Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal's Back - Girls Get The Credit!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metal's Back - Girls Get The Credit!
    Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 10:59am

According to the Guardian newspaper in the UK, rock and metal is making a resurgence. The Radio 1 Rock Show is moving from Midnight to 2am Monday morning to a prime-time three hour Sunday slot on the country's biggest pop radio station. And apparently it's the ladies who are the fastest growing consumers of this highest of art forms -

Edited by Bosh66 - 14 Aug 2014 at 11:32am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 11:14am
Not surprising really. I see more and more girls at metal shows these days. Even the extreme bands have a female audience today, which definitely wasn´t the case when I first started going to shows in the early- to mid 90s. Great Development Thumbs Up
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 4:46pm
I wasn,t aware that metal ever went away but if it,s getting even more popular than very cool ☆★☆
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I wasn,t aware that metal ever went away but if it,s getting even more popular than very cool ☆★☆

Not for you, me and the lads and lasses on here maybe, but mainstream UK has been a metal-free zone for some time now. It's easy to find if you go looking for it, but its rarely played on mainstream tv or radio except ironically Angry
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 2:00am
Personally, I'd hate it if metal became mainstream.

When you hear the garbage written (well sometimes) and played by some of the modern well known "acts", it only sells because of airplay.

I like the fact that you have to hunt down and find the best music around.

Just like Kim's new review of Black Trip's "Goin' Under"

You think you have a handle on new releases and then something as good as that still sneaks through.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 2:22am
I don´t think metal will ever be mainstream. A few acts will occasionally break through and make waves (like Metallica did), but it will never be the rule. My enthusiasm mostly stems from seing more girls at the shows Cool
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 2:33am
And I think that was the main driver of the story - more women coming on board. And the fact that the hard rock and metal fans who are out there (in good numbers) are not as well catered for as they could / should be.

As for being mainstream, most of the bands I listen to could never be mainstream. They're too experimental, extreme or heavy to ever be easy listening Big smile
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 2:48am
I guess I should explain.

If someone told me I should listen to R1, in any format, I'd wonder when they'd hit their head.

Rock to R1 = Coldplay, The Killers....

Don't get me wrong I'm all for more girls in metal and especially at gigs! Put your tongue in Jonas.

However, my youngest daughter is the latest to follow in my footsteps with a taste for guitar driven music; Paramore, The Marmozets, Bring Me The Horizon, Asking Alexandria...

Girls + rock/metal doesn't necessarily mean the same as we do.

Just saying Tongue

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 6:12am
The tongue is out!!! TonguePig
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 1:17am
Awesome. Love the ladies and what they can do (we are talking about their musical abilities here)

Cool
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic