Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 12:12am
I never really got into trading, have a couple bad unusuals but that's it

Most of what I play is 6v6, it's fun
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 11:44am
I've been playing some FTL recently and man, this game's freaking hard. Awesome but hard as hell. I've promised myself I wouldn't play it anymore but I most certainly will some time soon. And I'll cry over my ship falling apart somewhere in a galaxy, far far away. Fuck this game!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:41pm
It feels really good when you finally get your first victory in that game
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:09pm
The amount of luck you need to even stand a chance against the ships in later sectors is a bit of an overkill to me. I mean, the game certainly requires lots of planning and strategy but if you're unlucky, nothing's gonna help you. In the last playthrough (4th of 5th so far) I've been about to make it to the last sector but I thought "one last system, nothing stood up a chance against me until now, so why not!" suddenly a ship at least twice as powerful attacks me and destroys my ship before I can even charge up the engines and get the fuck out of there ;d I would need at least 300 more scrap to pimp my ship and face that guy and it would still be tough. 

I'm too proud to play on easy and apparently too lame to win on normal Cry Still have a lot to learn about the game mechanics though. I heard people had been playing it for tens of hours before winning.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:27pm
I tried that game once and rage quit pretty quickly after losing my ship to the first thing I ran afoul of.  
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:38pm
Yeah, learning the mechanics solidly helps a lot.  Best system upgrades, best ways to use crewmembers, how to deal with boarders effectively, best guns, etc

I highly recommend learning to board enemy ships properly, for the scrap bonus you get.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:10pm
With The Witcher 3 drawing ever closer I have started to replay the first two games in preparation for it. I haven't been this psyched for an upcoming game since Skyrim. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:14pm
Been mostly playing Medal of Honor on the PS1 as of late. Finally got past the level I was stuck on, and now at 50%. Big smile
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:20pm
anyone play mlb the show games or similar(other mlb games)? I just a few days got mlb the show 14 for my vita and am absolutly terrible at batting. i am decent enough at everything else though. anyone got any tips to help me get better at batting?
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:44am
I tried it last year on PS3. Ironically enough, I was just fine with the batting (not special or anything, but I could usually get at least 3-5 runs per game,) but I was so bad at the pitching, I ended up giving up on it. Like, every time I had a decent game going, I'd somehow screw it up and either walk a bunch of guys (I really had no idea had to control the location of my pitches at all,) or give up a bunch of home runs.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 5:10pm
To all the PC gamers, what are your thoughts about this?

I pretty much agree with all the points he makes in the video, I find nothing wrong with modders wanting money for their work but Valve shouldn't be getting a whopping 75% of the money.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 1:31am
I find a lot of mods to be better quality and add more to the game than official DLC's ever have.

With that said, I am most definitely against the placing of mods behind a paywall. That's not what modding has ever been about and thriving communities for Skyrim and he previous two TES games, as well as Fallout 3/New Vegas proves it. It would be fine if the system was like that of bandcamp where you can pay what you want including getting it for free, however the current system isn't good for either the mod makers or the players. The mod makers devalue their hard work for effectively selling it for a 25% cut and it's far too easy for players to exploit the system if they have ill intentions (pay for mod, download it, back up files, request refund in 24 hours, return files to Skyrim folder = free (pirated) mod) and also far too easy for players with no ill intentions to get screwed over, as mods don't always conveniently start causing problems within the first 24 hours of install. Skyrim is far too huge a game for a 24 hour refund window to be effective. 

I've played with mods on my Bethesda games since Morrowind and the process is hardly smooth. At the end of the day mods will never be official content whether you pay for them or not and Valve/Bethesda isn't going to care if a mod you pay for ends up screwing your save, even if between them they have 75% of what you paid for it. The responsibility is down to the mod maker who in my experience probably won't be able to help or will be unwilling to due to deciding to end support for the mod, which happens a lot in modding as the creators move onto different projects or their day job gets in the way. 

Already in the couple of days since this system launched problems have been evident. Mods get pulled because other mod makers take exception to a mod making money that requires their free mod to fully function and popular modders back out of the scene. 

Here's where I think the biggest problem is though: Skyrim mods have been free since they launched and every mod maker up until this point has still modded the game out of a labour of love rather than with profit in mind. Someone in a suit however smelled a profit to be made (exploit) and so made a deal that has caused the dynamic of the modding community to be completely changed, and not for the better. This idea stinks of corporate greed, not having mod makers interests at heart. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 1:47am
Valve doesn't take 75% of it.  Valve takes 30%, literally same as everything else on Steam.  Bethesda was offered to choice for what their cut is, and decided to take 45% (leaving the modders with the remaining 25%).

Everybody blaming Valve for this 1) knows nothing about how the company has historically been run (they are very "free market" and don't like to tell devs what to do) and 2) has been misinformed.

There is also absolutely nothing forcing mods to be paid, absolutely nothing prevents the usual free mods that exist in abundance.  The mindset behind adding paid mods as an option is to encourage full-time content creation & in theory improve quality of available mods.  It may have not worked properly, but I don't think Valve really did anything wrong.

Oh another thing, lots of people have been claiming they are being censored or banned by Valve in some way relating to this, but 99% of those case were actually banned because of credit card chargebacks on their purchases - which would get you automatically banned from any gaming platform, not just steam

edit:  I have to say, Bethesda's business model has always depended on modders fixing their busted-ass games, so I'm not surprised by their actions here

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 26 Apr 2015 at 1:51am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 2:00am
A few choice quotes from Gabe Newell on the issue:

"The pay-outs are set by the owner of the game that is being modded."

"Our view of Steam is that it's a collection of useful tools for customers and content developers.  With the Steam workshop, we've already reached the point where the community is paying their favorite contributors more than they would make if they worked at a traditional game developer. We see this as a really good step.  The option of MOD developers getting paid seemed like a good extension of that."

"Our goal is to make modding better for the authors and gamers. If something doesn't help with that, it will get dumped. Right now I'm more optimistic that this will be a win for authors and gamers, but we are always going to be data driven."

"Skyrim is a great example of a game that has benefitted enormously from the MODs. The option for paid MODs is supposed to increase the investment in quality modding, not hurt it."

"In general we are pretty reluctant to tell any developer that they have to do something or they can't do something. It just goes against our philosophy to be dictatorial."

"We would be reluctant to force a game developer to do "x" for the same reason we would be reluctant to force a mod developer to do "x." It's just not a good idea. For example we get a lot of pressure to police the content on Steam. Shouldn't there be a rule? How can any decent person approve of naked trees/stabbing defenseless shrubberies? It turns out that everything outrages somebody, and there is no set of possible rules that satisfies everyone. Those conversations always turn into enumerated lists of outrageous things. It's a lot more tractable, and customer/creator friendly to focus on building systems that connect customers to the right content for them personally (and, unfortunately, a lot more work).

So, yes, we want to provide tools for mod authors while avoiding coercing other creators/gamers as much as possible."

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 26 Apr 2015 at 2:01am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Valve doesn't take 75% of it.  Valve takes 30%, literally same as everything else on Steam.  Bethesda was offered to choice for what their cut is, and decided to take 45%

I guess I should have done more research, that is certainly much more reasonable of a cut. I'm not sure where I stand to be honest, I don't see anything wrong with modders wanting some money if they worked really hard on something, but there hasn't seemed to be anything wrong with the modding community previously. I must admit I'm not too knowledgeable about modding, Doom is the only game that I've played mods on.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 3:07am
I don't know much about the modding community, so I can't really add much to this (though my brother is heavily into Skyrim mods and he is quite upset about the changes) but I just wanted to mention this hilarious response from an obviously angry player on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431426494&searchtext= 

The third and fourth images are especially great.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 11:52am
I think one of the biggest reasons there is as much reaction as there is, is that certain modders are pulling all their files off Nexus and other free sites to sell them on Steam.  Again, not Valve's fault.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I think one of the biggest reasons there is as much reaction as there is, is that certain modders are pulling all their files off Nexus and other free sites to sell them on Steam.  Again, not Valve's fault.

Not that I'm directly concerned, I'm neither a Skyrim fan nor a modding fan. But I understand the outrage and IT IS 100% Valve's fault. "Oh our precious Valve's getting naughty". Valve is way overrated anyway, the last good game they made was Half-Life 2 in the fucking 2004 (I don't consider multiplayer games good ;)). Now they're just another bloodsucking corp with a slightly better PR than lame idiots from EA and Ubisoft. 

Let's face it, gaming industry is rotten. DRM-free developers and shops like GOG is what's left. But they're just a drop in the bucket.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:14pm
Again, you ignore the fact that it's Bethesda taking a massive cut.  Valve offers a massively popular online distribution system through Steam, and they take a 30% cut regardless of the product for sale on it.  Whether you think that's fair or not, it's always been their policy.  Nothing they've done here is any different from how Steam has always been run.

There are a grand total of 18 Skyrim mods for sale on Steam, and somehow that's enough to make people go "that's it I hate Valve I'm deleting my Steam account blah blah blah."  It's primarily outrage-whores looking for something to be mad about (no offense intended, of course)

I agree gaming industry is overwhelmingly rotten, but Valve is as free-market as they've ever been, and nothing here should surprise anybody.  I would still pick Valve any day over publishers that actively spit in the face of their customers, like EA, Ubisoft, or Activision.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 27 Apr 2015 at 2:16pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:20pm
Another way to look at it:  what would the reaction have been if Bethesda took 0% of mod sales, and the modder got 70%? Not a single thing from Valve would have changed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 94>
  Share Topic