Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:13am
I've had the PS4 version crash twice after about 7 hours of playing so far: Both crashes happened while viewing documents, so that might be an issue on PS4, somehow. I like the game a lot so far, though. It seems more open than the 2013 game was, which is nice. I took about 45 minutes trying to locate an optional tomb, only to realize I had to shoot something to open a hole in the ground, so that was pretty funny. The tomb itself took much less than 45 minutes to figure out. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:06am
Sometime soon I want to replay both games back to back.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 11:28am
I played through a short horror game called The Park today. It was pretty decent though it's plot was hard to follow at times, especially in the second act, as it leaves a lot of stuff open to interpretation. Gameplay wise it was a total walking simulator but the atmosphere, especially in the first act, was really good. A few jump scares managed to get me. 

Don't have much installed right now as I only just got my gaming PC back a couple of days ago. Steam has me pissed off though as none of my recent saves for the Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 seem to be in the Steam cloud. I really don't know why that should be as especially for Fallout 4 they should have been synced and backed up long before my problems with the PC started. Strange thing is, those saves are missing from my manual back-ups taken from before my PC went back as well, as if Steam deleted them from my hard drive beforehand. 

I think I'd going to stop using Steam cloud after this. It isn't the first time it's fucked me over.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 6:20am
Just tried a horror game called Alone?

It might be an okay title plot wise, nothing too out of the ordinary for the genre mind, but I stopped playing due to how clunky the controls were. Where most first person games have the player moving smoothly this one feels like you're dragging a ball and chain behind you everywhere. 

Another bundle game written off. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 1:07pm
Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider last night, and I thought it was awesome. It basically is the same as the 2013 game, with everything I already liked about it fully in tact, but now with a bigger open world, more tombs and a much longer story. I like both game a lot, but I'd give this one a slight edge just because there's more game to it, and because my version looks so much better than the last game (though that's because I played the 2013 game on the 360 and I played this on the PS4. It certainly does look gorgeous, though.) I think people are greatly overrating Uncharted 4, which really was a disappointment to me because for all its technical improvements it lacked an important element for me: Fun gameplay. So I guess I'm just glad to see this game kept that as the main priority, while still just being great overall.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 8:08am
Just installed a new GTX 1070 in my PC, which I basically got for free. 

I can now run Witcher 3 with Hairworks on and not have an FPS drop in cut scenes. 

I can run Rise of the Tomb Raider on the Very High preset and so far have been getting a solid 60FPS even in the Geothermal Valley map. Haven't tested a cut scene yet.

And just to show what a piece of shit it is when it comes down to it, the new card makes absolutely no difference in Fallout 4. Has Bethesda never heard of a little thing called optimisation? 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 11:13am
Yeah, it seems Bethesda have only gotten worse over the years, on a technical level at least. That game doesn't even look nearly as good as The Witcher or Rise of the Tomb Raider (which runs basically as smoothly as that kind of game possibly can on a PS4, btw), yet it has all kinds of framerate issues. Apparently Far Harbor on PS4 was hitting 15-20 FPS at times when it first came out Dead
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 11:37am
To be fair, my Fallout 4 FPS drops are usually only happening now in heavily built up settlements. My 970 card would also lose a few FPS in certain places in Boston itself which I haven't explored with the 1070 yet. Thing is having double the VRAM hasn't helped on the FPS in those settlement areas even by a single frame. Another thing, since I got my PC back the main menu of the game lags for several seconds now and can't be used. I don't know if there was a patch while I was out of action that did that or if it's just because I've got more mods installed now, but it definitely wasn't doing that before. 

I still say that as a game F4 is better than some made it out to be (I've actually played more hours on it than New Vegas now, though that's probably due to spending so much time building settlements), but yeah, Bethesda has really lost some of my respect recently. I'm hoping Skyrim SE isn't a disaster. We'll find it in a week's time when it drops (as a PC owner I'll get a free copy). At least they are only publishing Dishonored 2 rather than developing it otherwise I'd be concerned right now. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 4:35pm
I finally finished my most recent Witcher 3 run today that I had to abandon due to my PC going back for repair. This time for Blood and Wine I purposely played the end differently to get my last missing achievement. 

Right now I've mostly going to be replaying both Tomb Raider reboots, though I may make an effort to try a few of the indie games I've picked up over the years in between since those are kinda building up to an unmanageable amount now thanks to cheap bundle purchases. Of course I will be giving this Skyrim special edition a look when it comes out at the end of next week. Not sure I'm ready to invest in a fresh Skyrim run at this point though. Knowing Bethesda it will need some patching before it works well anyway. Little fact: the original Skyrim running with no mods still managed to drop frames rather than keep a smooth 60FPS on my new PC running a GTX 970, even though it's recommended GPU is a GTX 260. 

Oh yeah, and I took the plunge and pre-ordered Dishonored 2. Disc version as it was £8 cheaper than Steam, which it will most likely activate on anyway. I find it really odd that the release is so close and there are absolutely no system requirements for PC in sight, though with my new rig I shouldn't have any reason to worry about not being able to run it. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 6:38am
Someone stole my 3DS XL and all of my 3DS games.Angry
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 6:49am
Oh man that really sucks.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 12:23am
Restarted Rise of the Tomb Raider now. Playing on the very high preset (which isn't actually the max that some settings can go) and it looks amazing. Had two very small FPS drops on one of the known problem maps so far but mostly running at a smooth 60FPS.

Also installing Skyrim SE for a look. Given that the Steam page already says 'mixed' for reception though it's not looking too promising. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 11:39am
^Yeah, Bethesda has not been having a great year, between many people being disappointed with Fallout 4 (though I liked it a lot) and its season pass (which was a bit disappointing) to their troubles gettings mods on PS4 and now their new policy of not giving out review copies until a day before release, which effectively blocks consumers from having much idea of whether the games will be worth it until after it's too late to pre-order, and this apparently botched remaster. Things aren't going so great for them lately, lol!

I've mostly been playing the Dark Souls III DLC lately, and it's great as usual, though I had to bang my head against a wall for three straight nights before finally beating the main boss. It was brutally hard, but awesome as always.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 1:18am
I didn't play Skyrim SE for long but so far this is my impression:

- Mostly smooth FPS, but does drop a few here and there and in the same places I noticed drops in the original. Drops are smaller but that may be due to me running a more powerful GPU.

- atmospheric effects are much nicer.

- water looks better.

- the game crashed approaching Whiterun in the same place the original has often crashes for me.

- The disappearing water/land lod bug that is especially prevalent in the Winterhold area is still there. Maybe not quite as bad.

As for Rise of the Tomb Raider, my very high run with smooth 60FPS came to an abrupt end. Strangely the problem map which is the Soviet Installation ran absolutely fine up you you've escaped the prison section. Now it's suddenly lagging and dropping frames all over the place. I'd hoped that they would patch it to be better optimised by now, but apparently no such luck. If it keeps on I'll probably have to turn settings down a level until I finish in the area. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 1:41pm
Been playing FF III lately, for the DS. I don't have any portable system, so it is on an emulator. It's a bit slow/laggy though, but what can ya do?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 6:08pm
^I have FF III on Steam, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same version as the DS. Ran great for me even on an old (now dead) laptop. I'll probably go back to it at some point, though the other DS FF games turned me off because they screwed up the look of the characters (I guess III doesn't  bug me because I don't have the original to compare to, like I do for IV and VI.)

I've been playing World of FF lately, which is basically a mash up of FF and Pokemon, with a touch of Kingdom Hearts in how it's all structured. I'm enjoying it, although trying to catch all the monsters has proven to be rather annoying.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 12:25am
I've played a bit of The Long Dark again this last few days. The devs added this event in for Halloween that drew me back in to try it. The event itself I've decided I didn't like, but I've still got back into the game in a major way now. 

The trouble is being early access there are still some teething issues with it, especially regarding frame rate. On one map in particular the FPS was all over the place and I'm running a GTX 1070. I'm sure it used to run better than that but there have been a lot of graphical improvements, especially to the weather systems, since I last played.

Another problem is its been so long with a played this character I can't find my base! I'm spent days now trekking between all my usual haunts and I can't find my stash anywhere. There's some bullets in there I need desperately. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 12:15am
Dishonored 2 first impressions:

I've played about two hours, and am playing a slow, non-lethal game as Emily. I'm still on the first level and do not currently have any powers which means so far playing as her hasn't been any different from playing Corvo in the first game's prison level. I expect the gameplay will change slightly as soon as the powers are introduced but so far it seems like more of the same. Which of course is exactly what I expected and wanted. 

