MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was Metallica really responsible ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Metallica really responsible ?
    Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:51pm
As of late, I have been watching the documentary series entitled Metal Evolution and in it  it said that Metallica made Thrash and other side of Metal(the more menacing side of it) more accessible to the masses (there is a legitimate claim to this argument). Do you believe that this is true? I can understand what they are talking in sense(because many bands decided to follow or truly followed that route) but I don't really believe it because bands could have easily decided to stick with their guns(like Slayer for example) and say "screw that we're not changing". Let me know what you think. Was Metallica really responsible for this?
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:58pm
Well Metallica was certainly a big component in the popularity of Thrash, but I don't really think they were the only ones. I think one of the reasons for Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer being named 'The big four of thrash' is that all those bands all had a big part to play in the development of thrash metal. Smile

I can also see where they are coming from though, seeing as Metallica seemed to get the most popularity. Seems like an interesting series though, is it on DVD or is it an online series? Tongue
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 5:09pm
Metallica were the greatest and most popular thrash metal act of the 80s and was a huge influence on thousands of artists. You won´t find many thrash metal acts out there who don´t site Metallica as a major influence on their music, but you´ll find quite a few who won´t mention one or more of the other three. I think that says it all.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Well Metallica was certainly a big component in the popularity of Thrash, but I don't really think they were the only ones. I think one of the reasons for Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer being named 'The big four of thrash' is that all those bands all had a big part to play in the development of thrash metal. Smile

I can also see where they are coming from though, seeing as Metallica seemed to get the most popularity. Seems like an interesting series though, is it on DVD or is it an online series? Tongue

It is an intereting series. You can watch the series online at VH1Classic.com or buy the 11-part series on DVD

Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 7:19am
I believe that to a certain extent, yes, Metallica founded the thrash movement in the US, especially in the Bay Area and then the world began to recognize that. But 90s here believe that the band lost the post to other bands driven by them as Slayer, Exodus, Testament, among others, continue doing thrash metal today, diferent to Metallica. Metallica is currently one excelent metal band, but the thrash was for history.

Ps:
Sorry for my stupid English. Wink

Edited by Gabimm - 05 Jan 2015 at 7:23am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:22am
I think people tend to forget just how important Metallica were in the 80s. I know that hating on them is popular now, but, if it weren't for them, a lot of the really good thrash bands out there today, would never have existed. In the documentary Get Thrashed, Gene Hoglan attribute the birth of thrash metal to the fact that Metallica "got good" and that the other bands in the scene had to improve their own chops to keep up with Metallica.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:27am
Many artists and historians mention Exodus as one of the originators of thrash, predating Metallica, but Metallica got big almost instantly, and a band like Exodus only ever achieved relative success. But that was the case for many other thrash metal artists from the 80s like Forbidden, Vio-Lence, and Heathen, just to mention a few other contemporary acts.

To my ears it´s a question of quality. Not that the above mentioned acts didn´t produce some quality material, but Metallica always stood out as something very special, and apparently I´m not the only one who heard it Big smile.

Edited by UMUR - 05 Jan 2015 at 9:29am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:50am
Yeah, like Gene the mean caffeine machine said "Metallica got good" :-)
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 10:13am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

To my ears it´s a question of quality. Not that the above mentioned acts didn´t produce some quality material, but Metallica always stood out as something very special, and apparently I´m not the only one who heard it Big smile.

What Jonas said.
Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I think people tend to forget just how important Metallica were in the 80s. I know that hating on them is popular now, but, if it weren't for them, a lot of the really good thrash bands out there today, would never have existed. In the documentary Get Thrashed, Gene Hoglan attribute the birth of thrash metal to the fact that Metallica "got good" and that the other bands in the scene had to improve their own chops to keep up with Metallica.

Yes, it is indisputable! Metallica opened doors and introduced the thrash metal in the world!

Many artists and historians mention Exodus as one of the originators of thrash, predating Metallica, but Metallica got big almost instantly, and a band like Exodus only ever achieved relative success. But that was the case for many other thrash metal artists from the 80s like Forbidden, Vio-Lence, and Heathen, just to mention a few other contemporary acts.

Yes, I agree.

Edited by Gabimm - 05 Jan 2015 at 7:34pm
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:49pm
Was Metallica responsible for creating guitars? bass? drums? NO
Were they responsible for creating metal? No
Thrashy metal? No (Motorhead and Venom)
Incorporating classical music into metal? YES!
And a damn fine job at that. They perfected a hybrid hinted at since Deep Purple AND pulled it off.
Kudos to them. WTF happened after the black album though? I know some like that stuff but no one can claim that it was innovative or cutting edge, just ok.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 10:08pm
If Metallica was the most popular thrash band, it was only because they were the least thrash of them all
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

If Metallica was the most popular thrash band, it was only because they were the least thrash of them all

Clap

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 1:56am
I don´t think that´s true at all. I think the first four Metallica albums are far more thrashy than most of Megadeth and Anthrax music, just to pull out a few examples of contemporary artists.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 10:55am
That's exactly my point. People tend to forget that, and they tend to forget the historical perspective as well.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 12:35pm
If you listen to those four albums, they are also far more aggressive (though also varied enough to include acoustic guitar sections and other more sophisticated elements), than a lot of other acts from those days. I´m pretty sure no one had ever heard anything as fast and aggresssive as Kill ´em All when that album was released (maybe Steve can put some historical perspective on that statement). I actually listened to Ride the Lightning yesterday, and there are some very hard edged riffing on that album too.

Edited by UMUR - 06 Jan 2015 at 12:35pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 12:47pm
I have to disagree with Metallica being the least thrash of them all.

They may not have been the most thrash, compared to the brutal Slayer, but their first four albums are full of aggressive riffing and vocals, pounding drums and pretty much all that Jonas has been saying. I must say that they were more thrash then Anthrax and Megadeth. Anthrax, even though being one of my favorites, implemented various metal styles. Megadeth focused more on speed.

Edited by Unitron - 06 Jan 2015 at 12:47pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I have to disagree with Metallica being the least thrash of them all.

They may not have been the most thrash, compared to the brutal Slayer, but their first four albums are full of aggressive riffing and vocals, pounding drums and pretty much all that Jonas has been saying. I must say that they were more thrash then Anthrax and Megadeth. Anthrax, even though being one of my favorites, implemented various metal styles. Megadeth focused more on speed.

Exactly!

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 3:00am

I´m pretty sure no one had ever heard anything as fast and aggresssive as Kill ´em All when that album was released (maybe Steve can put some historical perspective on that statement)

A band that has already been mentioned was already pushing the boundaries at the time...Venom.

Metallica were different. They just stood out, sometimes a band arrives and you just know they are destined for huge success, that was Metallica.

Lets not forget Slayer were a straight up metal band before they saw Metallica play.

Perhaps that answers the original question?

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 4:32am
Yeah I know Venom had a really dark and aggressive sound a couple of years before Metallica released their debut, but to my ears they weren´t really thrash, but more a fast occult themed heavy metal act (or proto-thrash if you will). Of course they were incredibly influential on the thrash metal genre, but really fast and aggressive thrash metal with sharp edgy riffing, I´m not sure I´d credit Venom with that.

...and yeah the Slayer thing is pretty interesting too, and it´s obvious when you listen to Show No Mercy, that they still had a lot of heavy metal influences in their music, which is only to a lesser degree audible on Kill ´em All, which is actually the most raw and aggressive release out of those two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic