MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree 'Lazarus EP'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree 'Lazarus EP'
    Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 10:21am
The EP 'Lazarus' is in singles instead of EP's and it is called 'Metal Related' when it is an EP from after they became a prog metal band Tongue

Should this be fixed?

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 10:33am
That's because it is a single and not an EP. Can't speak for the genre tagging though.

Porcupine Tree were one of a few bands added to MMA as an exception before we have the Metal Related subs because their work had some significant metal elements, despite not being considered, generally speaking, a metal band. It's possible even that their later albums should be retagged now we do have a Metal Related sub (which is for releases that have metal elements but can't at minimum be considered as much metal as something else, in this case prog rock). But I haven't listened to any Porcupine Tree albums to comment on that. I would have to check with the team if it was ever even discussed. 

Edited by adg211288 - 20 Jul 2014 at 10:38am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 11:07am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

That's because it is a single and not an EP. Can't speak for the genre tagging though.

Oh, sorry I always thought it was an EP Tongue My mistake.

but about Porcupine Tree's genre, They really have always had some metal elements in their music (Example: Dislocated Day on Sky moves Sideways or the finale of Russia on Ice from lightbulb). Even though not every song on their In absentia album onwards are metal, their base sound did become metal, like Dream Theater is a metal band but they make a lot of ballads that are not metal. Just my opinion though Smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 11:17am
I think they are generally more progressive rock than metal, and I would support all their releases being moved to metal-related instead of some of them being tagged progressive metal.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 12:14pm
I think their In absentia onwards releases should stay in prog metal Tongue
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 2:07pm
I tend to agree with Unitron. Not that I'd shed too many tears if the consensus was otherwise. They're certainly as metallic as many other melodic prog metal bands.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 2:33pm
I think it´s usually only a couple of tracks on each of the "newer" releases that features metal elements. Most of their tracks aren´t that metallic. To be tagged progressive metal I´d say progressive metal should be the primary genre. I don´t think that´s the case on any of Porcupine Tree´s releases.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 4:06pm
Jonas, this is one of those bands I listen to on occasion and over the years have heard many many times. Just finished Fear.. which I put on off the back of this thread and to be honest you may have a point. It isn't as consistently metal as I'd remembered.  I don't think it detracts hugely having this album tagged as prog metal. When they crank up the volume it certainly is metallic. There is more straight prog than I'd recalled though.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 5:59pm
I still think that Prog metal is their primary genre as far as their newer releases go. On FoaBP the only songs that are not as metallic are 'My Ashes' (still a great song though) and 'Sentimental' Smile

And Porcupine Tree is certainly more prog metal then Haken for example in my opinion. Tongue

Edited by Unitron - 20 Jul 2014 at 10:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic