Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:19am
First graphic bug I found in The Witcher 3:

Game was patched again today and graphics have been glitching in funny ways ever since. Dead
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:55pm
Yeah, it seems early patches for new releases are almost as likely to cause new problems as they are to fix old ones, lol. 

As my final test before deciding whether or not I'll get the game, I was able to try it out on my brother' PC for around 3 hours, and I definitely liked it a lot more than the second game, from what I played. Obviously the graphics are the best part of it (and as a sidenote, I find it ridiculous that player complaints were apparently bad enough to force CDPR to make a comment about "degrading", because to me it looks absolutely stunning in motion), but I also really like exploring the first area, both due to the side content and the overall immersion. Definitely way better than the swamp from Witcher 2. I also really liked the one monster contract I took on ("Devil in the Well", I think it was called.) They did a really good job of getting you invested in the backstory behind it, instead of just making you fight a generic monster and collect your quest exp. I hope there's a lot more quests like that one.

Combat seems pretty good, as well, definitely better than I remember 2 being. I even managed to kill a wraith, though that's partly because I gained enough exp to reach level 2, and because I found a way to enhance my weapon for a minute period, so that made the fight much easier. So yeah, at this point I definitely will be getting the game next Friday, which will likely mean waiting a week or two for Arkham Knight, since I doubt I'll finish this game in 3 and 1/2 weeks. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 21 May 2015 at 9:08pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 2:19am
Yeah I remember something about a Skyrim patch causes dragons to fly backwards or something like that. 

I think the people complaining about a downgrade on the Witcher 3's graphics set their expectations unreasonably high. The game looks bloody fantastic as it is but I supposed they'd prefer a laggy mess so long as it looked better than real life or something. That original trailer is like two years old. Anyone complaining obviously doesn't know a thing about game development. Despite the best of intentions sometimes what you want to do just will not work. 

You'll find quite a lot of monster contracts in the game by the way and they all seem to require some sort of investigation to find out what you're dealing with, which should let you know how to prepare to dispatch them. One thing I'm leaning about the combat is that you need to rely on potions, oils and signs a lot more (wraiths in particular are not much easier to deal with if you cast Yrden first). Some play out different than you may expect as well and end up triggering new questlines (minor spoiler, I was sent to clear a manor out of monsters but when I got there found it had already been done and was being used as a hideout by a returning character from the second game).

One new thing about combat I do find pretty useless though is the crossbow. Does hardly any damage and is difficult to hit fast enemies with anyway. Only time it helped me was with flying enemies divebombing Geralt; a well timed hit caused it to miss and crash and allow me to attack with my sword again. 

My biggest gripe though is that I still feel some disconnection from the story of the second game, the ending I imported at least. My ending was this: Roche's path, saved Triss, spared Letho. Last Roche is seen in that ending he's trying to escape Loc Muinne with Anaïs La Valette and has been declared a criminal. Vernon is in the third game too but there is absolutely no mention of these events and no sign of Anaïs. Saving Triss also prevents the witch hunt at the end of the second game, but it still happens in the Witcher 3 despite that. The game is well written, but in such a way that it feels like everything you did up until this point meant nothing. 
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 4:25am
Exactly. Also, what rigs do these guys have that they expected to run a game looking like that smoothly? I've seen some benchmarks and it's clear that The Witcher 3 is extremely taxing for high-end GPUs even the way it looks now. And it looks good enough ;)

I'm glad that the crossbow is just an addition, witchers don't use crossbows in the books so I think its limited usefulness was intended. 

I think preventing a witch hunt would not be something Geralt would be capable of in the books anyway (it's a damn dark world, full of hatred and untamed prejudice, after all) but judging by what you say, the choices could have had more impact.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 5:05am
Well, as far as the choices go, I think it comes back to something CDPR has been saying for a while now: The game is meant to appeal to far more players than the first two games, which is obviously a double-edged sword, because on the one hand someone like me who's relatively new can get into it much easier, but on the other hand it does seems like they made some sacrifices with the continuity that veterans won't exacty be thrilled with. It's just a matter of them struggling to find that proper balance between appealing to new gamers, while also satisfying longtime fans. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 8:11am
The thing is the things I'm seeing in the game would make more sense for some of the other endings of the second game, to the point that I actually wonder if the save import in the game is bugged and I have a world state that was imported wrong. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 1:26pm
Just hit my first game-breaker in the Witcher 3: I completely lost the ability to switch between Witcher signs.
GG2U

powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 3:32pm
I don't have the game yet, decided to wait a little longer for bugs to be sorted out (waited this long already so what's a few more months now?).

One thing I'd like to know is what returning characters are in the game (especially from the first one)? Really hoping for Kalkstein, one of the more memorable characters from the first game.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:36am
I guess that counts as minor spoilers but aside from characters that have been in every game and ones that are in trailers (such as Geralt's brother Witchers) I've only seen one character from the first game who wasn't in the second: Thaler. 

Was hoping for Kalkstein too but sorry to say that won't be happening. I'll let you play the game yourself to find out why. 
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 3:28pm
awesome vid
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:12am
Think I'm nearing the climax of The Witcher 3, just finishing up leftover side quests to make sure I'm fully prepared for the end game (trying to unlock mastercraft level gear, but I need to find the crafting diagrams first, which isn't proving easy in some cases). Despite a few niggling issues and crashes, this is easily the best RPG I've played in a while and I highly recommend it. One thing I don't like too much is this Gwent mini-game. Dice poker from the previous two games could be tedious, especially seeing as it was rigged, but I do kinda miss it. Maybe someone will mod it back in. 
GG2U

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:34am
I got the Star Wars 2015 pack on Steam for the May 4th sale. I've already beaten Unleashed 1, started Unleashed 2, and beaten the vanilla Empire at War. The pack did include the gold version of EaW so now I have to beat the expansion campaign as well. Made me remember how much I love Star Wars.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:22pm
Empire at War was a damn fun game back in the day
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:10pm
I completed The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt yesterday.

And have already started a second game to attempt to get a different ending. Can't say I was totally satisfied with how the story panned out the first time. It wasn't really a bad ending but it didn't feel completely good either (though with this series maybe that was the point). 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:27pm
Finally beat Medal of Honor, really awesome, although I thought the ending could have been a bit stronger. Still need to get all the medals though.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 6:36am
Played about 10 hours of The Witcher 3 over the weekend, and it's been awesome so far.  The open world reminds me a lot of Dragon Age Inquisition, except the areas mostly seem to be a bit bigger, and there probably won't be as many of them. But it's set up in the same way. I obviously don't care about disconnections with previous games, but so far I'm liking the plot quite a bit, and it looks like it's picking up, now that I beat the first story boss and reached the second map.

Combat has been good so far, much better than I expected. Actually, watching other people fight the first boss on the same difficulty as me ("Swords and Story", or something like that) I seem to have handled it much better than most, so that makes me feel better, after I managed to get myself killed twice by the same group of bandits within the first two hours. In fact, I haven't died since then: Even managed to take out a group of level 7-11 bandits in the second open world, and only took one hit. That one was particularly satisfying. I seem to play more aggressive and use Igni more than most people, and that has been working well. Aird and Quen have been working for me as well, but Axii and Yrden I almost never use so far, except against wraiths, for the latter. 

I've encountered a couple glitches, but that's to be expected in a big game like this, so it doesn't bother me anymore. So far, I've had one quest bug out so that even though I did everything in it, the quest is marked incomplete because it got stuck on the first objective, plus one quest where I had to redo a fight (actually that one with level 7-11 bandits, and it went slightly worse the second time, but still well enough) because a key wouldn't spawn. 

One thing I really like so far is how the sidequests feel more interconnected than in most games. Even some of the ? locations contribute to the lore, at least in the first area, and the first contract I did connected with quite a few other quests, which was pretty neat. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 01 Jun 2015 at 6:48am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 7:29am
I use Axii in combat sometimes (invest in it to turn enemies onto your side), but it's most useful I think in dialogues. I use Quen the most, before every fight really. On my second game I'm only investing in Signs though, and I'm finding the combat easier for that and have beat several enemies with skulls signs above them with a bit of patience. 

As for game areas, there are five: White Orchard, which is basically just for prologue/tutorial purposes (hence the smaller size); Velen/Novigrad (the first main area, looks like two regions on the map but is actually one), Skellige (second main area, one large island and several smaller ones all in the same worldspace; expect to do a fair bit of sailing unless you prefer to fast travel, which I don't very often), Vizima (it's just the royal palace sadly, was hoping to revisit it properly) and finally there's Kaer Morhen, where Geralt's dream sequence takes place and you get to revisit after the first quest arc of the game. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 4:54am
Another Witcher 3 graphics bug:

GG2U

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Empire at War was a damn fun game back in the day

Still is
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 3:20pm
Fallout 4 has (finally) been officially announced. Hug
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 94>
  Share Topic