MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vinyl record background noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vinyl record background noise
    Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 7:26pm
i have asked questions on here before. Man this has been ticking me off for the past week. i got 12 records from a thrift store for only $3.00 last week and i have been having some issues with one that i can't seem to resolve. what it is is background noise. first i will start off by saying that if i get a completely badly scratched record i can resurface it with 1500 grit sand paper from the auto parts store. what you do is hold the paper so it drapesover both sides and sand applying light pressure to each of the records tracks. once that is done you have to wipe off the dust that the sanding left behind. i found this method and it works great. 98% of the time. also if there is  still background noise i use wood glue. the wood glue method is all over youtube. i did the sanding once than touch ups and wood glue method twice on side one and still get backgroumd noise on this album. so next i tried soap and water and that didnt work. so i read online that tap water can leave mineal deposits deep on the bottom of the record grooves. so i go today and get some distilled water which is better and wiped down the record with it. it didnt work. same when i tried distilled water and dish soap.                       what the hell am i doijg wrong? the record surface looks scratch free except for some minor minor gouges and the finish you get from sanding. please help me i so badly want to listen to this moody blus album without thi background noise.       p.s. all this cleaning has up improved the records sound quality but not made it better to the point of no annoyance. also i have not cleaned side 2 past sanding as im still trying to sort out side one first.

Edited by vmoore - 27 Sep 2014 at 7:27pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 1:02am
If the record is physically damaged enough, there's nothing you can do about it.  That's the nature of the medium.  Sandpaper can't restore the grooves.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

If the record is physically damaged enough, there's nothing you can do about it.  That's the nature of the medium.  Sandpaper can't restore the grooves.
yeah but I have used sandpaper all the time and scratches have went away
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 12:29pm
If anything sandpaper will make it worse.  You can only "remove" music from the LP, not add it back if the grooves are damaged.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 12:58pm

If anything sandpaper will make it worse.  You can only "remove" music from the LP, not add it back if the grooves are damaged.
then how come i have in th past got better sound from some of my records from sanding them? oviosly if it was ruining them i wouldn't do it. but for some reason nothing i do is fixing this one record. yes sandpaper can make a record worse, that is only if you are using the wrong kine. you have to use 1500 grit or finer all the sandpaper does is remove the scratches that are on th top of the recrd i believe.

Edited by vmoore - 28 Sep 2014 at 1:02pm
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

then how come i have in th past got better sound from some of my records from sanding them? oviosly if it was ruining them i wouldn't do it. but for some reason nothing i do is fixing this one record. yes sandpaper can make a record worse, that is only if you are using the wrong kine. you have to use 1500 grit or finer all the sandpaper does is remove the scratches that are on th top of the recrd i believe.

I never heard of sanding a vinyl LOL
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 3:15pm
Wow so much Work for one Moody Blues album, which there are literally hundreds of thousands of in the World (or maybe even millions). I´d just go buy a new copy.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 12:54pm
so there is nothing I can do for it?
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 3:16pm
To reiterate what Colin said I think you really can't do much with a vinyl that has already been used up or not working
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image