MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Helstar Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helstar Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 6:01pm
I just thought I would make this thread for one of the most underrated bands in Thrash/Power metal Big smile

One of my favorites from the album I'm writing a review on right now Smile

Edited by Unitron - 20 Sep 2014 at 6:02pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 6:19pm
Never got around to listening to them. I will Smile
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 11:16pm
I am the same. There is just too much music for one dog to hear so recommendations are always welcome. This is a band i am not familiar with. I have seen the name for a while but haven't checked them out. The video you provide is a good one but this particular strain of power metal seems very 80s glam metal influenced. I will check them out with an open mind and hope to discover some treasures along the way. Thanks for the recommends
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 11:22pm
No problem, I'm always happy to recommend favorites of mine Smile 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 1:22am
Unitron, what would you recommend from Helstar?

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 5:50am
Vastly underrated band and one of my personal favourites.

You cant go wrong with the majority of their catalogue.

Their latest "This Wicked Nest" was released in April this year.

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 10:17am
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Like Colt said, you can't go wrong with a lot of their stuff. I would personally recommend 'A Distant Thunder', 'Nosferatu', or one of their recent albums to start with Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Like Colt said, you can't go wrong with a lot of their stuff. I would personally recommend 'A Distant Thunder', 'Nosferatu', or one of their recent albums to start with Smile

OK cool. I usually start a journey with a band with their first album. I disregard what people tell me or what the discography has to offer most of the time LOL

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 1:55pm

OK cool. I usually start a journey with a band with their first album. I disregard what people tell me or what the discography has to offer most of the time LOL

Their debut 'Burning Star' definitely wouldn't be a bad place start, their debut is great too Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 2:00pm

Their debut 'Burning Star' definitely wouldn't be a bad place start, their debut is great too Smile

Awesome. I got to get going with that eventually. Thanks for the recommendation Smile

Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:44pm
Nosferatu is one of the best metal albums ever recorded and I am saying that without any trace of hyperbole whatsoever. A power/thrash masterpiece. A cornucopia of goddamn AWESOME riffs. Godly vocals and just the right amount of technical playing. And a kick-ass guitar duo. Most importantly, GREAT songs. 

It is an album of Rust in Peace calibre. Right from the very start you will be hooked, that intro just kicks your ass. Then the main song kicks in and it's even better. Then the third song starts and you will not believe how the hell they manage to write such monumental riffs. 

An air guitarist's heaven. Seriously, this album is PERFECT.

And their entire discography is great, first two for old school heavy metal, gradually getting heavier and more technical. A Distant Thunder is the album that brings the talent of Andre Olbrich on guitar who along with Larry Barragan took the band to a whole new level. Nosferatu is the pinnacle of their co-operation, a real shame they did not get along and Andre left. The following albums are good albums, well worth checking out (my favourite song from the new era would be Trinity of Heresy, look it up, great song) but they don't match Nosferatu. But very, very few albums do.

Burning Star is a good start, sure, it's just that they play a very different kind of metal, with the only connecting element being the vocals of James Rivera. 

My recommendation would be listening to Nosferatu and then Destiny's End - Breathe Deep the Dark (1998). Features James Rivera and a fantastic band behind him writing the closest thing we got to Nosferatu.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image