Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 2:55am
I think the game has run more or less fine until the more recent patches, on PC at least. Some issues I did have along the way have been fixed such as the NPC pop-in and actual crashes to desktop have decreased by a whole lot and unlike most developers they actually listened when fans said certain romance aspects with Triss were lacking compared to the Yen romance path and added new content to the game (though it still feels more like the Yennefer show than about Geralt or Ciri to me).

They probably did that age old thing and tried to fix something that wasn't actually broken, which is what's resulted in this mess I have now. They actually released a mini patch yesterday but that doesn't seemt o have changed anything I'm having issue with. 

I so wish Steam gave you the option to roll back to an older patch. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 1:53pm
Been playing Fallout 4 a lot this last week or so. I think I'm addicted.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:46am
New Fallout 4 patch on Steam. Aside from fixes this patch added a feature where you can see which settlers have been assigned to a task and which haven't, which is an absolute Godsend. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 10:38am
I'm not playing anything new, just some retro games on emulators! Currently, playing Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for the GBA. This games feels incomplete, still love it though!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:46pm
Been a while since I've posted here. I'm currently playing Wolfenstein: The New Order, Shadow Warrior (current gen reboot), Dead Space (the original), Dying Light, and still a bit of Fallout 4. Big smile I haven't played much over the past few weeks, though... my college workload and band schedule leave little time for gaming.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:57pm
Been playing my second serious run of Fallout 4 a lot. My main settlement this time is Sanctuary but I'd really like to get a decent design done on every location available, which could take a while. 

One thing or rather NPC that really started to irk me about the Sanctuary settlement though was one of Preston's group from Concord, Marcy Long. Man do I ever despise this character. I get that her story is that she lost her child but I got news for her, the Sole Survivor is in the exact same boat. I hate the way she is always complaining about something and being rude. I also hate how she is hard-coded to only be able to live in Sanctuary. At least until I found a console command to change that. I shipped her off to Spectacle Island out the way. Cool

I call this screenshot Banished from Sanctuary (after the Blind Guardian song).

I also removed her essential status with the console though, which meant she walked right into a trio of roaming Super Mutants before she'd barely got past Red Rocket. Embarrassed

Edited by adg211288 - 09 Feb 2016 at 1:58pm
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:11pm
^Nothing better than killing off or harming characters you hate. Cool

As for me, I've been playing Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast which I bought at a thrift store recently. I'm really enjoying it, it's so much better than the awful first Jedi Knight game. My only complaint so far about it is that the way the levels are designed it's pretty easy to get lost. I've only gotten past the first two levels though, so hopefully the level design will improve a little bit on that front. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:48am
So my year old GTX 970 went wrong this weekend. Angry

Good news is that Amazon have agreed to take it back and have given a full refund for it, so I was able to purchase a new card. 970 again as because as much as I'd like one I can't really afford to go up to 980 or even 980 Ti (let alone Titan). Went with a different manufacturer though, EVGA instead of Palit. Apparently they have better warranty if things go wrong. New card looks like it has better fans too. 

I also got Rise of the Tomb Raider for free with the new card, which was pretty nice. Specs say I should be able to try it out before it arrives if I want to (I've returned by old GTX 650 Ti Boost to my machine as a temporary card), but I expect I'll wait until the 970 is here for better performance.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 3:17pm
Fallout 4 DLC news: https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4-add-ons-automatron-wasteland-workshop-far-harbor-and-more/2016/02/16/77
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

So my year old GTX 970 went wrong this weekend. Angry

Good news is that Amazon have agreed to take it back and have given a full refund for it, so I was able to purchase a new card. 970 again as because as much as I'd like one I can't really afford to go up to 980 or even 980 Ti (let alone Titan). Went with a different manufacturer though, EVGA instead of Palit. Apparently they have better warranty if things go wrong. New card looks like it has better fans too. 

I also got Rise of the Tomb Raider for free with the new card, which was pretty nice. Specs say I should be able to try it out before it arrives if I want to (I've returned by old GTX 650 Ti Boost to my machine as a temporary card), but I expect I'll wait until the 970 is here for better performance.

That sucks that your card already broke, but getting Rise of the Tomb Raider for free sounds great. Sadly, I won't have a PC capable of running it any time in the near future, so I'm stuck waiting a year for the PS4 version, because Xbox got it as a timed console exclusive Angry I believe my brother has a 980 Ti, and he showed me the game running on his PC and the graphics looked absolutely incredible.

The Fallout 4 DLC looks pretty cool so far. I'll probably try the robot one as soon as it's out, maybe hold off on the trap one until I do my non-idiot character (by that I mean, not play it until then: I technically paid for it already, since I bought the season pass), and obviously Far Harbor looks like the first full expansion, so I very much look forward to that.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 16 Feb 2016 at 4:59pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 5:09pm
Yeah I got my new card already and it looks great. I'm running on High with the 970 as it does actually warn that very high is only for the most top of the line cards with more than 4GB VRAM. I'm usually getting a smooth 60FPS with it but with some drops here and there, usually in cutscenes. Probably my usual problem though, my CPU is starting to lag behind the current tech. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 4:22pm
Rise of the Tomb Raider has been awesome so far, though my performance has taken a hit the further I get into it as some of the maps are really quite large. Actually I spent most of the time I played the game today on just the one map: the amount of things to find in comparison to TR2013's largest levels is just insane.

This is the checklist for the above level (I haven't found everything yet):

Tombs: 3
Optional Missions: 5
Challenges: 4
Strongboxes: 14
Crypt Treasure: 2
Relics: 18
Documents: 26
Murals: 12
Survival Caches: 21
Coin Caches: 9
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:41am
Some more Fallout 4 news: http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-modding-tools-arriving-april/?utm_content=buffere0b6a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamer

Updated survival mode sounds quite interesting. Sort of like hardcore mode in New Vegas maybe. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:47am
Oh and I beat Rise of the Tomb Raider by the way.

At this stage I can't say whether I enjoyed it more than the 2013 reboot because it mostly feels like a logical continuation. Systems are more developed with more options such as keeping every weapon you ever get instead of just upgrading to have one of each type (so different ones have different strengths and weaknesses such as higher damage but slower reloads, smaller clip sizes etc). You can also change Lara's outfit, some of which have bonuses although this area could have been developed a lot more I think as most special outfits have the same bonus (quicker delay before health regen). Lara can now craft some ammo types and heal on the fly so long as she has the correct items in her inventory, which is greatly expanded with multiple salvage types. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 4:31pm
So my new GPU was in my PC for a grand total of ten days before the whole system decided that it was time to start going wrong. Had an overheat this evening; PC fans going like crazy, CPU temp in excess of 75 degrees and thermal controller software throwing up errors. Cry I had been noticing a decreasing performance with gaming for several days now; lower FPS, stuttering and some really horrible flickering (which also happens on my old 650 Ti Boost GPU, so isn't a problem with my new 970 as I was fearing). 

This machine has served me quite faithfully with little problem since 2011, but I guess it's time to look at options for a new rig. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 2:41pm
My new rig is ordered. Had to drop over a grand on it though. 

This is the new spec that should be with me sometime after the next ten days. 

Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS
CPU: i7 6700k 
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: GTX 970 (to be fitted myself)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
HDD: 3TB
PSU: Corsair CX 750W

GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 1:14am
Sucks that your current PC died. Any idea what happened?

Your new setup looks pretty nice though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 1:51am
Not entirely.

The system was fine until my previous 970 went wrong but there was something strange there even after that was replaced. Someone on the Nvidia forums suggested the PSU was on the way out but I couldn't say for certain that that was the case. I know when I tried a couple of the games I was seeing graphics glitches in on my laptop that they don't appear whereas they did on my gaming desktop using different GPU's and different driver versions. It makes me wonder if something else in the system caused my original 970 to go wrong. I decided to stop using it just in case. 

I'd been wanting to upgrade the rig at some point anyway and was actually considering buying anew due to the system's age as the technology has moved on. Processor sockets are different on current gen motherboards so if I'd wanted to upgrade my i5 2500k I'd have needed to either search for an equally out of date part (at the time there was only one used on Amazon) or replace the entire motherboard. Since I'm not confident enough with taking computers to bits myself to do that I'd have needed to pay someone on top of that, and those costs add up, as I'd have replaced the PSU as well if only for peace of mind.  I'm keeping my replacement 970 to put in myself though so I saved a bit of money there. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 2:07am
Putting a PC together from scratch really isn't that hard. Any decent motherboard should come with a manual that tells you where to put everything. Probably the harder aspect of it is keeping track of all the components you need and making sure that everything is compatible. At least when you custom build through a website they will usually have filters that will stop you matching components that won't work together.

If your current PC really is unsalvageable perhaps practice taking it apart and then trying to put it back together. You'll want to have the proper equipment though. You can get away without using an anti-static map and wrist strap but I always think it's better to be safe rather than sorry.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 8:12am
I've been replaying some of my old Gamecube favourites while waiting for my PC to arrive. Just finished The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker yesterday and am now going through Twilight Princess. 

I was playing Skyward Sword on the Wii on and off as well but man do I ever despise the Wii control system. It does my arm in and I find it so touchy and often unresponsive. I'm generally shocked that Nintendo hasn't gone the way of Sega where consoles are concerned really. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 94>
  Share Topic