MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holly Williams (Hank Jr.s daughter)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holly Williams (Hank Jr.s daughter)
    Posted: 31 May 2014 at 7:23am
Is it wrong that her 2013 album 'The Highway' is one of my favorite albums from last year?

I'm not even a country fan. I think I have a Hank Williams Jr's greatest hits album somewhere…that's it as far as I listen to country. A couple of guys on a guitar forum that I frequent mentioned that they loved this album. In order not to dismiss it outright, I went to youtube and checked out a couple of songs. I liked them so much, I bought the album back in January.

I'd easily put this in my top-10 albums of 2013, and I pretty much listen to prog & metal, bands like Porcupine tree, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Kamelot, Opeth, etc.

Somebody save me before I become countrified, and start saying' ya'all Tongue

Edited by Jbird - 31 May 2014 at 3:25pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 8:10am
The YouTube links aren't working for me, but there's no shame in enjoying ANY style of music. If it connects with you on some level, then enjoy it! Thumbs Up

Sometimes you'll find that dismissing entire genres before giving them a fair try can result in you missing out on some really great music. I assumed that all rap music was shit for years, but once I started listening to The Wu-Tang Clan, Nas, Big Pun, and NWA, I realized how stupid I was. LOL

Country is a genre that almost always rubs me the wrong way, but a few artists with strong touches of country (like Neil Young) appeal to me greatly. Keep exploring new sounds, and you'll find plenty of great listening experiences beyond the walls of prog and metal!
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 3:27pm
Hmmm, not sure why the links aren't working. Here's the link to the first vid. I tear up every time I listen to it Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk79WIgb7ng
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 2:00pm
No, why would it be wrong? You have to stop being so insecure about your musical tastes 

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 11 Sep 2014 at 2:01pm
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 4:57pm
Actually, listening to country is completely wrong, and he needs to turn in his MMA listening card on his way out.  LOL  Definitely, a genre that I do not like.  Although, The Devil Went Down To Georgia is a kick ass Country song.   Sadly, my home state of Michigan has actually surpassed the South with the number of people who count themselves as Country fans.  It makes me weepy.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Actually, listening to country is completely wrong, and he needs to turn in his MMA listening card on his way out.  LOL  Definitely, a genre that I do not like.  Although, The Devil Went Down To Georgia is a kick ass Country song.   Sadly, my home state of Michigan has actually surpassed the South with the number of people who count themselves as Country fans.  It makes me weepy.

I need to turn in mine too then. I listen to some Willie Nelson from time to time but I don't post it up too often Tongue
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 5:06pm
Growing up, my parents listened to a lot of Oldies but Goodies, but they would also listen to Country artists like Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, and Conway Twitty.  I actually didn't mind the stuff too much.  I remember they used to have a cassette of truck driver anthems that I quite liked.  I just decided a number of years ago that I didn't like the twanging and honestly, it is a good thing.  I really do not need any more genres to be obsessed with.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 1:36pm
Where are you at in MI, rushfan?

Bc/Kzoo area here

And yes, there's entirely too many country fans in Michigan, and not enough metal fans
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic