Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:57pm
^ I don't see how that would change anything. Valve made this possible. If they care about modders so much, why not allow donations directly through Steam?

You really don't see how corrosive all that is? Maybe some of those you call outrage-whores are actually people who give a shit about the way we are treated by companies these days? And if the way they've been treating us is not alarming to you, then I don't know what would have to happen to change your mind.

Valve makes returning a game that doesn't work almost impossible. You gave them money so who cares, right? You can't exchange games you didn't download. You have to pay a full retail price for the right to play the game, not for the game itself. 

They're masters at making you feel like you're treated fair while you're screwed over on the fundamental level. DRM, even the way it works on Steam, is wrong. And the sad thing is that we no longer see it that way. As long as they don't stoop as low as EA, they're just wonderful.  

Edited by bartosso - 27 Apr 2015 at 3:14pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:32pm
I know people like to bash EA, but I've personally never had any real problem with them. It's a minor annoyance to have to use Origin as well as Steam and not have my games library in one place, but I prefer that than the Ubisoft situation where they still sell via Steam and still enforce the use of UPlay, which is a piece of shit software in my opinion that has blocked me from playing single player games because of problems on their end and not mine. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 12:27am
GG2U

powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 2:43am
Great that Valve and Bethesda actually listened instead of just turning a blind eye to the uproar this caused, but queue a whole new uproar from mod authors who think they've now been shafted.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:12am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I know people like to bash EA, but I've personally never had any real problem with them. It's a minor annoyance to have to use Origin as well as Steam and not have my games library in one place, but I prefer that than the Ubisoft situation where they still sell via Steam and still enforce the use of UPlay, which is a piece of shit software in my opinion that has blocked me from playing single player games because of problems on their end and not mine. 

Where do I even start! But I guess the number 1 nemesis is Ubisoft right now. EA has much longer history of mischief than Ubisoft, even though Ubi's fuck-ups of recent years are even more spectacular. They raised the bar so high that even EA can't reach it. Uplay's one of the main reasons I don't play Ubisoft games at all. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Where do I even start! But I guess the number 1 nemesis is Ubisoft right now. EA has much longer history of mischief than Ubisoft, even though Ubi's fuck-ups of recent years are even more spectacular. They raised the bar so high that even EA can't reach it. Uplay's one of the main reasons I don't play Ubisoft games at all. 

Should probably bear in mind that I only use EA/Origin when forced to; the only games I have on there (at least the ones I count, I do grab their on the house titles no matter what it may be (well why not?), but I've never actually played any of them) are:

Mass Effect 2 & 3
Dead Space 3
Dragon Age 2

Originally posted by powermetal2000 powermetal2000 wrote:

Great that Valve and Bethesda actually listened instead of just turning a blind eye to the uproar this caused, but queue a whole new uproar from mod authors who think they've now been shafted.

Seen a bit of this already. I do sympathize, but then again they should have realized that suddenly trying to drop changes on the way the TES modding scene has worked (and worked reasonably well, a bit of drama aside) for years wasn't going to sit well with the crowd at large.

Do mod players do enough to make the mod authors feel appreciated? Probably not, I myself often forget to even leave an endorsement on Nexus, which is really the minimum level of courtesy if you've enjoyed someone's mod. I'm going to make sure I'm better at that in the future.

There are certainly some mods I wouldn't hesitate to donate for, finances willing. But I'd only do that if I knew the author or team was getting at least the majority of that money, if not all of it; the best mods are often the ones adding custom assets and functionality to the game and not just using stock assets and scripts and to me those authors deserved more than a 25% cut of any profits. Mods like Frostfall which I couldn't play Skyrim without now, and such professionally made mods like Falskaar (which to me offered a fair bit of superior quest design than the Dragonborn DLC), I would happily donate for those. 
GG2U

