Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 4:24am
Beat two PS4 exclusives recently: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and Until Dawn The former was a really cool first-person exploration game, with little gameplay but it had a really good plot that you had to explore around and find clues in order to fully make sense of. Aside from some weird control issues, it was pretty awesome. 

Until Dawn, though..... Holy shit! I actually yelled that out at the end of my playthrough, the last sequence was that intense! Basically, it feels like the developers took a classic slasher flick and turned it into a playable game, and it's absolutely fantastic. The plot is great and I feel I have a ton of stuff left to find when I re-play it this weekend, but what really makes it work is that you have 8 playable characters, and failing even one QTE or making one wrong decision can sometimes be enough to get them permanently killed, and so especially in the second half, every sequence is incredibly intense, and this is probably the first QTE heavy game I played where I was actually scared of failing anything, and really enhanced the experience. That last sequence was so tense, I thought for sure I was gonna blow it, so Needless to say I went absolutely crazy when I managed to pull it off. It also has these really cool sequences where it says "don't move" and in order to pass you have to hold the controller completely still the whole time. Unfortunately I did get half the characters killed off, but that just leaves room for improvement on my next go. I've been disappointed lately with the lack of horror games that actually make you feel nervous and at least somewhat tense, if not actually frightened, and this game certainly delivered.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 10:20am
Until Dawn sounds pretty cool. Shame it's an exclusive. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture I'm just a bit pissed about though, as it was meant to be a PC game originally before the dev cut a deal with Sony and the 'PC exclusive' was cancelled in favour of a PS4 exclusive. It looked pretty interesting. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 1:30pm
Just got the Telltale Game of Thrones and Borderlands games. Humble Bundle is doing a pretty great deal on Telltale stuff. I got these plus the 400 days DLC for The Walking Dead for under £10 the lot (Game of Thrones alone is actually more than that to buy).
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 2:25pm
I've found a 17 year old (original!) copy of Fallout 1 among my old CDs and am slowly replaying it. I don't really have time to play long and with this old-school - more or less useless - journal (no handholding whatsoever in this game, oh noo!) it's a real challenge to even remember what to do next in a quest ;d

Still, it's amazing how groundbreaking this game was back in the day and how fresh it still looks today. I've played Fallout New Vegas and it was great but there's something about the original Fallouts (and some other isometric cRPGS) that make them absolutely peerless. I think it's the fact it retains some of the spirit of original, pen&paper RPGs - it stimulates your imagination. Something that the newer games with their crazy detailed FPP graphics can't recreate. 

Also, the setting they've created for this game is just so fucking awesome that it almost hurts. Not to mention how bold it is. Compare the anti-capitalist, irony-fueled and multi-dimensional narrative of Fallout games with the bullshit-fueled, pro-army, pro-war propaganda of Call of Duty and Battlefield games.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

I've found a 17 year old (original!) copy of Fallout 1 among my old CDs and am slowly replaying it. I don't really have time to play long and with this old-school - more or less useless - journal (no handholding whatsoever in this game, oh noo!) it's a real challenge to even remember what to do next in a quest ;d

Still, it's amazing how groundbreaking this game was back in the day and how fresh it still looks today. I've played Fallout New Vegas and it was great but there's something about the original Fallouts (and some other isometric cRPGS) that make them absolutely peerless. I think it's the fact it retains some of the spirit of original, pen&paper RPGs - it stimulates your imagination. Something that the newer games with their crazy detailed FPP graphics can't recreate. 

Also, the setting they've created for this game is just so fucking awesome that it almost hurts. Not to mention how bold it is. Compare the anti-capitalist, irony-fueled and multi-dimensional narrative of Fallout games with the bullshit-fueled, pro-army, pro-war propaganda of Call of Duty and Battlefield games.

I still really need to try the Fallout series, both the older ones and the new ones sound good.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 2:43pm
^ I haven't played Fallout 3 but I guess all of those games (I mean F1, 2, 3 and NV) are worth playing, preferably in chronological order :) 
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 6:01pm
Fallout 3 and New Vegas are two of my all-time favorite games. Absolutely give them a shot if you can! Smile I started playing the first game around a year ago, but didn't get more than a few hours in before getting stuck and eventually forgetting about the game. I ought to give it another effort at some point. 
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are two of my all-time favorite games. Absolutely give them a shot if you can! Smile I started playing the first game around a year ago, but didn't get more than a few hours in before getting stuck and eventually forgetting about the game. I ought to give it another effort at some point. 
buy the first game do you mean fallout 1?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 11:50am
Been playing some Wheel of Time, and I'm at a part in the game where they simply throw too many enemies at you. On one end I've got enemies that need the spirit shield, and others that you can just use normal shield. Not only do I have to keep switching shields, but I have limited weaponry as well and some enemies will only die by Fireball.

Can't stand it when games do this, looks like I'll be stuck for a while.  
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 5:12pm
Yeah, that kind of thing can drive me crazy sometimes. I occasionally get annoyed with the Batman Arkham games, for example, because there's several different enemy types each require specific tactics (dodging backwards to counter a knife attack, jump attacks to knock down shield guys, power combos to deal with big armored guys, using one of your sub weapons to deal with guys who use electrical sticks, etc.) and sometimes when you have to fight huge groups of enemies with all these types throw in at once, it get pretty damn annoying. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Yeah, that kind of thing can drive me crazy sometimes. I occasionally get annoyed with the Batman Arkham games, for example, because there's several different enemy types each require specific tactics (dodging backwards to counter a knife attack, jump attacks to knock down shield guys, power combos to deal with big armored guys, using one of your sub weapons to deal with guys who use electrical sticks, etc.) and sometimes when you have to fight huge groups of enemies with all these types throw in at once, it get pretty damn annoying. 

