Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 1:03am
I didn't have any sort of peace gathering in episode 6 in my save. Maybe that's a difference between having Rodrik alive instead of Asher? 

Mira died in my save too. I kinda wanted her to live because I'd been playing her as someone who would do anything to survive, but it didn't feel right to betray Tom the coal boy who seems to be the only person in her storyline who has been 100% loyal to her the time. 

Do you know what pissed me off the most in the whole story though? I actually killed the Whitehills in an earlier episode but the game forced an unstoppable massacre of the Forrester's as well, which resulted in a game over.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 1:13am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I didn't have any sort of peace gathering in episode 6 in my save. Maybe that's a difference between having Rodrik alive instead of Asher? 

Yeah, that might be it. Well basically, what I mean by that is I invited Ludd Whitehill to come over for a dinner at Ironrath, to "discuss peace terms"...... Then we planned to poison him with wine! Because of course, poisoning people at dinner is how they do things in Westeros. Plan backfired, somewhat, when he refused to take it, so I can't remember her name but Lady Forrester had to drink first and so both of them ended up dying. Still worth it to kill Ludd, imo. Then I should have been able to kill Gryff as well, but something totally cheap happened to rip me off (automatically, of course: I was smoking him in the parts where I had control) and that's another thing that got me upset that they were just stalling things out for season 2. In fact, I should have been able to kill him back in episode 4, when I was beating the shit out of him, but obviously the game had to take things completely out of my hands back then as well.

Do you know what pissed me off the most in the whole story though? I actually killed the Whitehills in an earlier episode but the game forced an unstoppable massacre of the Forrester's as well, which resulted in a game over. 

Yeah, I had that happen as well. Yet another thing I didn't like. Actually, my brother, who's an even bigger GoT/ASoIaF fan than I am, gave up on the series after episode 4 and I think that may have been part of it, because he was really upset that they didn't "have the balls" to let you go through getting some of your  characters killed to have Ludd and some other Whitehills killed. I agree, and that's part of the problem with Telltale doing something like Game of Thrones, because unpredictable things can happen in that series, so robbing you of the ability to create dynamic moments that don't fall into what the developer wants kind of ruins it, imo. But I think I've complained about Telltale enough for one lifetime already, lol!

Edited by DippoMagoo - 20 Nov 2015 at 1:19am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 2:05am
Elissa Forrester still died in my game only she got stabbed during the unwinnable battle, which also resulted in Elaena Glenmore being dragged off to an unknown fate while Rodrik reaches out helplessly for her, Maester Ortengryn dying (off-screen), along with just about everyone else at Ironrath. Talia, Ryon, Duncan and Beska are the only ones who definitely survived. Rodrik was alive at the end but heavily wounded. 

Ludd lived in my game by the way. I killed Griff as part of rescuing Ryon (which actually felt quite satisfying) but every time it seemed that I had a shot at Ludd as well something happened to prevent it. This pisses me off because I'd understand this kind of failure if I screwed up some of the QTE's, but I nailed them all perfectly in this sequence. 

Edited by adg211288 - 20 Nov 2015 at 2:06am
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:20am
Sounds like my game and Adam's played out the same or very close.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:00pm
Season 2 has officially been announced, btw. No surprise to any of us, I'm sure.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 20 Nov 2015 at 3:00pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 1:24am
^ I'd actually rather than announced Tales from the Borderlands Season 2 though!

In other news, just spotted this: http://www.pcgamer.com/steams-autumn-and-winter-sales-will-ditch-daily-deals-and-flash-sales/

Pretty good news if you ask me. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 1:39am
Yeah, I think at this point I'd be more likely to get another season of Tales from the Borderlands than Game of Thrones. I'm just not feeling to good about that one right now, and i just watched a guy stream his playthrough of the finale and he pretty much said what I've said all along, about how it feels like they made the decision to do a season 2 based on sales, rather than because it was necessary due to plot reasons, and so we ended up with a cheap hack job of finale that resolved barely anything. Meanwhile, I honestly think I would have been fine with the Borderlands finale, if it didn't remind me so much of the original Borderlands ending, which pissed everyone off at the time. It also helps in the latter case that it did resolve the main threads for the season, so it wasn't nearly as unforgivable as GoT.

I like that about the Steam sale as well. Actually, that helps me out because I kinda ran short on money this month due to several unexpected events, but I'll have extra next month and I just so happen to be getting money on the 30th, so now instead of possibly missing out on a flash deal, I can just check on day one to see if there's anything I really want, and plan my purchases ahead of time for the morning of the 30th. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:52am
Finished the Fallout 4 main quest a couple nights ago. My overall thoughts on the game remain as strong as ever, though I did end up getting a few glitches here and there, and when I got forced into doing a bit of settlement building late in the game, I wasn't too fond of it, Otherwise, though, I absolutely loved the game, and I'll definitely be playing through it again soon, with a much different build. 

As for the writing: I'd say the actual story is fairly generic and unremarkable, as usual, but there's a couple really interesting scenes, and a couple pretty big choices that were interesting. As always, the side quests tend to have better writing than the story, and the notes you find throughout various areas are usually worth reading for fun. For the most part, I found the actual missions within the main quest to be pretty awesome, and much better than in past Bethesda games. 

Started the Bloodborne DLC last night and it's been awesome, but playing on NG+ 2 I still can't even beat the first boss. This gets thrown around a lot and is often exaggerated, but I think fighting that boss on NG+ 2 might be the hardest thing I've ever done, so much so that I may have to give it up and level up one of my NG characters in order to clear the DLC.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 7:09am
^Beat it tonight. It was absolutely fantastic, as expected, and up there with the original Dark Souls DLC as my favorite ever, to seal the deal on what had already been my favorite game in the past 18 years. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:05am
I ended up getting Fallout 4 earlier than anticipated and have played about 10 hours so far. My impressions of the PC version so far:

It runs very smoothly. I don't actually meet all the requirements for recommended settings, but the game auto detected Ultra as the best settings for me and it runs like a charm. Smoother than Fallout 3 and New Vegas actually. 

Bethesda finally realized that rain shouldn't fall straight through solid structures, a problem I've had with all of their games since Morrowind.

I'm playing on the default normal difficulty setting and combat so far seems challenging but not frustratingly so. I've had a few tough fights but the only time I've been killed so far is when a car exploded right next to me during a gunfight. The gunplay itself is pretty satisfying so far. I like that thrown weapons such as grenades have their own key instead of being equipped in place of your normal weapon. I actually had a mod once for Fallout 3 that did this too. I wonder if Bethesda have learned something from the modding community here?

No crashes at all so far.

I was surprised to see access to power armour so early in the game, but the new way power armour operates balances that out nicely. 

There are a few minor annoyances though:

My weapon has disappeared in my hand several times already. Once my whole character disappeared. 

Sometimes textures do not load properly and look very blurry. This one may be because my drivers were not up to date. Just waiting to see if it happens again.

Certain aspects of the storyline(s) seem rather rushed. I've just done a couple of quests for them and I'm already in charge of the Minutemen, for example. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:09am
I just bought a second hand Nintendo Wii for £25. That included the machine and a stack of games as well as a bunch of accessories. Most of the games I was not interested in though there are a few that look interesting. I'll probably test the games I don't want and then stick those on ebay.

Only problem I've having with it is that the Wii controller seems absolutely ridiculous. There's probably a trick to get it to function better, but so far it's been pretty frustrating and unresponsive to motion commands (the batteries are good). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Finished the Fallout 4 main quest a couple nights ago. My overall thoughts on the game remain as strong as ever, though I did end up getting a few glitches here and there, and when I got forced into doing a bit of settlement building late in the game, I wasn't too fond of it, Otherwise, though, I absolutely loved the game, and I'll definitely be playing through it again soon, with a much different build. 

As for the writing: I'd say the actual story is fairly generic and unremarkable, as usual, but there's a couple really interesting scenes, and a couple pretty big choices that were interesting. As always, the side quests tend to have better writing than the story, and the notes you find throughout various areas are usually worth reading for fun. For the most part, I found the actual missions within the main quest to be pretty awesome, and much better than in past Bethesda games. 

I just beat the main quest after about 150 hours playtime. Could have done it a lot quicker I guess but I didn't even go to Nick Valentine's office until hours and hours in, just explored and did side quests. I ended up siding with The Railroad this time around, though I was sort of a double agent for them and the Brotherhood of Steel for a time. My choice ended up being based who I found more likable. Honestly there are likable enough characters in both factions, but I honestly couldn't stand Elder Maxson, which is what swung it. 

I haven't found the game to be a disappointment in the slightest but I do have a few gripes with it:

The 'help defend random settlement' misc objective seems to pop up at completely random times, often where it is completely inconvenient (such as being deep into a main quest mission - I got one while deep in the Glowing Sea looking for Virgil and one during the attack on the Institute). They can also auto fail pretty quick, as happened with the one I got while in the Glowing Sea, if you don't drop everything to prioritize it. Conversely they are also bugged, with an attack at said settlement sometimes never taking place once you arrive.

Minutemen radiant quests became a pain in the arse after a while since they too auto fail if you leave them too long, which I found out the hard way one time. Preston always has more to add to your quest log the second one is turned in also, so you can effectively get stuck in a vicious cycle. You can break this by simply not turning in the mission to Preston and it will eventually complete on its own, but you can't talk to Preston again without getting another repeat mission to do. Fortunately Preston isn't exactly an interesting companion. 

I enjoy settlement building a lot, though find it rather limited and not meeting its full potential. The snap into place feature can be both a big help but also a hindrance. 

While I enjoyed the actual premise of the story, main included, I think Bethesda could learn a lot from games like The Witcher 3 and Mass Effect for dialogues. It felt liken they were halfway there with Fallout 4 with the voiced protagonist, but the dialogues were nowhere near as engaging as they could have been. I wish the protagonist would sometimes respond to companion dialogue more - Piper and Nick (my usual companions of choice) are always commenting on something or other on our travels, yet the protagonist never responds to them. 

I often get the impression that the game is too bright - and there is no gamma setting. Companions often comment on areas being too dark to see in and ask for a light, but they're still bright as hell. This suggests that the game is meant to be a lot darker than it actually is. Hardly anywhere have I actually found the Pipboy light needed. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 1:57pm
I have almost exhausted the base game of Fallout 4, though it continues to be a lot of fun. I've just started a second character to get the last achievement I need which was locked out to me by siding against the Brotherhood of Steel the first time around. 

I like the settlement building a lot and will probably clock a lot more hours on my original save just doing that. I've built a few places that I'm kinda proud of but my favourite so far is my version of Red Rocket. Not sure it would really be structurally sound (but this is the post-apocalypse), but I like it. Still got some work to do though.

Oberland Station as well:

Edited by adg211288 - 20 Dec 2015 at 2:00pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 1:28pm
Steam sale is upon us once again...so naturally as per usual the site doesn't work. Almost one and a half hours now and still need been able to make a purchase. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 2:14pm
Same every six months, and it sucks this time too. Only half decent deal is The Witcher 3 at 50% off, and I already own that. Hardly any of the discounts are decent this time. Games that used to go to 75% off are sitting at 50%, some of then even at 25% or no discount at all.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 7:10am
I ended up buying a few interesting looking cheap titles as what then hell purchases and I also got the first Dark Souls to try, but unless I put my money down now for Fallout 4's season pass that may be my spend limit on this sale.

I did buy the latest Humble bundle as well. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 3:47pm

I also got the first Dark Souls to try

Played about 50 minutes so far. To be honest, I'm disappointed so far. I knew the game's reputation of being hard however so far the enemies I've faced haven't seemed that tough, it's just that the controls feel really, really clunky (I have the recommended Xbox 360 controller for it), which makes it harder than it seems like it should be. It's like there's a delay before anything happens, which is more than enough to get your HP decimated. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 4:56pm
Yeah, Dark Souls always feels clunky when you're first trying to learn it. The game definitely feels awkward at first, but once you get the timing down better it feels like you're in full control. You basically have to learn to press buttons about a split second before you want your character to do something, otherwise you may not get it off in time. The game takes a lot of practice to master, but I'd say to give it at least 5 hours to see if you can get into it, because I find most people who do get past the initial curve, get madly hooked on it (I've now played over 250 hours of Bloodborne, which is basically its spiritual successor, and that's the most time I've spent on any game over the last 2 console gens.) Looking at your achievments, it seems you at least got past Asylum Demon already, which is a good start, so it doesn't seem to be going too bad, so just keep at it and see how it goes.

Also, if you're experiencing fps issues, which I hear are common with that game, there's a mod you can get which fixes it, called dsfix. Sadly, I've heard the optimization for the Steam version is not so great. Dark Souls II, on the other hand, has excellent Steam optimization: I saw my brother playing it on his PC and it ran like a dream and looked quite nice as well.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 5:18pm
I need to make my decision in two hours of gameplay though, as that's the limit to get a Steam refund if I don't like it (which apparently is an acceptable reason to refund). I want to like it, of course, but that's a pretty small window to decide in, and I've used almost half of it already. It only cost £5 so it's not a major loss if I go over and end up not getting into it, but still that's £5 that could be spent on something else. 

So far the actual performance has been fine, though. Not sure what it's like in later areas. If I keep I'll probably install dsfix regardless. Speaking of performance, I did actually get one of the other games I bought refunded because of performance: Nether. It had mixed reviews so I knew I was taking a chance, but it was literally under £1.50. However after the first 15 minutes (which were also boring by the way) I'd had enough. My rig was well above spec, but the framerate was awful. Really not smooth at all.

Back to Dark Souls;

Asylum Demon was a strange enemy IMO. When it first appears the game basically tells me to run away from it, which is good advice as it thrashes me before I can make a dent. Later it seems to have suddenly got a lot weaker and loses half its health just from a drop down attack when you appear above it. It still took me a couple of goes to kill, but it didn't get into frustrating territory. 

I think my problem as well may be because I don't normally use the controller unless I have to and I've got quite used to the Witcher 3's combat, where has a very different attack configuration, that I end up trying to press X to attack and end up drinking a potion instead. Potions seem kinda useless mid-fight to me, as they seem to just open you up to attack rather than providing any real benefit. 

I've played a bit of Life is Strange episode one as well today and enjoying that one so far. Not sure how long the episodes are in this, but I can see me wanting the rest of the game ASAP. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 6:30pm
Healing in Dark Souls can be tough to pull off, yeah. You generally need to make sure you're safely out of the reach of any attacks before you attempt to heal. If you just take a hit and try to heal immediately without moving, you're basically screwed. And yeah, those games have a unique control scheme, but at this point it's become second nature to me and I actually prefer it over most control schemes. The real trick for me is adjusting between Bloodborne and Dark Souls, which have a couple slight differences. I may try healing in DSIII when I first start it, only to end up two handing my weapon instead (I certainly had the opposite happen a lot when I first started Bloodborne.)

Episodes of Life is Strange tend to be around 2.5-3.5 hours, give or take. Ep 3 is slightly shorter, and ep 4 by far the longest. It depends on how much you explore/talk to other characters as well as how long it takes you to solve puzzles. I enjoyed that game a lot, and greatly prefer it over any recent Telltale games.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 23 Dec 2015 at 6:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 94>
  Share Topic