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 4:26pm

and worked reasonably well, a bit of drama aside

I think that the TES modding scene has had more than 'a bit' of drama even before this paid mods stuff. Never heard of the Giskard Incident?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 4:41pm
I wasn't into Oblivion at the time, learned about him after he quit public modding, though didn't get to read the (supposed) full story until recently. I actually joined his site and was there for I guess a few months but left after making a bug report for his latest mod and he outright accused me of lying about it as well as lying about another mod of his in a thread on his forum which didn't even exist. He did make good mods but the guy's a paranoid arsehole who thinks everyone is out to get him. The other side of his little conflict isn't much better, they both have stories up on their sites that contradict each other's version of events and they're probably both full of shit. Bottom line is though that that the other guys I've dealt with who Giskard brands trolls have always helped me with their mods when I needed it and responded with courtesy every time and don't make their mods hard to get. You basically had to kiss Giskard's arse to get his mods when I was on his site and I doubt it's any different now, not that I got the chance to tell, I tried to go back once just for a look and he'd deleted my account. 
GG2U

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 5:46pm
Yes that sounds about right. I'm not sure either side was entirely innocent there.

The point I was trying to make with bringing this up though is that I don't think the TES modding scene is as strong as it appears on the surface. Lots of internal conflict and I think the paid mods, even though knocked on the head quickly, will have only made that worse, as now mod creators will think players don't value their work. More may end up going private like Giskard or even decide to quit completely.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 6:11am
It's a fair point and I'm not sure I could blame them if they did, though it would be disappointing for certain, we sure don't need any new Giskard's in the TES modding scene. Much like the incident with Giskard and those other modders, neither side in this paid mods thing is entirely blameless for the current situation either. 

More on topic with this thread with The Witcher 3 just shy of 3 weeks away I've started to play through the first two games again in preparation (I presume save import will be a feature again). I already completed the first game again and have just started chapter 1 of the second one.

I am playing other stuff as well though. I've got myself addicted to Alien: Isolation even though I already completed it twice already and am on my third playthrough of that while I also started a few game of Warlock: Master of the Arcane as a change of pace, though I expect I'll not go much further with it, it's not really the sort of game that draws me back for that long. Skyrim I still go back to with my current character (now a level 111 nord vampire lord) every so often. 

Finally I have a new Terraria project on the go, which is to design a post apocalyptic settlement. I think it's coming on well. I've made a few buildings a literally bombed them a bit in game, as well as made cracks in the walls to show further damage, and also flooded the lower levels. NPC's live in the more patched up rooms above ground level or wood huts built on the more solid surfaces. 

Bit bright and happy setting for real atmosphere, but I can't spread corruption/crimson without NPC's moving out (maybe if I make them live high enough). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 4:45pm
Finished up my Witcher 2 run ready for the new game. Still working on the above Terraria project but now I'm mostly playing this:

#

Pretty solid RPG, but a couple of persistent crashes hold it back plus it's one of those games where combat is pretty easy so long as you're only facing one enemy but get two or more and you can lose all your health in seconds for one mistake. 

Also I restarted Telltale's The Walking Dead. I don't know why I never finished it the first time as I was enjoying it.

Edited by adg211288 - 08 May 2015 at 5:15pm
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 5:48pm
^It may be different based on which version you play, but for me Venetica was literally unplayable: I can't remember the exact specifics, but I know I needed a certain ability in order to advance the plot, but I needed to find a certain NPC and I couldn't, because he had totally disappeared from the game. What a joke! Even when the game did work, I found the combat really clunky, and as you said, trying to fight more than one enemy at a time almost never worked out. I liked the main character and the lock picking was hilarious, but that was about it.

My main game right now is a Japanese RPG called Omega Quintet. It has its quirks but the combat is really fun, outside of some insanely cheap bosses: It's a turn-based game where you can see the turn order on the upper right side of the screen, but guess what? Sometimes the boss can use an ability called "order break", where they can interrupt your turns, and because a major aspect of combat is building up for huge combos, if they use it at the wrong time they can disrupt your whole strategy, and then this one boss I got stuck on would keep spamming this ability that hit my whole party with both damage and status effects, and so either I'd get completely wiped out or be basically screwed by the time I got another turn. I eventually got past it due to sheer luck, but man was it annoying. I'm liking the game a lot aside from little frustrations like that, though. 

I'm considering getting Witcher 3 at the end of the month, but I'm still debating it. I liked what I played of the original on my brother's computer, but I didn't like the combat in 2 much at all and I gave up on it because the last scene of act 1 one was so generic for a supposedly well written game, that I just got fed up and never returned to it. I basically need to watch someone play it on youtube for at least an hour or 2 (including a little bit of main plot footage to see if it bugs me again or not), before I decide if I get it or not. I usually wouldn't want to spoil that kind of game, but after my experience with 2, I need to be absolutely sure before I buy it, and not just give in to all the hype. I like what I've seen from Ciri, but only using in her specific (and apparently linear) sections means that won't effect my decision much at all.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 2:47am
I never encountered anything like that in Venetica. I think I must be getting near the end of the game without any game breakers. My main problem is that the game always crashes without fail when talking to Leon in your Guild and more often than not it also crashes outside the Windmill Tavern en route to Venice. But combat remains the game's biggest drawback for me. I expect I'll end up rating it about a 6.

The Witcher 2 is one of my favourite games and I do not mind its combat system in general, though it is a lot more basic to the first game's. I have to admit though I do kinda find the combat unbalanced in the game. Everything is too easy if you set to easy yet if you go up to normal you encounter some early fights that are just insanely hard for your current level. The fight with Letho in chapter 1 comes to mind. I can't get near him to deal any damage on normal before he's decimated my health bar. 

I'm interested in what scene you mean though when you say it was generic, given that the end of the first act if different depending on your choices. Was it with Roche or Iorveth?
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:13am
^Let's just say, the scene I hated involved a certain someone getting kidnapped. I hated it, because the game is touted for some having amazing writing, and yet that's one of the most tired and overused gaming tropes ever, so that combined with my struggles with the combat added up to a point where I was just completely fed up with the game. And yeah, my biggest problem regarding combat was the difficulty: One of the prologue fights was so nasty I ended up switching to easy early on, and then everything was too easy for a while, so it never really felt right at all. I'm hoping the third game does a better job in that area, as I'm now at a point where I can get over not liking a plot if I enjoy the gameplay enough. 

I don't remember having any crashes in Venetica, so I guess the console version and PC version have their own unique sets of flaws. And I'm pretty sure I got close to the end when my glitch happened. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:33am
I see. Thing is that's a major turning point in the story, a real game changer in terms of plot that allows the rest of the story to develop and also affects the end of the game no matter whose side you choose after that, so that in turn will affect The Witcher 3 if you use save import (which I believe has been confirmed, for PC at least).
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:31pm
Been playing a bit of Fallout 3/New Vegas again, merged into one using the Tale of Two Wastelands mod. Don't think I'll ever be playing them unmerged again. Still this ends tomorrow because:

Finally!

Edited by adg211288 - 18 May 2015 at 12:31pm
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 1:03pm
OH man how I envy you! I'll not buy the new witcher until I buy a new graphics card, which is not going to happen soon ;p 

Also, this... man... it's jawdropping:
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 4:34pm
I'm pretty sure my brother gets to play that, in like 2 hours, due to preordering it. After watching several videos, I like what I've seen enough that I'll probably get it at the end of the month when I have more money, unless my brother tells me the combat is awful.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:21pm
It actually went 'live' on Steam about 20 minutes ago but I still can't play the damn thing yet because guess what?

Day 1 Patch.

Unbe-fucking-lievable. 

Damn it I only want a quick look before going to bed before starting the game in earnest tomorrow. 
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:25pm
Well, I guess it's to be expected with a game this big.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 94>
  Share Topic