MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Enslaved (Axioma Ethica Odini)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Enslaved (Axioma Ethica Odini)
    Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 12:55pm
Enslaved's newest is set to release this September. Anyone else stoked for it? I was one of the few people who enjoyed Vertebrae thoroughly, though I do agree that they could have improved some parts.

Anyway, check out the first track on the album. It seems pretty awesome to me. I love the first half or so, and the guitar solo's pretty sweet, but I don't know about those clean vocals at the end. They seem to channel Muse and/or Coldplay, and I'm not sure how I feel about them.

Anyway, new Enslaved album, new track, discuss.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:05pm
Wow that�s a great track. A bit sharper sounding than the laid back Vertebrae ( which I also enjoy greatly). I can�t wait. Enslaved quickly became one of my favorite acts when they released Isa.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 1:22pm
Once again a band that I should have checked a long time ago, but still haven't. Perhaps soon...
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:11pm

I can highly recommend starting with Isa, but if you enjoy the more old school sound ( I know you do) the first couple of albums are probably more down your alley. The most old school sounding are http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/enslaved--vikingligr-veldi.aspx and http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/enslaved--frost.aspx.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/enslaved--eld.aspx and http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/enslaved--blodhemn.aspx are pretty much alike. Eld is usually the one with the "classic" status though.

From then on Enslaved began to incorporate more and more progressive elements to their sound with each album culminating in the release of Vertebrae where almost all black metal elements except for Grutle�s raspy vocals are gone from the music. They�ve morphed into something very unique over the years IMO.

Edited by UMUR - 14 Sep 2010 at 2:12pm
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:27pm
Thanks, that'll be helpful! I'll see to the band in the future - probably starting from the beginning.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:32pm

...and remember when I say progressive I don�t mean Dream Theater. More like progressive ala Pink Floyd or Hawkwind.

Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:43pm
Haha, yeah, I didn't expect them to be prog � la DT! Black metal bands slowly changing their style to something different (-> progressive) usually means quite interesting results (� la Ulver), so I won't be avoiding Enslaved's recent releases.

Speaking of Hawkwind, that is another project from the prog side that I am going to check out some day, I believe I could dig their stuff.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:21pm
I would also strongly recommend Below the Lights, the album before Isa. Someone recommended it to me on PA and it was pretty phenomenal. It's still black metal but there are some slightly slower but more technical sections in it, and AFAIK it's where they started incorporating the 70s prog into their sound.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:21pm
Yeah I think you might. Their first five studio albums are pretty excellent IMO. Repetitive psychadelic space rock. Really stoned and far out sci-fi lyrics.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:35pm
For a while I got confused, but then I realized you two just happened to post at the same minute. LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:46pm
Yep happens sometimesBig smile
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:56pm
So basically, just by including all the album both UMUR and I enjoy of Enslaved, all their albums are great albums. I don't know if it's true or not but I'm not about to hesitate, since I'm working on getting their back catalogue as much as possible.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:59pm
As I wrote in the now playing thread, I'm currently listening to the debut album. Sounds quite good to my ears, love the repetition! At times reminding me of Emperor, mostly thanks to the synths and Trym Torson behind the kit.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 6:45pm
I think it's pretty sad when you get only 3 posters in a thread about one of the most well known and legendary bands in metal, especially among black/viking fans.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 4:34pm
One of the tracks off the new album was included on the tenth Prognosis CD (the compilation CD that always comes with the Prog magazine), and I think it's quite cool. I also like the fact that there's a black metal track on a prog rock compilation CD :-)
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 12:35am
I got this album tonight and I have to say, upon first listen that I find it quite mesmerizing. It has a unique atmosphere, more surreal than Vertebrae by far, and way heavier. I highly recommend it based on my first listen.
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 6:48am
i loved the 'below the lights' and 'ruun' albums (which i have in my possession) - they represented the ballance between the earlyer 'eld'/'monumesion'/'mardraum' and long solos with lots of spacey feeling - but 'vertebrae' represented a huge downfall for me: it lacked the brutal parts of its predecesors, the atmospheric parts became dull, and i got bored by the album at my 4th or 5th spin in my player; it just seemed like they tried too hard to get the same balance, and they failed miserably

i don't really have any expectations from the new album, as i think it will follow the road taken by 'vertebrae'
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 8:35am
I picked this album up a few days ago, and I'm liking it.  I've only given it 2 listens so far.  It's my first Enslaved album, though the band has been on my radar for a few years now.  I was also going to grab their album Vertebrae, which was at a nearby used cd store, but someone had grabbed it before I had the chance.

Edited by Stooge - 01 Oct 2010 at 8:35am
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 1:37am
Originally posted by kogaionon kogaionon wrote:

i loved the 'below the lights' and 'ruun' albums (which i have in my possession) - they represented the ballance between the earlyer 'eld'/'monumesion'/'mardraum' and long solos with lots of spacey feeling - but 'vertebrae' represented a huge downfall for me: it lacked the brutal parts of its predecesors, the atmospheric parts became dull, and i got bored by the album at my 4th or 5th spin in my player; it just seemed like they tried too hard to get the same balance, and they failed miserably

i don't really have any expectations from the new album, as i think it will follow the road taken by 'vertebrae'

Axioma definitely didn't follow the trend they've been on lately. It's certainly a logical step after Vertebrae, but it's darker and heavier. I could possibly say it's like a spacier Below the Lights with less folk influence.

Below the Lights is phenomenal as well.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 5:45am
I bought it a couple of days ago, but haven't had the time to listen to it yet. It better be good.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic