Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 4:51pm
I've ignored Gwent so far. Played the very first game in the White Orchard tavern and didn't like it.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 6:23pm
^Yeah, same for me. I almost never like card games in RPG's, for some reason. I somewhat liked the one in KOTOR, and I think that's about it. I did do all the horse races and fist fighting tournaments, though. In fact, Gwent and some of the treasure hunts were basically the only side quests I didn't do.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 2:44am
I'm a competitionist. Especially regarding achievements. The only two Witcher 3 achievements I need now and the ones for completely on the higher difficulties. Which I am attempting; very slow going playthrough. 

There was a card game in KOTOR?

Either I've blanked it's existence or somehow completely missed it when I played. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 2:49am
Yeah, it was basically a glorified version of Blackjack, except that each round you could use a certain amount of special cards that added or subtracted from your score. I guess I tend to prefer simpler card games, where Gwent and some of the others I've encountered are too complex for me to want to waste time with, especially in such a huge game like The Witcher 3, when there's so much more enjoyable stuff I can be doing.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 5:53pm
pazaak
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 6:10pm
Gwent isn't all that hard to understand really, the problem is getting cards to actually build a decent deck is a pain as most cards, especially the most powerful ones, and prizes for winning games of Gwent. 
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 7:59pm
I've just finished Shadow Warrior. Really cool game, the story and dialogues especially are very well put together. Boss fights are a bit of a drag on hard difficulty but core gameplay is great and demanding in an old school way. Awesome experience overall, glad the game did well enough for them to announce a sequel.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 12:51pm
Gwent is probably a better addition to the game than dice poker was, at least. But I don't see myself trying to learn it anytime soon. I still have a ton of side quests, contracts and treasure hunts to as well as the rest of the main quest.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 5:04pm
^ Dice poker in the previous games was actually rigged. Not sure Gwent isn't to a point either, at least I've never played game of it where the NPC didn't have his or her best cards in their actual hand. 

Only card game that exists within an RPG I actually tend to play is Caravan in Fallout New Vegas. Mind you it bugs out at times, enforcing a loss when I played what should have been a game winning card on several occasions. 

Oh and I finished up Metro Last Light Redux this week, first in Spartan mode then in Survivor Mode. They're not all that different. In Survival you get the original watch from 2033 back, can carry 10 minutes less in gas mask filters (each filter runs out a lot faster too) and generally have access to less ammo, though you should still have more than enough if you plan your gameplay accordingly. In fact I ran dry on ammo more on Spartan than Survivor and some fights seemed a lot easier. 

Out of my other recent purchases I've thrown in the towel with DreadOut, which is probably the most disappointing game I've played in a while. The premise isn't bad if a bit cliche for a horror, but the execution of the game is pretty bad IMO. Just to start with for a 2014 title the graphics look awful, especially scenery textures, even when playing on Ultra quality. The game camera has a tendency to, how can I describe this, I suppose 'twitch' is the best description, when you move through some doors, which sometimes results in getting completely turned around (not helpful when trying to escape something nasty). Your main source of light is a camera phone which the protagonist moves about of her own volition all the time rather than pointing it where you want it to. Collectibles are completely impossible to see most of the time and are usually found quite by accident. The game punishes you for dying (or rather getting sent to Limbo) by not enforcing a reload, but forcing you to run into the light each time at a really sluggish pace, with the light getting farther and farther away each time you die, while all that time the game starts displaying immersion breaking messages such as 'thank you for purchasing a legal copy of DreadOut' or 'You've been playing a long time, consider taking a break' and other crap. The final straw was this really irritating boss with a pair of scissors that seems to need 100% perfect timing to beat. Combat in the game is basically just taking pictures of the ghosts (I guess the camera flash hurts them) which means having the camera raised. Movement is slowed to a crawl with the camera up so evading attacks isn't easy. If the boss hits you you'll lose control of the character for a moment, which also lowers the camera, while the boss continues to deal damage. The boss requires completely accurate pictures to suffer damage itself, after which it randomly reappears somewhere else within the very small room, so it probably kills you before you see it coming again. Then of course you're back in Limbo with a bit further to run to get back into the game proper again.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 6:00pm
^That last game you mentioned sounds awful, lol! I'd probably die a whole bunch and then give up out of frustration very quickly, based on that description. I'm considering getting at least one of the Metro Redux games on PS4 at some point, though I'm not entirely sure I'd like them. 

Still mainly playing Arkham Knight. It has all the strengths of previous Arkham games, and I find the side missions much easier to track compared to the previous games, but the tank battles started pissing me off to the point where I had no choice but to switch to easy, just to avoid getting frustrated to the point of quitting the game. I like everything else, though, even the high speed chase missions with the batmobile, which I find to be much more generous and forgiving compared to similar sequences in games like GTA or Saints Row.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 08 Jul 2015 at 6:01pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 1:33am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I'm considering getting at least one of the Metro Redux games on PS4 at some point, though I'm not entirely sure I'd like them. 

They are quite story orientated so you should go for 2033 if you go for either. 2033 Redux is greatly improved over the original, especially if you play in Spartan mode which updates gameplay to the Last Light standards, which also makes stealth approaches easier to maintain if that's more your speed than running and gunning. One big different I forgot to mention between Spartan and Survival modes is that stealth is pretty unforgiving on Survival. One false move and enemies tend to spot you all that much faster and get more suspicious whereas on Spartan they take a moment to register that something's not right. 

The original Last Light is still my top game for 2013, even edging out Bioshock Infinite as an FPS IMO, so I can highly recommend the series. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:16pm
Just finished playing the Reason of State quest in The Witcher 3. Considering how much I hate a certain character from the game that quest was pretty satisfactory for me.

My current main quest is Final Preparations so I presume I'm at the point of no return. Going to finish up everything else now before I move on.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

My current main quest is Final Preparations so I presume I'm at the point of no return. Going to finish up everything else now before I move on.

Despite the name, that's not actually the point of no return. You're safe to complete it, if you want. There's still a bit more to do (and even then you can play after the main quest and still have most unfinished side quests available (some will fail as the main quest progresses, but it sounds like you've done the major one that will)). 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:51pm
OK thanks. Will probably still just go side quests and explore for a bit though. I still need to find the crafting diagrams for my mastercrafted Witcher gear before I move on to the end game, whenever that comes.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:53pm
What School's gear are you using? I have Wolf school on my current save (can't believe Geralt's own school's gear wasn't in the base game to be honest). I used Griffin on my last game. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:57pm
I'm using Griffin gear since I use Signs a lot. Might have gone for Wolf but I'd already started my Griffin set when that DLC was released, so I'll save that for a second playthrough.

How is The Long Dark going by the way, I can see from your Steam bar that you're still playing it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 5:12pm
Yeah, still playing The Long Dark on and off. My run is up to I think 42 days now. It nearly came to an end this week though because I got over confident and decided to pick a fight with a bear. I'd already killed one bear last week without a problem. Shot it and it started running. I cursed that it had got away but then saw the blood trail, so I tracked and eventually found it and finished it. 

The second time though went a bit different. Shot the bear again, but this time instead of running away this one charged me and started to maul. For some reason it didn't kill me. My character struggled up, health down from 100% to 8% after the attack. My clothing was ripped to shreds and its freezing cold. I'm bleeding and getting warnings about risk of infection. My character mutters resignedly 'think this might be the end'. I hobble into a nearby fishing hut, thankful I am carrying medical supplies to clean the wounds and stop the bleeding. Once that's down I make a fire and huddle up in my bedroll as a blizzard has rolled in and my clothing is no longer up to scratch. I'm also a whole region away from my base where all my repair supplies are. 

I have to stay there the night because of the weather. Come morning I've healed a bit. The weather has cleared but it's still below freezing. I decide to make a run for it back to base. As I leave my meager shelter I noticed this dark lump in the distance. It's the bear that nearly killed me. It's dead. Somehow I emerged the victor in our struggle. I take it's pelt for crafting then leg it back to base. 

Haven't gone far from my base after this incident. It really quite rattled me. I highly recommend the game if you're interested in it. I took a chance on it since it was Early Access but I don't regret it one bit (unlike DreadOut for example, which I paid much less for). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 4:16pm
Dishonored 2 news: http://www.pcgamer.com/playing-dishonored-2-as-emily-will-be-all-new/

If I'm reading what they're saying right, specifically where it says Emily has her own assassinations, then I'm thinking maybe both Emily and Corvo have their own unique plots. That would be good I think, especially if they're interwoven well. Might be interesting trying to play one as a low chaos style and the other as a high chaos style and seeing how it affects things.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 2:46am
I needed a break from the annoying tank battles in Arkham Knight, so I decided to play The Order: 1886, and unfortunately it was a perfect example of how to take a promising concept and amazing presentation, and completely ruin it with poor gameplay, poor writing, and just plain terrible design choices in every possible way (the QTE"s and overly strict trial and error stealth sequences are particularly awful, while even the plot leaves behind way too many loose ends for it to even be considered decent.) Hell, even the graphics aren't as great as they could have been because half your damn screen gets cut off by the stupid letterboxes they used to give the game a "cinematic" feel. Easily the worst major hyped up game of this console gen, so far.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 5:10am
Oh man I hate it when game devs think the whole cinematic thing is a good idea. It's a video game damn it, not a movie. 

I hate games that use film grain too. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 94>
  Share Topic