It also doesn't help that it's nighttime in the level I'm at, so it's difficult to see where the enemies are coming from. Seems like a difficulty spike too, because the last level was challenging but never overwhelming.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:03am
Yeah there's nothing wrong with a bit of challenge in a game but it should never reach a point where it ceases to be fun. I've played games with seemingly random difficultly spikes too. One that sticks in my mind is chapter 1 of the Witcher 2, when you have to fight Letho. I find that fight insanely hard even on normal compared to the rest of the chapter. Oh and of course Borderlands Pre Sequel#s Claptrap DLC. 

I played through episodes one and two of Tales from the Borderlands yesterday, and a little bit into episode three. Plot wise this has actually become my favourite Borderlands game. It makes me wish the main series had more engaging dialogue. A game that kept the FPS gameplay but switched to 3rd person cutscenes with branching dialogue paths would be pretty awesome, I think. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:46pm
Finished Tales from the Borderlands episode 4. Well...holy shit is pretty suitable expression. I'm not going to spoil it here for those who haven't played it but so far the game felt like a great tie in with the main series, but played it fairly safe with characters from the main series, but they killed someone off in this episode that I didn't see coming. Shocked
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 6:25pm
Yeah, that episode 4 death was pretty surprising, though I thought it was handled quite well. I'm a bit shocked Gearbox allowed them to do that, though, as I would have expected that character to show up in a possible Borderlands 3 for sure. 

I actually think their Borderlands series may be their best so far, or at least up there with season one of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. It's been their most consistently entertaining release in quite a while. For some reason I really didn't like season 2 of The Walking Dead so much, and so far with one episode left, their Game of Thrones series has fallen far short of my expectations.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 11:11am
I started the Game of Thrones series last night and though I am enjoying it so far it's not been as immediately grabbing as Tales from the Borderlands. I really need to go back and do The Walking Dead games too. The furthest I've ever got was season one episode 3. A fresh Skyrim run got in the way of my first go and then on my second I didn't even finish episode 1 again due to The Witcher 3's release (which by the way even 379 hours clocked I'm still discovering stuff I haven't found before). Tales from the Borderlands has really got me into Telltale's style though so I expect I'll be giving The Walking Dead games (I own both) a serious go soon. Right now though I'm off to have another crack at Game of Thrones. I'm on chapter 5 of episode 1 so far. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 1:04pm
The end of episode 1 of Games of Thrones - another holy shit moment! Not sure if what happened was always going to happen or I screw up, but either way it's made me fully invested in the game now.

One negative thing I do have to say though: the graphics seriously suck. And I mean badly. I know that telltale's are typically lower spec games but this is ridiculous. I've read that they were going for a 'living oil painting' look but I got news for them: it doesn't work! 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:50am
^Yeah, I really don't like the graphics in that game at all. The overall art style can work at times, and I don't mind it so much with the original characters they added, but some of the actual GoT characters look way off, especially Margaery (her facial expressions just don't look right at all.) I think Tales From the Borderlands has their best graphics, and that's because they just used the normal Borderlands graphics for it. 

As for the end of the first episode: It happens no matter what you do. In fact, one that's really been bothering me about Telltale lately is that they hype up their games as having meaningful choices that are supposed to make each playthrough feel different, but playing all of their games through multiple times, I find that's almost always total bull, and for the most part events happen the same way no matter what you do. In fact, in episode 4 of that series, I gave two totally different responses in one key scene that I figured would have led to different things happening, but not only was that not the case, the response I got was literally the exact same line both times! Basically, the choices don't do much at all, especially compared to something like Until Dawn, where from about the midway point on I saw quite a few different things happen on my second playthrough, and it was awesome.

I just started Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain tonight. The intro mission was fantastic, and the first open world mission was pretty cool as well, though I need to get better at being stealthy if I choose to use that approach in other missions. I'm hoping the game lives up to all the hype, because it likely is the end of the series, and possibly the for Hideo Kojima as well, who happens to be one of my favorite developers in the gaming industry. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 01 Sep 2015 at 4:55am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:56am
I guess the end of episode one is simply there to shock the player and show how brutal the Game of Thrones world really is. 

My biggest problem with the graphics is the way they blur and distort so much, though the characters are certainly pretty poor. Ramsay also doesn't look quite right to me either. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:06am
Finished Game of Thrones episode 5, now waiting on the last one. Kinda gutted over the end of episode 5 to be honest though!

I've enjoyed it a lot so far, though I think Tales from the Borderlands has been the stronger game. I think I'll tackle season 1 and 2 of The Walking Dead next. 

Edited by adg211288 - 01 Sep 2015 at 1:36pm
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 1:48pm
I like Telltale's Game of Thrones. It's the best Game of Thrones game for me. I've tried all three and found the other two quite lacking. I never got very far with them.

So who did you choose to stay at the end of episode 5? I was pretty torn but ending up choosing Asher.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 94>
  Share Topic