apparent puzzle you just had to run through it. Pretty cruel design choice IMO.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 4:14pm
I'll probably comment more on Life is Strange Before the Storm when I finish episode 3 but I was reading online that there are quite a lot of plot inconsistencies between it and the original game and it's got me thinking. This may all be able to be written off by the fact that the prequel was made by a different developer and they maybe didn't research the canon of the first game as well as they could have done, but given that the original game is about time travel and features multiple timeline resets I don't think this theory is all that far-fetched:

The whole game of Before the Storm, despite the name, takes place in an alternate timeline or even a alternate universe. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:09am
Just forced myself to uninstall every game* on Steam that I've completed before in an attempt to play some of the titles I haven't finished or ever touched. 

*except for heavily modded games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Witcher 3, which would be a pain to put back in the exact same configuration. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 11:15am
Completed the game Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice yesterday. Overall feeling very positive about it despite some weird and often cruel design choices such as the one I wrote about in an earlier post. The end sequence was particularly frustrating but I'm hesitant to say why here because it's a major spoiler and I don't know if anyone here is interesting in playing and experiencing the game for themselves. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 12:30pm
I thought that game was awesome from a narrative and presentation perspective, but the gameplay was a bit hit and miss at times. And yeah, I totally wouldn't have thought to do what I had to do at the end sequence, to the point where when it inadvertently happened, I was afraid I messed  up, somehow, but I still got the ending, so I looked it up and figured out that was in fact what I needed to do to finish the game. Weird design choice for sure.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 3:18pm
Just tried to get back into Prey after not going back for over a month. I really want to love this game but it's proving a real struggle. I find it difficult to enjoy a shooter if you're always running out of ammo it in which seems to be the case here. I even turned the difficultly down the lowest but all the enemies still seem to be bullet sponges. They also seem to repopulate areas you do manage to clear really fast which makes it difficult to back track to try to find or make ammo if you run low/out and you end up using what you do get before you get back to where you actually need to be. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because people on the Steam forums say they have hundreds of excess ammo by the time they're before the point I'm at, but more likely they're just bullshitting in typical toxic Steam way and it's actually that the shooting mechanics are incredibly clunky with no real aiming ability. Most ammo gets wasted. It doesn't help that the enemies tend to be so damn fast. The Gloo gun is little help, since a ton of ammo is wasted just trying hit these little speedsters. Then you encounter one tough enemy and bye bye goes most if not all of your ammo reserves. 

The game is just not fun to play like this. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:41pm
The people saying they have excess amounts of ammo were probably using the duplicate exploit, which basically allows you to craft infinite amounts of each crafting material, so you can just keep making as much healing items and ammo as you need, lol! I took advantage of that, because combat was my least favorite part of the game, and it ended up making the game much more enjoyable for me. I'm not sure if the exploit still works or not, though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:21am
I usually hate using exploits but I may have to look into this one to see if its still possible so I can just enjoy the story. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:02am
I tried, the exploit does not work any more. I'm about ready to chalk up this game as a waste of time and money. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:01pm
That sucks. I really liked the game, but I'm not sure how I would have gotten through it without the duplication exploit. It just completely broke the game, but in a way that actually made it fun. I may have to delete it from my PS4 to save space, then, because if that doesn't work anymore I don't see myself ever playing through it again.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 22 Feb 2018 at 5:02pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 1:59am
Life is Strange: Before the Storm's bonus episode is out today. I'm looking forward to playing it. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:42pm
Did you get the version with the bonus episode, though? Because I think you needed to get the deluxe version for that. I have it, but I hated episode 3, so I'm almost terrified to see what these hack writers could do to screw Max up. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:45pm
Yes I got that version specifically to get all the content. I didn't have any issues with episode 3 though, so I'm not too concerned. Even with the very final scene in episode 3 I'm still not convinced the events of Before the Storm aren't playing out in an alternate universe to the first game: there are plot inconsistencies between the two which could be explained by bad writing but given the franchise could mean something more. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it, lol.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:51pm
I may have just been in a really bad mood when I played it, but it felt awful to me. Voice acting was in a slow motion most of the way through (that's a complaint I actually have seen others make as well, so I know I wasn't imagining it) and the scenes with Rachel's mother were so poorly written, they may as well have been written by Telltale, lol! It was also the first time I ever got absolutely robbed by a choice in either Life is Strange game, as I clearly hit the button on time during a back talk thing, but it failed anyway. I may need to give it another shot at some point, but my first run through was outright catastrophic.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:57pm
Oh man I just had a peak at the game's Steam forums and no spoilers but oh boy I think this may end up a real kick in the teeth. I'm about to put it on, anyway. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 94>
  Share Topic