Now for the bad news. Same old story - terrible optimisation! Not sure if it's just the PC version or if consoles are also affected, but it could do with being a bit smoother. The game auto detected that I should be able to run everything on max settings but in some areas it's dropping frames. Much like every AAA title I've played in the last couple of years in that respect - Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider: none of them get smooth performance even if you have above recommended spec! I'm personally not having too much bother with Dishonored 2 as yet but I've seem players with lesser GPU's having a lot of trouble, even on lower settings. Not everyone can afford a GTX 1070 or higher. 

I've had one bug so far in this first level where a patrolling guard got stuck unable to step up a small curb on the road: inconveniently facing right at where I was finding peeking through the keyhole of a closed door, effectively trapping me if I wanted to remain unseen and forcing a reload. Fortunately they still have quicksave which comes in mighty handy and I only lost a few seconds progress. The bug didn't reoccur a second time. In point of fact that guard didn't go anywhere near that curb the second time. 

The first level itself is set in Dunwall and as such is very reminiscent of the first game. I've been taking my time to explore and find different routes and I think I must be at the end of it now but there's definitely at least one more location that I haven't been in yet that I want to try to get into before I finish up here. Stealthing all the guards in the level has so far proved impossible since there have been two so far that are always in each other's line of sight.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Dishonored 2 first impressions:

I've played about two hours, and am playing a slow, non-lethal game as Emily. I'm still on the first level and do not currently have any powers which means so far playing as her hasn't been any different from playing Corvo in the first game's prison level. I expect the gameplay will change slightly as soon as the powers are introduced but so far it seems like more of the same. Which of course is exactly what I expected and wanted. 

Now for the bad news. Same old story - terrible optimisation! Not sure if it's just the PC version or if consoles are also affected, but it could do with being a bit smoother. The game auto detected that I should be able to run everything on max settings but in some areas it's dropping frames. Much like every AAA title I've played in the last couple of years in that respect - Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider: none of them get smooth performance even if you have above recommended spec! I'm personally not having too much bother with Dishonored 2 as yet but I've seem players with lesser GPU's having a lot of trouble, even on lower settings. Not everyone can afford a GTX 1070 or higher. 

I've had one bug so far in this first level where a patrolling guard got stuck unable to step up a small curb on the road: inconveniently facing right at where I was finding peeking through the keyhole of a closed door, effectively trapping me if I wanted to remain unseen and forcing a reload. Fortunately they still have quicksave which comes in mighty handy and I only lost a few seconds progress. The bug didn't reoccur a second time. In point of fact that guard didn't go anywhere near that curb the second time. 

The first level itself is set in Dunwall and as such is very reminiscent of the first game. I've been taking my time to explore and find different routes and I think I must be at the end of it now but there's definitely at least one more location that I haven't been in yet that I want to try to get into before I finish up here. Stealthing all the guards in the level has so far proved impossible since there have been two so far that are always in each other's line of sight.

Further impressions, about ten hours in:

Mission 2: I missed a rune and a painting here despite going round the whole level at least three times poking in every nook and cranny for them. I guess they might have been on the ship that is your base (I didn't even think to look tbh) but if they were in the main level, I didn't find them. Nor does the heart point to a rune still to find. Overall good level. Unlike the first game it served as a part one for mission 3, meaning that it had no target of its own. Managed to try out a few of Emily's powers. Far Reach is basically Blink with physical movement at its base level. That makes a small difference with stealth situations I've found. Upgrading it to be able to grad distant items proved the only way I could obtain a rune and bone charm without being seen. Shadow Walk has proved handy to sneak up to an enemy quickly as well as making an escape to a more hidden location. Domino may end up coming across as overpowered once fully upgraded as with it you can take out up to four enemies in one move. Apart from Dark Vision at base rank I haven't taken any of the other powers yet. 

Mission 3: I can't really say much about this mission without plot spoilers so suffice to say that I really enjoyed it. I managed to find everything on this one (well not all coins but I've never managed that in any Dishonored level).

Mission 4: This is the clockwork mansion one seen in pre-release material, though I'm still trying to get inside right now. Quite looking forward to this one especially. 

Will update again later.
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 6:02am
From what I've been able to play of Dishonored 2, it's a great game. Perhaps even better than the first.

But the launch of the game has been so botched that the PC my husband and I use for games can't handled it most of the time. It's not a top range machine any more, but it is running a GTX 970, so it's over min spec, but this performance is outrageous. The game obviously wasn't ready for release.

I've stopped playing for now to see what this promised patch does for performance, but at this moment I'm pretty pissed off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 94>
  Share Topic