Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mean Deviation: 4 Decades Of Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mean Deviation: 4 Decades Of Prog Metal
    Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 2:36am

Ths seasons must have for all Prog Metal fans!! ApproveThumbs Up

Mean Deviation; front cover

Fighting a tide of tradition and conservatism, progressive metal has proven to be one of the most viable, malleable forms in all of modern music; here its preeminent scholar tells the tale.

ISBN 978-09796163-3-4
High-quality 400pp trade paperback
Illus. w/over 100 images + 16pp full-color insert
Original cover artwork by Michel �Away� Langevin

< method=post =https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr> 

Mean Deviation zeroes in on heavy metal�s more cerebral, challenging, and even geeky side.��Ghetto Blaster

�Thank you, Jeff Wagner, for this massive information highway for all things progressive metal.��Paul Masvidal, Cynic/Death

�We now have a definitive book on the relationship between metal and progressive music.��Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree

Revered former Metal Maniacs editor Jeff Wagner analyzes the heady side of metal in this exhaustive history of a relentlessly ambitious musical subculture. Beginning with 1970s progressive rock acts Rush and King Crimson, Mean Deviation unfurls a colorful tapestry of sounds and styles, from the �Big Three� of 1980s prog metal�Queensr�che, Fates Warning, and Dream Theater�to extreme pioneers Voivod, Watchtower, and Celtic Frost. The flirtation between heavy metal and progressive rock grows with bold creative leaps, spawning countless valiant launches toward infinity. Today, the spark of inspiration thrives in obscure outposts such as Scandinavia, Florida, and Japan, bursting into full flame with the successes of prog metal overlords Opeth, Meshuggah, Tool, Between the Buried and Me, and their progressive peers.

According to Wagner: �Mean Deviation highlights many impossibly scattered bands and movements that widened the scope of the heavy metal genre. To some, progressive metal starts with Dream Theater and ends with an interminable stream of bands that sound like Dream Theater. By my interpretation, the term �progressive metal� allows for consideration of cosmic post-black metal band In the Woods, avant-garde metal surrealists Thought Industry, and those obscure purveyors of corrupted Swedish death metal, Carbonized-along with more obvious entries such as Fates Warning, Opeth, and, of course, Dream Theater.

�One thing prog metal certainly is, is metal. Hard and bold and brash, but refined, adulterated, and mutated; it is heavy metal taken somewhere illuminating and sometimes bizarre.�

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 7:31am
/edit:

Big 4 of Progressive Metal should obviously include Metallica. This is such a glaring omission, I guess that this was a simple typo.

Tongue
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 9:12am
That seems like a pretty cool book.  Smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 10:31am
That does look like it might be an interesting read.  I'd be curious to see bands that are included/excluded that are included in Prog Metal on PA or here on MMA.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 10:33am
I may have missed it in the above links, but is the book out already?  If not, when will it be out?
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 10:53am
Its November Dan.

Pre-orders are being taken now and full details that I copied to the initial post can be found here:

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

/edit:

Big 4 of Progressive Metal should obviously include Metallica. This is such a glaring omission, I guess that this was a simple typo.

Tongue

There are two things in life, Mark, that you can be certain of!

If there is a need to mention Metallica or Sweet in a topic we can rely on you to say it! Thumbs Up LOL
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:41am
I'm bumping this thread because a free excerpt from the book (I believe an entire chapter) is available for download on the website.  I will read it probably later this afternoon.

http://www.bazillionpoints.com/progress/
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:47am
The book is on my Xmas list, hopefully Santa will come up with the goods! LOL
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 12:54pm
Based on that chapter, it seems like an enjoyable read.  I look forward to reading the rest of it someday.

By the way, there is refernce in the chapter to a track Ron Jarzombek wrote as an audition piece for Fates Warning entitled "Fishies on Leashes".  It's up on myspace for those who haven't heard it: http://www.myspace.com/ronjarzombek/music/songs/fishies-on-leashes-57761445

Edited by Stooge - 14 Dec 2010 at 12:57pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 1:13pm
Sorry to bump old news, but I finally picked up my copy of this book, and look forward to reading it.  I hope that I'll discover a few bands I'm not  familiar with as well as learn more about those I do like. Smile
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 2:42pm
My copy arrived today too Cool
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

My copy arrived today too Cool

Nice.

I'd guess it only recently was released in stores because I've been looking for it at the bookstore (Chapters) at the mall whenever I go there.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:55am
Trusty old Amazon for me Big smile

Your order #203-1463283-5093108 (received February 27, 2011)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qty                           Item    Price        Delivery Subtotal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.co.uk items (Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.):

1                 Mean Deviation   12.59               1   12.59

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 9:48am
This was a great read.  They even critique what is or isn't progressive metal.  A whole chapter is dedicated to debating whether you can be progressive without breaking new ground.  Plus, they book brings up hundreds of bands (though often just in name-dropping) that are far from household names.  I'm going through many of the bands to give some a first listen, and others a second chance, and others I'd forgotten about entirely.  I'll be sure to re-read many sections to catch some of the groups not listed in the index.  Cool, cool stuff!! Headbanger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic