MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Psychedelic Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Psychedelic Metal
    Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 12:47am
I'm looking for some bands that could be described as "psychedelic metal".  I'm looking for stuff that's less stoner/doom oriented but other than that, the term's open to interpretation.  Some that I like already that may fit into the category: Sigh, Black Sabbath, Kayo Dot, Ethereal Riffian, Gigan, Alchemist.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 1:40am
Om, SubRosa, Giant Squid, Grayceon, Motorpsycho and *shels are pretty trippy.  Same with some of the albums Boris did.  That's all stoner/doom stuff though.

If you like Kayo Dot I assume you are familiar with maudlin of the Well?  You might also like Vaura if you haven't listened to them, another Toby Driver band.

Some of Devin Townsend's stuff might apply too

If you like black metal at all, Negura Bunget is cool.

I've always thought Melechesh had a sort of psychedelic element to them, as well

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 22 Mar 2014 at 1:47am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 2:51am
Hail Spirit Noir is a psychedelic black metal act: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/hail-spirit-noir
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 2:57am

I think Psychotic Waltz is a brilliant example of psychadelic progressive metal. Some of Cynic´s material are quite trippy too. Take the opening track to their latest album as an example of that.

The first two albums by Incubator also comes to mind and of course Voivod.

Edited by UMUR - 22 Mar 2014 at 2:58am
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 8:37pm
The second album by A Forest of Stars, "Opportunistic Thieves of Spring", is quite psychedelic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMd-Z8ZdIRg&list=PLFE3D4A9D789770D3
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 1:01pm
That's kind of a murky area. I think a lot of post metal and stoner doom metal could fall into that category. I tend to like the more progressive trippy bands and even trippy is a subjective term. I find bands like Mr Bungle and other avant garde metal bands to be trippy as well.

For what you're probably looking for is more in the psychedelic space metal realm (correct me if i'm wrong). All the bands mentioned so far are great places to start. I can only think of one other to add and that is a band from France called SMOHALLA. They are called black metal here but they have long spacey tripped out sections that sounds like what a black metal band sounds like if they have a krautrock fetish.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/smohalla
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 8:53pm
Tarantula Hawk is definitely worth checking out.
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 4:20pm
Shining (Norway) was pretty trippy before they got so black metal

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 3:29am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I think Psychotic Waltz is a brilliant example of psychadelic progressive metal.

That's actually the first band that came immediately to mind when I read the title of this threadBig smile. Like UMUR said, BRILLIANT example, they were the first metal band I listened to to whom the term 'psychedelic metal' first popped up into my mind and thought how awesome they sounded.Smile

Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 9:07am
I was just about to post the same thing with musiclover above, seconding UMUR's suggestion. 

You need to put Into the Everflow into your life.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 9:09am
Yeah Into the Everflow is an all time favorite of mine: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/into-the-everflow/214268
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 12:57pm
Late reply, but thanks for the recs everyone.

I've listened to Vaura, Motorpsycho and Cynic and thought they were pretty good. I really enjoy that Shining album and Om by Negura Bunget, and I'll keep Psychotic Waltz in mind to look up.

Some other psychedelic metal albums I've been listening to are Acid Motherhood by Gong, Long Distance Trip by Samsara Blues Experiment, Acid Mothers Temple, and I Wash my Soul in the Stream of Infinity by My Brother the Wind. Out of those, I'm most impressed with Long Distance Trip.

Does anyone think Estradasphere is psychedelic? I've been listening to them a lot, and they're quite impressive.

Edited by Earendil - 30 Jul 2014 at 1:01pm
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:10pm
Does anybody like Shpongle? I'm blown away by most of his material. This album (Nothing Lasts But Nothing is Lost) is phenomenal, and there's a track with a "metal" moment in it, so I thought I might as well post it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py0klurjiP0

Edited by Earendil - 30 Jul 2014 at 1:11pm
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

Does anybody like Shpongle? I'm blown away by most of his material. This album (Nothing Lasts But Nothing is Lost) is phenomenal, and there's a track with a "metal" moment in it, so I thought I might as well post it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py0klurjiP0

Someone else listens to Shpongle! Nice..'haven't listened to them in ages though(not since my experimentation phase, anyways!)...Very nice!!Thumbs Up

Edited by musiclover60sn70s - 06 Sep 2014 at 3:56pm
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 5:55pm
Looooove Shpongle. One of my all time musical faves. The first three albums are brilliant psybient masterpieces :---)
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 6:41pm
Man you guys got me craving now! Gonna have to go back and give' em a listen now.Smile
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by musiclover60sn70s musiclover60sn70s wrote:

Man you guys got me craving now! Gonna have to go back and give' em a listen now.Smile

Right. And don't forget to check out Tarantula Hawk, it's gonna crack you upTongue
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 1:49am
Psychedelic Metal?Geek Let me think about that for a moment
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image